Marriage Question for Christians

Cecilie1200

Diamond Member
Nov 15, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
I have a fun hypothetical for Christians, particularly those who feel strongly that their religion requires "one man-one woman" marriages.

Say a Muslim man in Saudi Arabia or some other Muslim country, who has two wives, converts to Christianity. Do you believe that God and Christianity would require him to put aside the second wife, or would they allow him to keep them both? Why or why not? Would the answer change if both wives had children with this man? Why or why not?

Sinners cannot be wed in the eyes of God

Im not seeing how your scenario effects the belief that a marriage is between one man and one woman.

Marriage = one man + one woman

The problem you have that you are looking at this scenario as if one man + two women = marriage. But that isnt the correct way to look at it because the women arent married to each other. There just happen to be 2 marriages here between one man + one woman. The man just happens to be the same in both marriages.

A marriage is a union between a man and a woman. There is nothing that says because someone is married multiple times they are no longer married... In fact, the idea is rather contradictory if you say it outloud.

As for whether that will effect anyone converting to Christianity in general, Id say absolutely not. There is nothing inherently incompatible with being Christian and having more than one wife. The Bible forbids it directly in no place and many of the righteous men in the Bible lived this life style.

As for my particular sect, we dont rely on the Bible alone, but rely on on going revelation, one of which forbids this practice. In that case, my guess is the family would be permitted to attend church but would be unable to be baptized until a time where there would be only one living marriage relationship possible or until a time they can be baptized through proxy after they have died. I would presume that the children from such families, since they are not married would be allowed to be baptized and would be able to preform the proxy ordinance at some point.

But then since we generally arent in those countries at the moment, im not sure the situation has ever come up.

Im not seeing how your scenario effects the belief that a marriage is between one man and one woman.

The problem you have that you are looking at this scenario as if one man + two women = marriage. But that isnt the correct way to look at it because the women arent married to each other. There just happen to be 2 marriages here between one man + one woman. The man just happens to be the same in both marriages.

A marriage is a union between a man and a woman. There is nothing that says because someone is married multiple times they are no longer married... In fact, the idea is rather contradictory if you say it outloud.

As for whether that will effect anyone converting to Christianity in general, Id say absolutely not. There is nothing inherently incompatible with being Christian and having more than one wife. The Bible forbids it directly in no place and many of the righteous men in the Bible lived this life style.

As for my particular sect, we dont rely on the Bible alone, but rely on on going revelation, one of which forbids this practice. In that case, my guess is the family would be permitted to attend church but would be unable to be baptized until a time where there would be only one living marriage relationship possible or until a time they can be baptized through proxy after they have died. I would presume that the children from such families, since they are not married would be allowed to be baptized and would be able to preform the proxy ordinance at some point.

But then since we generally arent in those countries at the moment, im not sure the situation has ever come up.

Careful you will make the anti Mormon segment of the board start ranting about how we really do have plural marriages and are evil incarnate.

☭proletarian☭;1937311 said:

According to whom?

In the Christian perspective, marriage is the joining together of two people into one complete being. Marriage is before God. That's why gays can't 'be truly married: God does not recognize the union.

Interestingly, in heaven, all these marriages are torn asunder, as all become the body of Christ's Church, joined in union with God.

Neither marriage would be recognized by the Catholic Church, so there would be no conflict at all. He'd just pick the one he wanted to marry and that would be that.

I can't speak for the other bastardized forms of Christianity. :)

I have a fun hypothetical for Christians, particularly those who feel strongly that their religion requires "one man-one woman" marriages.

Say a Muslim man in Saudi Arabia or some other Muslim country, who has two wives, converts to Christianity. Do you believe that God and Christianity would require him to put aside the second wife, or would they allow him to keep them both? Why or why not? Would the answer change if both wives had children with this man? Why or why not?

Just like in the case of a gay marriage, if the person becomes a Christian, they would have to do away with the unions already made because they are not recognized by God. Once a believer, you have to make some choices, and some of them are not easy. If you want to be within the will of God, you have to make some adjustments.

The Muslim can still chose one and marry her, but only one. However, unless that one is also a Christian, the union cannot be recognized as a marriage union according to His marriage design. "Not to be unequally yoked."

Careful you will make the anti Mormon segment of the board start ranting about how we really do have plural marriages and are evil incarnate.

I thought it was we Catholics who are evil incarnate! How confusing. Perhaps we should agree to share the honor of being the thorn in the side of the non-believers? :muahaha:

You know, considering that many figures in the Bible had several wives, as well as the fact that there isn't a Commandment about having only 1 wife, rather it just says do not commit adultery.

Adultery by the way, is taking the love that someone gives you, and give that same love to another, without telling the first.

In the cases of multiple marriage or people who swing? It's not adultery, as all parties are notified and involved.

Should the Muslim keep the wife upon conversion to Christianity? Yes. And, should be rewarded with 1,000 dollars for making a smart choice and choosing a religion of life over one that chooses death.

:( I am a good christian woman, and i believe in the good values, of family and support, but i am not going to point the finger, at my neighbor if his values of marriage are different from mine. I believe that there is someone out there for everyone.I do not believe in 1 man for 2 or more women. The Mormons feel that way, or at least some still do. But love knows no sexual preferences, be it man and woman, or man and man, or woman and woman. I have my values and i stick by them, for this is my choice in life, but i refuse to be the judge, jury and executioner, for any person that,has their own way of life and choice of Soulmate. As God says, Judge thee not lest Yee be judged thine own self.This is what i truly believe.

Last edited:
Jesus has innumerable brides. I think he would say to the Muslim, "Do as I do".

91_funny_nuns.jpg

My opposition to gay marriage is not religious; it is based on the law, But its interesting that you bring up polygamy. That's been called a red herring by the gay rights people. So do the gays want to include incest, polygamy, and other illegal marriages in their quest for "equal rights?" No wonder people are concerned.

My opposition to gay marriage is not religious; it is based on the law, But its interesting that you bring up polygamy. That's been called a red herring by the gay rights people. So do the gays want to include incest, polygamy, and other illegal marriages in their quest for "equal rights?" No wonder people are concerned.
That red herring reeks of Chanel #5.

Oh, I'm sure it has come up, if not for your particular church, since people from Middle Eastern countries do convert to Christianity quite a bit (and get persecuted and even killed for it, but I digress).

While I understand your logic on the subject, you DO realize that in Western nations where the law doesn't allow for polygamy, most Christians believe rather strongly that the Bible and Christianity call for monogamous marriage, right?

I found interesting what CS Lewis said on this subject in regards to the idea that humanity shares a basic moral standard that is inborn. He said that people may differ on whether a man may have one wife, or two or three, but they all agree that a man shouldn't simply be with any woman he likes, that he should make a commitment and take responsibility for his family, whatever type of formulation the culture he lives in specifies.

☭proletarian☭;1937889 said:
☭proletarian☭;1937311 said:

According to whom?

In the Christian perspective, marriage is the joining together of two people into one complete being. Marriage is before God. That's why gays can't 'be truly married: God does not recognize the union.

Interestingly, in heaven, all these marriages are torn asunder, as all become the body of Christ's Church, joined in union with God.

I'd be fascinated to know who gave you this particular take on Christianity, that only Christians can be married.

Just like in the case of a gay marriage, if the person becomes a Christian, they would have to do away with the unions already made because they are not recognized by God. Once a believer, you have to make some choices, and some of them are not easy. If you want to be within the will of God, you have to make some adjustments.

The Muslim can still chose one and marry her, but only one. However, unless that one is also a Christian, the union cannot be recognized as a marriage union according to His marriage design. "Not to be unequally yoked."

So you feel that it is the will of God that he abandon a woman he has made vows to and taken responsibility for and the children he had with her, despite knowing the consequences in a Middle Eastern country to a woman so disowned by her husband?

And are you saying that you believe the Bible says that a person who is already married and then becomes a Christian is no longer married if his spouse is not also Christian? Because you're dead wrong on that one. 1 Corinthians 7:12-14 says, "If any brother hath a wife that believeth not, and she be pleased to dwell with him, let him not put her away. And the woman which hath an husband that believeth not, and if he be pleased to dwell with her, let her not leave him. For the unbelieving husband is sanctified by the wife, and the unbelieving wife is sanctified by the husband: else were your children unclean; but now are they holy."

While I understand your logic on the subject, you DO realize that in Western nations where the law doesn't allow for polygamy, most Christians believe rather strongly that the Bible and Christianity call for monogamous marriage, right?

I found interesting what CS Lewis said on this subject in regards to the idea that humanity shares a basic moral standard that is inborn. He said that people may differ on whether a man may have one wife, or two or three, but they all agree that a man shouldn't simply be with any woman he likes, that he should make a commitment and take responsibility for his family, whatever type of formulation the culture he lives in specifies.
'Inborn moral standard"

What a crock of shit!! Show me the DNA. :lol:

Why is this all about regulating the number of wives a man may have? Why no mention of the number of husbands a woman may take?

:( I am a good christian woman, and i believe in the good values, of family and support, but i am not going to point the finger, at my neighbor if his values of marriage are different from mine. I believe that there is someone out there for everyone.I do not believe in 1 man for 2 or more women. The Mormons feel that way, or at least some still do. But love knows no sexual preferences, be it man and woman, or man and man, or woman and woman. I have my values and i stick by them, for this is my choice in life, but i refuse to be the judge, jury and executioner, for any person that,has their own way of life and choice of Soulmate. As God says, Judge thee not lest Yee be judged thine own self.This is what i truly believe.

And this contributed what to the discussion of my question? If I had wanted you to submit a "Look what a nice, open-minded person I am, please admire me" manifesto, I would have asked for it.

This thread is not about gays in any way. It is a hypothetical question of Christianity.

Forum List

Back