Mark this day on your calendar

Quantum Windbag

Gold Member
May 9, 2010
All I can say is it is about time.

On a 63-33 vote, and with six Republicans voting "yes," the U.S. Senate -- at a little before noon today -- voted for cloture on the stand-alone bill aimed at repealing the "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" law, overcoming the largest hurdle remaining for repeal of the 1993 law banning openly gay, lesbian and bisexual military service. The House approved the bill overwhelmingly this past week, and President Barack Obama has expressed his strong support for the bill and said in a statement issued after the cloture vote, "It is time to close this chapter in our history. It is time to recognize that sacrifice, valor and integrity are no more defined by sexual orientation than they are by race or gender, religion or creed. It is time to allow gay and lesbian Americans to serve their country openly. I urge the Senate to send this bill to my desk so that I can sign it into law."
The cloture vote, which required the approval of at least 60 senators, means that only 30 hours of debate remain before DADT repeal comes up for a final vote. Usually, because the vote for final passage only requires a simple majority vote of the senators, the 30-hour requirement is waived. It was not clear, however, whether Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) would allow the requirement to be waived regarding the DADT repeal bill.
[UPDATE @ 1:30 PM: The Republicans did agree to unanimous consent, so the majority vote on final passage is expected to happen about 3 p.m.]
The Republicans voting "yes" were: Sens. Scott Brown (R-Mass), Susan Collins (R-Alaska), Mark Kirk (R-Ill.), Lisa Murkowski (R-Alaska), Olympia Snowe (R-Maine) and George Voinovich (R-Ohio). Collins had co-sponsored the repeal bill.

Senate Achieves Cloture on DADT Repeal, Bill on Path Become Law - Poliglot

All I can say is it is about time.

On a 63-33 vote, and with six Republicans voting "yes," the U.S. Senate -- at a little before noon today -- voted for cloture on the stand-alone bill aimed at repealing the "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" law, overcoming the largest hurdle remaining for repeal of the 1993 law banning openly gay, lesbian and bisexual military service. The House approved the bill overwhelmingly this past week, and President Barack Obama has expressed his strong support for the bill and said in a statement issued after the cloture vote, "It is time to close this chapter in our history. It is time to recognize that sacrifice, valor and integrity are no more defined by sexual orientation than they are by race or gender, religion or creed. It is time to allow gay and lesbian Americans to serve their country openly. I urge the Senate to send this bill to my desk so that I can sign it into law."
The cloture vote, which required the approval of at least 60 senators, means that only 30 hours of debate remain before DADT repeal comes up for a final vote. Usually, because the vote for final passage only requires a simple majority vote of the senators, the 30-hour requirement is waived. It was not clear, however, whether Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) would allow the requirement to be waived regarding the DADT repeal bill.
[UPDATE @ 1:30 PM: The Republicans did agree to unanimous consent, so the majority vote on final passage is expected to happen about 3 p.m.]
The Republicans voting "yes" were: Sens. Scott Brown (R-Mass), Susan Collins (R-Alaska), Mark Kirk (R-Ill.), Lisa Murkowski (R-Alaska), Olympia Snowe (R-Maine) and George Voinovich (R-Ohio). Collins had co-sponsored the repeal bill.

Senate Achieves Cloture on DADT Repeal, Bill on Path Become Law - Poliglot

Thank you all who voted yay, ESPECIALLY THE 6 GOPers. Thank you President Obama. I'm so proud and moved right now.
:clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2:

I know a couple guys this is gonna effect/benefit.

That is good news. I have to admit to being shocked that only six Republicans voted for something that IMO is something conservatives in general support...namely, it's no one's business what your sexual orientation is.

That is good news. I have to admit to being shocked that only six Republicans voted for something that IMO is something conservatives in general support...namely, it's no one's business what your sexual orientation is.

I'm surprised and heartened that is was that MANY. Some incoming GOPers too.

Forum List

Back