Mark Steel: The youth of today – they just don’t show no disrespect

The sooner the 70's 'protester' crowd are drolling in their soup at the nursing home or six feet under, the better off this country will be. That time is coming and hopefully it won't be too late by then.

All that experience and knowledge gone.

And what will your peers do when their calculator batteries run down? You still only have ten fingers and ten toes so getting to twenty will be okay but past that? Who knows? :lol:

[youtube]pKL5n5PNf1s[/youtube]

I believe the Flynn Effect became especially pronounced in the 1990's, when Internet access started to become widespread, and IQ's increased a more progressive rate.

The Flynn effect is more about kids becoming test wise than increasing IQs, methinks.

What was the IQ upward drift in the 1990s, Agna?

I doubt that the raw intellectual of humankind has really changed since our species evolved.

I have very little confidence in IQ tests as predictors of much, to be perfectly honest.

They are, I think, a truly effective way to measure a subject's ability to score in IQ tests and that is about it.

Of course their findings are not so fuzzy that one won't see a difference in real intelligence between someone with an 80 IQ v someone with a 140 IQ, but as to what it means when there is a 10 or 15 point difference?

That's not really a meaningful difference, I think, although those numbers are often taken fairly seriously by some educators.

The sooner the 70's 'protester' crowd are drolling in their soup at the nursing home or six feet under, the better off this country will be. That time is coming and hopefully it won't be too late by then.

cause little twits like you will do better,especially with the half-ass educations most of you have received.....what a joke...

You comment seems oddly self-depreciating. You can't seriously be blaming the crap education system "today's youth" was given on "today's youth" can you?

It's like you're saying "you did a shitty job painting the house and here I gave complete crap to work with, what a loser you are." Seems bizarrely ironic that you'd call someone else out for something that they had zero control over yet YOU did. I don't get it Harry, can you explain it real simple? I'm a product of the crap eduction system previous generations gave mine.

no Amanda...this guy is saying his generation is better than the generation he is waiting to die.....he and his generation are going to find out that they are going to have even more problems to solve than the group he wants to die off had,more people = more problems,and if what i read is true,there are less people going to medical school,engineering schools,becoming scientist,etc.......many of life's problems are caused by the preceding generation,thats true,but it has always been true,and the generation after this ass will be saying the same about his,and the one after yours will say the same about youres.....you dont know what hand you are going to be dealt in life....and more people squeezing in a finite space is going to cause many problems for those in charge.....when i am one of those in the old folks home,i will find it amusing,when the "bright" generation behind me are having problems solving the problems my generation had to deal with,many from the preceding one.....there are bad leaders in every generation,good ones are far and few between.....

It's the job of youth to have a healthy sense of entitlement. Rock on temper tantrums! (joke)

Truth is the youth I know are delightful, intelligent, and fun to be around. My kids are no longer teens. They're in college, one has recently graduated and one has a new family.

Last edited:
no Amanda...this guy is saying his generation is better than the generation he is waiting to die.....he and his generation are going to find out that they are going to have even more problems to solve than the group he wants to die off had,more people = more problems,and if what i read is true,there are less people going to medical school,engineering schools,becoming scientist,etc.......many of life's problems are caused by the preceding generation,thats true,but it has always been true,and the generation after this ass will be saying the same about his,and the one after yours will say the same about youres.....you dont know what hand you are going to be dealt in life....and more people squeezing in a finite space is going to cause many problems for those in charge.....when i am one of those in the old folks home,i will find it amusing,when the "bright" generation behind me are having problems solving the problems my generation had to deal with,many from the preceding one.....there are bad leaders in every generation,good ones are far and few between.....

No offense, but for every problem "solved" by the baby boomers, they created 176 new problems for the rest of us to solve. Not to mention the fact that they've voted themselves the most generous slate of retirement benefits in the history of this country, and people like me and my kids will get to foot the bill.

I have zero patience with the most self-absorbed generation in history, and I can't wait until they all die off. Their self-lauding gets incredibly tiresome, especially given the outcomes of many of their issues.

For the record, I recognize that there are boomers like Del and Gunny who are NOT the stereotype, but they are the EXCEPTION.

Last edited:
Status offenses, again. I doubt very highly that "myspace whores" would be especially perturbing to many if they were but slightly older.

There are plenty of ADULT myspace whores who make me roll my eyes even harder because they are plenty old enough to know better.

Oh goodie, let's turn a discussion of generational issues into a bash baby boomers thread. Thanks kits.

Getting back at Mommy again?

The truth is that no issue in the present doesn't have a cause in previous generations. Action/reaction, endlessly.

Last edited:

Thank WHATEVER DEITY EXISTS that I was spared the heartbreak of having some wannabe navel-gazing hippy babyboomer as a parent. My parents are of the greatest generation, and I will be eternally thankful for that fact.

By the way, YOU epitomize EVERYTHING I despise about boomers, mmmkay, sweetiekins?

Your "I protested the Vietnam War by Being a fucking DRAMA QUEEN who couldn't sit in a classroom during the pledge of allegiance" bullshit makes me want to FUCKING HURL. And, I completely endorse the article in the OP FOR THAT REASON.

We clear now?

People try to put us d-down (Talkin' 'bout my generation)
Just because we get around (Talkin' 'bout my generation)
Things they do look awful c-c-cold (Talkin' 'bout my generation)
I hope I die before I get old (Talkin' 'bout my generation)

This is my generation
This is my generation, baby

Why don't you all f-fade away (Talkin' 'bout my generation)
And don't try to dig what we all s-s-say (Talkin' 'bout my generation)
I'm not trying to cause a big s-s-sensation (Talkin' 'bout my generation)
I'm just talkin' 'bout my g-g-g-generation (Talkin' 'bout my generation)

This is my generation
This is my generation, baby

Of course when we said the above, then it was completely true.

But when Newby says it, it's completely over the top.

Here's my take on that WHO classic, more appropo for we boomers, now

People try to put us d-down (Talkin' 'bout their generation)
Just because we're still around (Talkin' 'bout my generation)
Remember we were once so bold? (Talkin' 'bout my generation)
Thought we'd die before we got old (Shoulda tried that defenstration)​

No veneration
For my generation, baby​

Why don't we all f-fade? they say (Talkin' 'bout their generation)
We cost too much and we're in the way (Talkin' 'bout my generation)
I'm not trying to cause a big s-s-sensation (Talkin' 'bout my generation)
I'm just talkin' 'bout youth's vexation (Talkin' 'bout their generation)​

My explaination
My generation, baby​

No veneration
For my generation, baby​

Needs a replacin'
a permanent vacation, baby​

For my generation
My generation
For my generation, baby.​

Last edited:
cause little twits like you will do better,especially with the half-ass educations most of you have received.....what a joke...

You comment seems oddly self-depreciating. You can't seriously be blaming the crap education system "today's youth" was given on "today's youth" can you?

It's like you're saying "you did a shitty job painting the house and here I gave complete crap to work with, what a loser you are." Seems bizarrely ironic that you'd call someone else out for something that they had zero control over yet YOU did. I don't get it Harry, can you explain it real simple? I'm a product of the crap eduction system previous generations gave mine.

Regardless of what he's saying it still seems odd to tell him he's going to fail because he wasn't given the tools and it's somehow his fault. But whatever.

Thank WHATEVER DEITY EXISTS that I was spared the heartbreak of having some wannabe navel-gazing hippy babyboomer as a parent. My parents are of the greatest generation, and I will be eternally thankful for that fact.

By the way, YOU epitomize EVERYTHING I despise about boomers, mmmkay, sweetiekins?

Your "I protested the Vietnam War by Being a fucking DRAMA QUEEN who couldn't sit in a classroom during the pledge of allegiance" bullshit makes me want to FUCKING HURL. And, I completely endorse the article in the OP FOR THAT REASON.

We clear now?

I protested the war in Vietnam in many ways. I was too young to vote. I exercised my free speech. Seeing the Vietnamese Buddhist monks self-emolate had a profound impact on me.

It was a small gesture, (to not stand for the pledge to protest the war) and it's kind of sweet to remember my idealism.

Last edited:

No offense, but for every problem "solved" by the baby boomers, they created 176 new problems for the rest of us to solve. Not to mention the fact that they've voted themselves the most generous slate of retirement benefits in the history of this country, and people like me and my kids will get to foot the bill.

I have zero patience with the most self-absorbed generation in history, and I can't wait until they all die off. Their self-lauding gets incredibly tiresome, especially given the outcomes of many of their issues.

For the record, I recognize that there are boomers like Del and Gunny who are NOT the stereotype, but they are the EXCEPTION.

yea and when i was a kid i remember older kids talking about the bastards who actually used a nuke on someone,got us into 2 wars....they could not wait for them to die......and there are people behind you Catz waiting for you die....this is nothing new.....how about the so-called "wrote -off" generation from i think it is the late seventies early eighties whom have had one of the worst educations EVER ...how good are they going to lead?they should be getting into leadership positions right about now....i can guarantee you the younger kids after them will be hoping for them to die off too after living with their shit.....and by the way the "self-absorbed" generation you talk about MOSTLY, are the farther left leaning people....the very liberal amongst us....and the very far right leaning.....one reason why extreme liberalism and conservatism should be shot dead now,and make them both extinct.......

Here is the real problem, each new generation swears they won't make the same mistakes they know the previous one did, however we always do. My generation did the same thing, I still remember hearing talk all the time about how wrong our parents were for this and that and how we would never do that ourselves ... now I see them with kids of their own and guess what ... they are making the same mistakes. Honestly I think it would be better to let 16-18 year olds rule the world because of this.

That's why we ought to keep seven generations in mind when we plan for the future. Our present is the result of the preceding seven generations.

Regardless of what he's saying it still seems odd to tell him he's going to fail because he wasn't given the tools and it's somehow his fault. But whatever.
Amanda read Kitties post no.34.....Newby just came off like an arrogant ass is all.....his generation is going to have their problems when in charge,and guess what,some of their decisions will leave a mess for those coming up after his,and some of them will be waiting for Newby to die.....this has been happening since the days of Moses,but its arrogant blind asses like Newby that miss it....dont you miss it....

Forum List

Back