Marriage and equal rights for ALL people.

The responses here have been very much where I would have gone.

Marriage is already defined, and soundly so. That means that marriage is not an option for gays unless they chose a partner of the opposite gender.

One reason taxes are lower for married couples is because there would be an added burden for a family if the taxes remained the same as for a single person. So, married couples pay a greater tax than a single person, but the combination is less as a couple. I don't think there is "preferencial treatment" I think there is fair adjustment.

So Say I'm living with my friend "Friend" and we share a home (no not married just as friends)

He makes $25,000/year
I make $55,000/year

Now you have a Wife and a Husband who live together in their home with no children.

He makes $25,000/year
She makes $55,000/year

How is it fair that they get taxed at a lower rate on their combined income of $80,000 than either "Friend" or I would get taxed as individuals making a combined $80,000? How is that inequitable treatment by the government, under the tax code, Fair when we make the combined same amount but because they are married they have a lower tax burden?

Also, how is it an "added" burden if they are required to pay the same tax rates on their incomes as unmmaried individuals...i believe the added burden gets placed on the single people under our current setup.
I want my equal rights to a lower tax rate that is equal to theirs ;).

Common law marriage?

Umm why can't same sexes living together become common law marriage after a period of time? Not all opposite sex people living together have sex.

Not all states recognize CL marriage. Then you'd have the problem of long time roomates suddenly finding themselves entangled in a marriage they didnt expect.
We could address some of the legitimate problems of homosexual couples through partnership laws.
But they don't want that. Which tells me they aren't interested in solving problems but in pushing their gay agenda. And fuck that.

Being completely right and sane doesn't insulate you from irrational rejection and ridicule.
Great thinkers usually get hung by mobs who cant understand magnets.
You've got quite a high opinion of yourself don't you?

When did getting married become a "right"? Liberals went from bashing marriage as a way to control women to a basic human right everyone should have.

Just like they went from bashing religion to defending Islam.

i don't think there are only tax 'benefits' of marriage, like the child tax credit which not all married people get. there's also a 'marriage penalty'. yes?

Bush's tax cuts did away with the Marriage Penalty now its a marriage benefit, well until 2011 if they let the tax cuts expire.

I find this to be discriminatory against single individuals.

People who make more money pay at a higher rate. I find that discriminatory against smart industrious people.

I am also against a progressive tax system Rabbi. I feel taxes should be uniform for all citizens and entities.

Lets forget about the gay marriage thing for a minute and just concentrate on the tax part.

What if we left the child tax credits intact but taxed married individuals the same as single individuals. Do you feel this would still acheive the good ideals you just described in your post? Would you find that acceptable?

I dont wanna sound like, well you know what i dont wanna sound like, but isn't it discriminatory against single individuals the way the tax code is set up now and doesn't that go against equality for all under the eyes of the law?

sorry lots of questions.

Single individuals have the same right to get married as do people who get married. The only purpose of providing a break to those who do get married is to promote a traditional family. And the only reason to promote the traditional family is those four reasons I listed.

Nobody forces anybody to get married or to not get married and everybody has the same right to get married or not get married so a tax break for the married discriminates against no one.

The child tax credit in no way promotes traditional marriage and in fact could discourage it. It certainly does not accomplish any of the four points for consideration that I listed.

My issue is that under the law single individuals are being discriminated against due to the fact that they are not married. If I got married I would receive a benefit for only married people. What if we had an "asian" tax credit to encourage immigration of asian americans....wouldn't that discriminate against non-asians?

I don't like passing tax laws that are meant to encourage individual behavior one way or the other especially when one group is discriminated against.

IMO, we'd all be better off if the government quit using the tax code for social engineering and income / wealth distribution.

One flat or fair tax for all. Let people decide what lifestyle they wish to support with their own money.

Period. End of Story.

Thanks for understanding where I'm going with this boedicca.

The responses here have been very much where I would have gone.

Marriage is already defined, and soundly so. That means that marriage is not an option for gays unless they chose a partner of the opposite gender.

One reason taxes are lower for married couples is because there would be an added burden for a family if the taxes remained the same as for a single person. So, married couples pay a greater tax than a single person, but the combination is less as a couple. I don't think there is "preferencial treatment" I think there is fair adjustment.

So Say I'm living with my friend "Friend" and we share a home (no not married just as friends)

He makes $25,000/year
I make $55,000/year

Now you have a Wife and a Husband who live together in their home with no children.

He makes $25,000/year
She makes $55,000/year

How is it fair that they get taxed at a lower rate on their combined income of $80,000 than either "Friend" or I would get taxed as individuals making a combined $80,000? How is that inequitable treatment by the government, under the tax code, Fair when we make the combined same amount but because they are married they have a lower tax burden?

Also, how is it an "added" burden if they are required to pay the same tax rates on their incomes as unmmaried individuals...i believe the added burden gets placed on the single people under our current setup.
I want my equal rights to a lower tax rate that is equal to theirs ;).

Sorry, apples and oranges. Married couple and unmarried couple not equal.

Unmarried heterosexual couples who live together are in the same boat as you are. That is equal.

But unmarried hetro couples are discriminated against in relation to married hetro couples under the tax code. How do you personally justify/reconcile that?

Lets forget about the gay marriage thing for a minute and just concentrate on the tax part.

What if we left the child tax credits intact but taxed married individuals the same as single individuals. Do you feel this would still acheive the good ideals you just described in your post? Would you find that acceptable?

I dont wanna sound like, well you know what i dont wanna sound like, but isn't it discriminatory against single individuals the way the tax code is set up now and doesn't that go against equality for all under the eyes of the law?

sorry lots of questions.

Single individuals have the same right to get married as do people who get married. The only purpose of providing a break to those who do get married is to promote a traditional family. And the only reason to promote the traditional family is those four reasons I listed.

Nobody forces anybody to get married or to not get married and everybody has the same right to get married or not get married so a tax break for the married discriminates against no one.

The child tax credit in no way promotes traditional marriage and in fact could discourage it. It certainly does not accomplish any of the four points for consideration that I listed.

My issue is that under the law single individuals are being discriminated against due to the fact that they are not married. If I got married I would receive a benefit for only married people. What if we had an "asian" tax credit to encourage immigration of asian americans....wouldn't that discriminate against non-asians?

I don't like passing tax laws that are meant to encourage individual behavior one way or the other especially when one group is discriminated against.

Where do I sign up to become an Asian?
That is the crux of the matter. Anyone can get married and qualify for the tax credit. Not everyone can become an Asian.
Similarly anyone can start his own business and get tax credits for that. Or invest in real estate and get tax benefits for that.
There is nothing discriminatory in any of that, unlike your Asian example.

Where do I sign up to become an Asian?
That is the crux of the matter. Anyone can get married and qualify for the tax credit. Not everyone can become an Asian.
Similarly anyone can start his own business and get tax credits for that. Or invest in real estate and get tax benefits for that.
There is nothing discriminatory in any of that, unlike your Asian example.

Ah but you missed my example a little rabbi. I said to "encourage immigration" These asians in my example have the CHOICE to immigrate or not ;).

I don't approve of how you are justifying discrimination under the tax code by pointing to other areas where the tax code discriminates based on individual choices we make. That is similar to saying "Well Bush Did it so its ok that obama does it" on other issues.

Whats next a higher tax on those who buy a meal at mcdonalds? See where i'm going?

sorry lots of questions.

To encourage immigration of Asian Americans (or anybody else) WOULD be discriminatory. It would be granting special advantages to one group as opposed to another. Most especially granting advantage to one race as opposed to another. Non immigrants and non Asians would not have any ability or choice to be able to qualify for the tax break under any circumstances.

The reason tax advantages to married couples are non discriminatory is that such are available to all Americans regardless of race, religion, creed, gender, sexual orientation, etc. etc. etc. If you prefer to remain unmarried rather than take advantage of them, that is your choice. Or you can choose to take advantage of them any time you wish by getting married. If the evidence shows that traditional marriage is good for America, good for communities, and the best situation for raising kids, then giving a tax break to married couples makes sense and is not discriminatory.

It is not unlike the fast lane on the freeway being reserved for those transporting two or more people in a vehicle. It is a way to cut down on both traffic congestion and traffic pollution by taking some cars off the road. My job did not allow me to take advantage of the benefit, but I would still have the choice to get a job that would allow me to take advantage of the benefit. So I am not discriminated against.

Last edited:

To encourage immigration of Asian Americans (or anybody else) WOULD be discriminatory. It would be granting special advantages to one group as opposed to another. Most especially granting advantage to one race as opposed to another. Non immigrants and non Asians would not have any ability or choice to be able to qualify for the tax break under any circumstances.

The reason tax advantages to married couples are non discriminatory is that such are available to all Americans regardless of race, religion, creed, gender, sexual orientation, etc. etc. etc. If you prefer to remain unmarried rather than take advantage of them, that is your choice. Or you can choose to take advantage of them any time you wish by getting married. If the evidence shows that traditional marriage is good for America, good for communities, and the best situation for raising kids, then giving a tax break to married couples makes sense and is not discriminatory.

It is not unlike the fast lane on the freeway being reserved for those transporting two or more people in a vehicle. It is a way to cut down on both traffic congestion and traffic pollution by taking some cars off the road. My job did not allow me to take advantage of the benefit, but I would still have the choice to get a job that would allow me to take advantage of the benefit. So I am not discriminated against.

Well actually marriage is not available to many same sex couples in many states so, using your logic in the first paragraph, it is actually discriminatory.

I do understand the point you are trying to make that marriage is a choice that is available to the majority of citizens but I still dont feel that this fact justifies the different treatment of a married individual vs a single individual under the tax code.

I also feel that treating people differently, under the law, for making a choice to either be married or single is inequitable treatment of whichever individuals does not receive a benefit under federal tax laws to be discriminatroy against people who don't marry such as couples who dont want to marry but live together regardless of their sexual orientation.

You make some good points but overall they dont sway my opinion so on this I will agree to politely disagree with you.

Last edited:
Well actually marriage is not available to many same sex couples in many states so, using your logic in the first paragraph, it is actually discriminatory.

I do understand the point you are trying to make that marriage is a choice that is available to the majority of citizens but I still dont feel that this fact justifies the different treatment of a married individual vs a single individual under the tax code.

I also feel that treating people differently, under the law, for making a choice to either be married or single is inequitable treatment of whichever individuals does not receive a benefit under federal tax laws to be discriminatroy against people who don't marry such as couples who dont want to marry but live together regardless of their sexual orientation.

You make some good points but overall they dont sway my opinion so on this I will agree to politely disagree with you.

The marriage laws do not discriminate against same sex couples. The marriage laws simply define marriage as one man and one woman regardless of sexual orientation. It's just like the fast lane law. Two or more people are required to use the fast lane. The fact that I don't want to hunt up somebody to ride with me every day is my choice. I am not discriminated against.

The fact that you don't want to get married is your choice. You still have the option and complete freedom to do so. You are not discriminated against.

However, as I said before, I would support a way that people who for whatever reason do not want to or can't marry to form themselves into legally recognized family groups that do offer benefits, protections, and advantages they do not otherwise have. Such groups should also be available to all Americans who then have three options: 1) Marriage 2) Other family group 3) remain single.

But yes, we can always agree to disagree on anything. :)

Good thing I'm no longer commenting on your posts, Ff

For the general public, and for those who consider marriage equality a civil rights issue, I would point out that only through marriage do same sex couples have access to a partner's insurance benefits, Social Security, Medicare, or property inheritance. As well, without a legally recognized marriage, gay partners can not be acknowledged as next of kin in the case of a medical emergency or incapacitation. Furthermore, to supporters of same sex marriage, denying the right to a full and equal marriage is a serious form of minority discrimination. There are over 1000 federal and state legal benefits to be civilly married in America. Among them are:

Whether or not you favor marriage as a social institution, there's no denying that it confers many rights, protections, and benefits -- both legal and practical. Some of these vary from state to state, but the list typically includes:
Tax Benefits
Filing joint income tax returns with the IRS and state taxing authorities.
Creating a "family partnership" under federal tax laws, which allows you to divide business income among family members.
Estate Planning Benefits
Inheriting a share of your spouse's estate.
Receiving an exemption from both estate taxes and gift taxes for all property you give or leave to your spouse.
Creating life estate trusts that are restricted to married couples, including QTIP trusts, QDOT trusts, and marital deduction trusts.
Obtaining priority if a conservator needs to be appointed for your spouse -- that is, someone to make financial and/or medical decisions on your spouse's behalf.
Government Benefits
Receiving Social Security, Medicare, and disability benefits for spouses.
Receiving veterans' and military benefits for spouses, such as those for education, medical care, or special loans.
Receiving public assistance benefits.
Employment Benefits
Obtaining insurance benefits through a spouse's employer.
Taking family leave to care for your spouse during an illness.
Receiving wages, workers' compensation, and retirement plan benefits for a deceased spouse.
Taking bereavement leave if your spouse or one of your spouse's close relatives dies.
Medical Benefits
Visiting your spouse in a hospital intensive care unit or during restricted visiting hours in other parts of a medical facility.
Making medical decisions for your spouse if he or she becomes incapacitated and unable to express wishes for treatment.
Death Benefits
Consenting to after-death examinations and procedures.
Making burial or other final arrangements.
Family Benefits
Filing for stepparent or joint adoption.
Applying for joint foster care rights.
Receiving equitable division of property if you divorce.
Receiving spousal or child support, child custody, and visitation if you divorce.
Housing Benefits
Living in neighborhoods zoned for "families only."
Automatically renewing leases signed by your spouse.
Consumer Benefits
Receiving family rates for health, homeowners', auto, and other types of insurance.
Receiving tuition discounts and permission to use school facilities.
Other consumer discounts and incentives offered only to married couples or families.
Other Legal Benefits and Protections
Suing a third person for wrongful death of your spouse and loss of consortium (loss of intimacy).
Suing a third person for offenses that interfere with the success of your marriage, such as alienation of affection and criminal conversation (these laws are available in only a few states).
Claiming the marital communications privilege, which means a court can't force you to disclose the contents of confidential communications between you and your spouse during your marriage.
Receiving crime victims' recovery benefits if your spouse is the victim of a crime.
Obtaining immigration and residency benefits for noncitizen spouse.
Visiting rights in jails and other places where visitors are restricted to immediate family.
http://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/article-30190.html

Before I was permitted to legally marry in California, I encountered this discrimination regarding family leave. My parnter was having surgery and I wanted to take off time from work and be paid for it. My boss said no, because we were not married. I pointed out that we had been together for over 25 years and that we would be married if we had a legal right to do so. I also pointed out that she had approved leave for another employee who was in a common law marriage with her heterosexual partner. My boss ended up taking the issue to the board and the policy was changed. It didn't benefit me but it was available for other gay couples in the future. That's just one example of the hassles gays and lesbians have to go through without the right to marry.

Last edited:
Well then marry a guy Sky and you get all that. You have complete freedom to do that. And if you don't want to marry a guy, which is perfectly understandable, then help us put together Option #2 which can provide a whole bunch of protections and benefits that you and your loved one want and need and would help out a whole lot of folks, straight and gay, who could take advantage of that.

For the general public, and for those who consider marriage equality a civil rights issue, I would point out that only through marriage do same sex couples have access to a partner's insurance benefits, Social Security, Medicare, or property inheritance. As well, without a legally recognized marriage, gay partners can not be acknowledged as next of kin in the case of a medical emergency or incapacitation. Furthermore, to supporters of same sex marriage, denying the right to a full and equal marriage is a serious form of minority discrimination. There are over 1000 federal and state legal benefits to be civilly married in America. Among them are:

"Rights and benefits while married:

employment assistance and transitional services for spouses of members being separated from military service; continued commissary privileges
per diem payment to spouse for federal civil service employees when relocating
Indian Health Service care for spouses of Native Americans (in some circumstances)
sponsor husband/wife for immigration benefits
Larger benefits under some programs if married, including:
veteran's disability
Supplemental Security Income
disability payments for federal employees
medicaid
property tax exemption for homes of totally disabled veterans
income tax deductions, credits, rates exemption, and estimates
wages of an employee working for one's spouse are exempt from federal unemployment tax[3]
Joint and family-related rights:
joint filing of bankruptcy permitted
joint parenting rights, such as access to children's school records
family visitation rights for the spouse and non-biological children, such as to visit a spouse in a hospital or prison
next-of-kin status for emergency medical decisions or filing wrongful death claims
custodial rights to children, shared property, child support, and alimony after divorce
domestic violence intervention
access to "family only" services, such as reduced rate memberships to clubs & organizations or residency in certain neighborhoods
Preferential hiring for spouses of veterans in government jobs
Tax-free transfer of property between spouses (including on death) and exemption from "due-on-sale" clauses.
Special consideration to spouses of citizens and resident aliens
Threats against spouses of various federal employees is a federal crime
Right to continue living on land purchased from spouse by National Park Service when easement granted to spouse
Court notice of probate proceedings
Domestic violence protection orders
Existing homestead lease continuation of rights
Regulation of condominium sales to owner-occupants exemption
Funeral and bereavement leave
Joint adoption and foster care
Joint tax filing
Insurance licenses, coverage, eligibility, and benefits organization of mutual benefits society
Legal status with stepchildren
Making spousal medical decisions
Spousal non-resident tuition deferential waiver
Permission to make funeral arrangements for a deceased spouse, including burial or cremation
Right of survivorship of custodial trust
Right to change surname upon marriage
Right to enter into prenuptial agreement
Right to inheritance of property
Spousal privilege in court cases (the marital confidences privilege and the spousal testimonial privilege)
For those divorced or widowed, the right to many of ex- or late spouse's benefits, including:
Social Security pension
veteran's pensions, indemnity compensation for service-connected deaths, medical care, and nursing home care, right to burial in veterans' cemeteries, educational assistance, and housing
survivor benefits for federal employees
survivor benefits for spouses of longshoremen, harbor workers, railroad workers
additional benefits to spouses of coal miners who die of black lung disease
$100,000 to spouse of any public safety officer killed in the line of duty
continuation of employer-sponsored health benefits
renewal and termination rights to spouse's copyrights on death of spouse
continued water rights of spouse in some circumstances
payment of wages and workers compensation benefits after worker death
making, revoking, and objecting to post-mortem anatomical gifts
[edit] Responsibilities
Spousal income and assets are counted in determining need in many forms of government assistance, including:
veteran's medical and home care benefits
housing assistance
housing loans for veterans
child's education loans
educational loan repayment schedule
agricultural price supports and loans
eligibility for federal matching campaign funds
Ineligible for National Affordable Housing program if spouse ever purchased a home:
Subject to conflict-of-interest rules for many government and government-related jobs
Ineligible to receive various survivor benefits upon remarriage
Rights and responsibilities of marriages in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You have to live with the choices you make. For better or for worse.

Homosexual marriage isn't about love and companionship, it's more about how can it benefit them financially.

Gee thanks FF.

I can marry someone I don't love. Great idea. Spoken like a true friend.

Last edited:

"Rights and benefits while married:

employment assistance and transitional services for spouses of members being separated from military service; continued commissary privileges
per diem payment to spouse for federal civil service employees when relocating
Indian Health Service care for spouses of Native Americans (in some circumstances)
sponsor husband/wife for immigration benefits
Larger benefits under some programs if married, including:
veteran's disability
Supplemental Security Income
disability payments for federal employees
medicaid
property tax exemption for homes of totally disabled veterans
income tax deductions, credits, rates exemption, and estimates
wages of an employee working for one's spouse are exempt from federal unemployment tax[3]
Joint and family-related rights:
joint filing of bankruptcy permitted
joint parenting rights, such as access to children's school records
family visitation rights for the spouse and non-biological children, such as to visit a spouse in a hospital or prison
next-of-kin status for emergency medical decisions or filing wrongful death claims
custodial rights to children, shared property, child support, and alimony after divorce
domestic violence intervention
access to "family only" services, such as reduced rate memberships to clubs & organizations or residency in certain neighborhoods
Preferential hiring for spouses of veterans in government jobs
Tax-free transfer of property between spouses (including on death) and exemption from "due-on-sale" clauses.
Special consideration to spouses of citizens and resident aliens
Threats against spouses of various federal employees is a federal crime
Right to continue living on land purchased from spouse by National Park Service when easement granted to spouse
Court notice of probate proceedings
Domestic violence protection orders
Existing homestead lease continuation of rights
Regulation of condominium sales to owner-occupants exemption
Funeral and bereavement leave
Joint adoption and foster care
Joint tax filing
Insurance licenses, coverage, eligibility, and benefits organization of mutual benefits society
Legal status with stepchildren
Making spousal medical decisions
Spousal non-resident tuition deferential waiver
Permission to make funeral arrangements for a deceased spouse, including burial or cremation
Right of survivorship of custodial trust
Right to change surname upon marriage
Right to enter into prenuptial agreement
Right to inheritance of property
Spousal privilege in court cases (the marital confidences privilege and the spousal testimonial privilege)
For those divorced or widowed, the right to many of ex- or late spouse's benefits, including:
Social Security pension
veteran's pensions, indemnity compensation for service-connected deaths, medical care, and nursing home care, right to burial in veterans' cemeteries, educational assistance, and housing
survivor benefits for federal employees
survivor benefits for spouses of longshoremen, harbor workers, railroad workers
additional benefits to spouses of coal miners who die of black lung disease
$100,000 to spouse of any public safety officer killed in the line of duty
continuation of employer-sponsored health benefits
renewal and termination rights to spouse's copyrights on death of spouse
continued water rights of spouse in some circumstances
payment of wages and workers compensation benefits after worker death
making, revoking, and objecting to post-mortem anatomical gifts
[edit] Responsibilities
Spousal income and assets are counted in determining need in many forms of government assistance, including:
veteran's medical and home care benefits
housing assistance
housing loans for veterans
child's education loans
educational loan repayment schedule
agricultural price supports and loans
eligibility for federal matching campaign funds
Ineligible for National Affordable Housing program if spouse ever purchased a home:
Subject to conflict-of-interest rules for many government and government-related jobs
Ineligible to receive various survivor benefits upon remarriage
Rights and responsibilities of marriages in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You have to live with the choices you make. For better or for worse.

Homosexual marriage isn't about love and companionship, it's more about how can it benefit them financially.

My marrige is about love and companionship. My wife and I have been together over 25 years. Because I love my wife I want to provide her with all the legal benefits that any other married couple has, financial and every other way. Particularly, as we age and get sick and die.

I'm sorry that you can't see that. If all I was concerned about was financial matters I could marry a man I don't love and get those rights and benefits. No thanks.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back