Mark Sanford 37 State Ethics Charges

Political Junky

Gold Member
May 27, 2009
Gov. Sanford Faces 37 State Ethics Charges, Some Mistress-Related

Erin Geiger Smith|Nov. 23, 2009, 3:32 PM | 134 |1

It was not just bemused televsion viewers who watched South Carolina Gov. Mark Sanford's affair-announcing press conference this summer.

State ethics investigators were looking on with interest, too.

Following his announcement, the state's ethics commission conducted an three-month investigation and announced today that Sanford will face 37 civil ethics charges for violating rules relating to airplane travel and campaign money.

He faces a maximum fine of $74,000 -- $2,000 for each count.

The AP, via The New York Times, has a full report, but here is a summary of some of the allegations:

18 instances of improperly purchasing airling tickets, including approval of the purchase of four first-and business-class plane tickets for a June 2008 trip to Argentina, where he met his mistress;
9 times of improperly using a state airplane, including flying to a campaign contributor's birthday and to Columbia for a personal event -- including a haircut; and
10 times of improperly reimbursing himself with campaign cash, including for expenses to attend a hunting trip in Dublin, Ireland.

Where's a strong GOP keader when you need one?

I thought you liberals claimed Rush Limbaugh and/or Sarah Palin the "Leader of the GOP" (I assume you just misspelled "leader")?

Can you guys publish some sort of hierarchy so there's a definitive list of who you guys choose from week to week?

Thanks in advance.

N-E-Way, I don't think it was ever Sanford, though... Guy's a flake...

I thought you liberals claimed Rush Limbaugh and/or Sarah Palin the "Leader of the GOP" (I assume you just misspelled "leader")?

Can you guys publish some sort of hierarchy so there's a definitive list of who you guys choose from week to week?

Thanks in advance.

Your assumption is partially correct. I misTYPED "leader". Anywho...since I am not a card carrying member of the GOP, I have to go with what they say, and that is that Michael Steele is the leader of the GOP. Unless you have heard differently, of course.

Thanks in advance.

Your assumption is partially correct. I misTYPED "leader". Anywho...since I am not a card carrying member of the GOP, I have to go with what they say, and that is that Michael Steele is the leader of the GOP. Unless you have heard differently, of course.

What I typed is correct... Sanford was never "the leader"... I'll add "neither is Steele"...

(edit: "leader" in the true essence of the word)

Last edited:

It was not just bemused televsion viewers who watched South Carolina Gov. Mark Sanford's affair-announcing press conference this summer.

Following his announcement, the state's ethics commission conducted an three-month investigation and announced today that Sanford will face 37 civil ethics charges for violating rules relating to airplane travel and campaign money.

The AP, via The New York Times, has a full report, but here is a summary of some of the allegations:

18 instances of improperly purchasing airling tickets, including approval of the purchase of four first-and business-class plane tickets for a June 2008 trip to Argentina, where he met his mistress;
9 times of improperly using a state airplane, including flying to a campaign contributor's birthday and to Columbia for a personal event -- including a haircut; and
10 times of improperly reimbursing himself with campaign cash, including for expenses to attend a hunting trip in Dublin, Ireland.

He's probably guilty, and if it is proven, he should go to prison.

Palin quit over her ethics charges, why can't we get this guy to just leave?

Maybe if we could get Sanford to write a book

Only 37 ethics charges? Well it would have been more had he been a demoncrat not been a moral upstanding god fearing Rebutlicken.

Why are Libruls so obsessed with the comings and goings of Mark Sanford's penis?

This is a private matter between Mr. Sanford and his private parts.

Aww Polk, but surely you know it is fine for Republicans to misuse public funds?
It is only bad when thoe Liberals do it!

Palin quit over her ethics charges, why can't we get this guy to just leave?

Maybe if we could get Sanford to write a book

Are you assuming she's guilty, like Sanford, or just projecting again RW?

Forum List

Back