Mark Twain rolls over in his grave

manifold

Diamond Member
Feb 19, 2008
your dreams
When other people decide to edit anothers written word that word should no longer bear the authors name. When someone writes, the finished work is the way they want it to be. This was written in an era when that word was used in the context he wrote it in and should not be removed. Could Lincolns address at Gettysburg be changed if some future generation decided some words offended them? I think this opens Pandoras box for wholesale alterations to historical works and is a mistake! If they don't want their children to be exposed to history then ban the book and let their children grow up to be ignorant of history.

Twain used the word because it was the vernacular. He knew what he was doing, and what the word meant. That's the way he shone a light on the culture.

It's criminal to edit it. Thanks leftards.

I disagree with this decision as well. Our society needs to stop sheltering our kids from the harsh realities of the past and the present. Valuable life lessons are learned from these experiences. Those who forget history are doomed to repeat it.

Well hell if they plan to change up historic historic writing to appease the masses might as well rewrite the Declaration of Independence;

He has excited domestic insurrection among us, and has endeavored to bring on the inhabitants of our frontiers the merciless Indian savages, whose known rule of warfare is an undistinguished destruction of all ages, sexes, and conditions.

Avalon Project - Declaration of Independence, July 4, 1776

I'm sure our Native American friends aren't keen on being called merciless Indian savages...

LOL, what school kid is going to be shocked and offended to discover the "N" word in a book.

Heck, black and white kids call each other "******" all of the time.

Oh, excuse me; I ment to say "nigga".

The kids say there is a difference. :doubt:

Well hell if they plan to change up historic historic writing to appease the masses might as well rewrite the Declaration of Independence;

He has excited domestic insurrection among us, and has endeavored to bring on the inhabitants of our frontiers the merciless Indian savages, whose known rule of warfare is an undistinguished destruction of all ages, sexes, and conditions.

Avalon Project - Declaration of Independence, July 4, 1776

I'm sure our Native American friends aren't keen on being called merciless Indian savages...

Actually, I'm good with it.

"Merciless" was defined at Horseshoe Bend, so we recognize it for the rhetoric that it is.

On the other hand, if this puts the book into the hands of kids who would not otherwise be allowed to read it due to forces beyond their control (overprotective parents and the school boards they frighten), then maybe we shouldn't be so quick to judge.

We have to protect all the precious little snowflakes.:rolleyes:

My friends and I say "******" all the time, it's fun.

E books and such will make it easy to modify history, etc...

Much more efficient at programming and controlling the masses.

When other people decide to edit anothers written word that word should no longer bear the authors name. When someone writes, the finished work is the way they want it to be. This was written in an era when that word was used in the context he wrote it in and should not be removed. Could Lincolns address at Gettysburg be changed if some future generation decided some words offended them? I think this opens Pandoras box for wholesale alterations to historical works and is a mistake! If they don't want their children to be exposed to history then ban the book and let their children grow up to be ignorant of history.

Z's, I have a similar feeling about making the word de facto illegal...seems to me it like a 'hate crime', more of some folks telling us how to behave, how to think.

Z's, I have a similar feeling about making the word de facto illegal...seems to me it like a 'hate crime', more of some folks telling us how to behave, how to think.

"It like a "'hate crime"'? No one tells you how to think - though some try. Think, think not is a personal decision or a congenital matter. As for behavior, it is a very similar matter. No one prevents one from acting out the bigotry one holds in their heart, society simply punishes those who act out against others because of irrational hate.

What right does society have in enforcing such a law against ones will? Because all who live in a civilized society and accept any conditons of benefit tacitly agree to some restrictions on their own behavior. It is a contract - a social contract.

This place is about 2 blocks from my office, in downtown Montgomery. I really ought to go talk to the owner and find out more info.

I'm against this myself. It really dumbs down the message of the entire book in my estimation BUT to use an old conservative conceit...if you don't like it...dont buy it. Only time will tell if the "problem" fixed is one that people find worthy of money.

Last edited:
This place is about 2 blocks from my office, in downtown Montgomery. I really ought to go talk to the owner and find out more info.

I'm against this myself. It really dumbs down the message of the entire book in my estimation BUT to use an old conservative conceit...if you don't like it...dont buy it. Only time will tell if the "problem" fixed is one that people find worthy of money.

As long as we're 'fixing' works of art, why not go ahead and put arms back on the Venus de Milo. :doubt:

You smile, but the original artist seemed to think the arms had artistic merit, right? Who's to say that the way the arms were sculpted didn't add something to the story or the feeling you got from the sculpture?

I'm not saying it should be done...just that your analogy isn't exactly parallel.

If the word slave gets the job done well enough for others...who are YOU to say they shouldnt be able to buy something? It's their decision..however wrong it might be to you.

Forum List

Back