Mark Kirk Sends Poll Monitors To 'Vulnerable,' Largely African-American Neighborhoods

Dick Tuck

Board Troll
Aug 29, 2009
Yet another case of minority voter suppression being done under the excuse of "jiggering the numbers".

Mark Kirk Sends Poll Monitors To 'Vulnerable,' Largely African-American Neighborhoods

In a private phone conversation that was secretly recorded, Mark Kirk, the Republican U.S. Senate candidate in Illinois, told state Republican leaders last week about his plan to send "voter integrity" squads to four predominately African American neighborhoods of Chicago "where the other side might be tempted to jigger the numbers somewhat."

Kirk's campaign confirmed the candidate was secretly taped last week as he was talking about his anti-voter fraud effort.

"These are lawyers and other people that will be deployed in key, vulnerable precincts, for example, South and West sides of Chicago, Rockford, Metro East, where the other side might be tempted to jigger the numbers somewhat," he said in the audio posted on YouTube.

(I have you on Ignore, so I can't see your post, but)

I don't see anything wrong with targeting historically shady polling stations with Monitors,

to insure fairness.

Let's face it ~ if there's no under-handedness going on,

WTF cares if there are Monitors?

After the Panther debacle in Phila, there are going to be a number of people checking to see if the "numbers are jiggered". The DOJ doesn't give a rat's ass. Someone has to.

After the Panther debacle in Phila, there are going to be a number of people checking to see if the "numbers are jiggered". The DOJ doesn't give a rat's ass. Someone has to.

What do you want him charged with? Standing there and leaving when the police asked him to?

Every election it's the same damn thing. These Republicans aren't there to make sure nothing is jiggered. They're there to slow down the process to the point where people are going to be discouraged by the long lines and go home. The selective targeting of black precincts is nothing more than voter suppression.

You have to wonder how OLD the OP is.?

Like having monitors at polling place is SOMETHING new or something.

sorry but this thread is...:cuckoo:

No, it's nothing new. Right wingers have been using this tactic to suppress minority voters since our inception.

Acorn and the Black Panthers. Gave a really bad image of voters in minority. Tis a shame. They need some PR. and they need to stop blaming their self made poor image on white people.

No, it's nothing new. Right wingers have been using this tactic to suppress minority voters since our inception.

well you got that "talking point" down pat.:eusa_clap:

YAWN

The Senate candidate, running state wide, has decided to target black neighborhoods. Why exactly? The choice of the verb form of "jig" was interesting.

YAWN

The Senate candidate, running state wide, has decided to target black neighborhoods. Why exactly? The choice of the verb form of "jig" was interesting.

OMg, target?

What? they shouldn't go into a black neighborhood?
gawd you people are nuts.

YAWN

OMg, target?

That's exactly what Kirk said on tape. He wanted to target these black neighborhoods, in a state-wide election. Can't have jiggers voting I guess.

Last edited:

OMg, target?

That's exactly what Kirk said on tape. He wanted to target these black neighborhoods, in a state-wide election.

my dear, this thread is another yawner from you.
but have at it.:rolleyes:

Yet another case of minority voter suppression being done under the excuse of "jiggering the numbers".

In a private phone conversation that was secretly recorded, Mark Kirk, the Republican U.S. Senate candidate in Illinois, told state Republican leaders last week about his plan to send "voter integrity" squads to four predominately African American neighborhoods of Chicago "where the other side might be tempted to jigger the numbers somewhat."

Kirk's campaign confirmed the candidate was secretly taped last week as he was talking about his anti-voter fraud effort.

"These are lawyers and other people that will be deployed in key, vulnerable precincts, for example, South and West sides of Chicago, Rockford, Metro East, where the other side might be tempted to jigger the numbers somewhat," he said in the audio posted on YouTube.

What does this have to do with voter suppression? I have been a poll monitor in the past. All you do is make sure that everyone is following the rules. Where I used to live that meant people couldn't be inside the polling place with candidate chotchkies and the people working the polls couldn't tell or show people who to vote for and yeah, that kind of stuff would go on, particularly in the poorer neighborhoods.

Furthermore, if you listen to the tape of Kirk speaking (I'm betting you didn't), he doesn't even mention blacks at all. They're targeting heavily Democratic polling places in the Chicago area to make sure no funny business takes place. Chicago doesn't exactly have a reputation for being honest. Well, knowing that 90% of blacks vote for Democrats and they tend to be clustered in the same neighborhood, sure, it probably works out that many of these neighborhoods are black precincts. It doesn't mean their race has any part in the decision.

Stop screaming like you're a victim all the time. It's old and tiring. There was a news story just a few days ago that said race relations have actually worsened in America since Obama became president. This constant crying wolf of racism and suppression is the reason why. People are sick of it and nobody believes it anymore, which only hurts those who actually do encounter real discrimination.

That's exactly what Kirk said on tape. He wanted to target these black neighborhoods, in a state-wide election. Can't have jiggers voting I guess.

No, that's not what he said. Perhaps you should actually listen to the tape before you tell people what's in it.

Oh, and your choice of the verb "target" was interesting.

The whole thread is a major fail. It's a fail because of unwarranted assumptions made by Dick (what kind of insult is it to call someone a "jigger"??)
It is a fail because of the assumption by Dick that the purpose is voter suppression. It isn't. The opposite in fact.
It is a fail because of the assumption by Dick that this is somehow racist in nature. It isn't.
It is a fail because of the assumption by Dick that Chicago has had election clean as the pure driven snow when in fact they have had jiggered elections going back to JFK.

No, that's not what he said. Perhaps you should actually listen to the tape before you tell people what's in it.

The precincts that he wanted to target were in predominate African-American neighborhoods. He stated this explicitly. His choice of the word "jigger" was either an intentional double entendre or a subconscious slip. He's provided no proof that any voting irregularities have either been shown in those African-American communities or any plans exist to manipulate the vote there.

The precincts that he wanted to target were in predominate African-American neighborhoods. He stated this explicitly. His choice of the word "jigger" was either an intentional double entendre or a subconscious slip. He's provided no proof that any voting irregularities have either been shown in those African-American communities or any plans exist to manipulate the vote there.

Hard to do in a 30 second clip out of context.
What kind of insult is "jigger"?

What does this have to do with voter suppression? I have been a poll monitor in the past. All you do is make sure that everyone is following the rules. Where I used to live that meant people couldn't be inside the polling place with candidate chotchkies and the people working the polls couldn't tell or show people who to vote for and yeah, that kind of stuff would go on, particularly in the poorer neighborhoods.

Furthermore, if you listen to the tape of Kirk speaking (I'm betting you didn't), he doesn't even mention blacks at all. They're targeting heavily Democratic polling places in the Chicago area to make sure no funny business takes place. Chicago doesn't exactly have a reputation for being honest. Well, knowing that 90% of blacks vote for Democrats and they tend to be clustered in the same neighborhood, sure, it probably works out that many of these neighborhoods are black precincts. It doesn't mean their race has any part in the decision.

Stop screaming like you're a victim all the time. It's old and tiring. There was a news story just a few days ago that said race relations have actually worsened in America since Obama became president. This constant crying wolf of racism and suppression is the reason why. People are sick of it and nobody believes it anymore, which only hurts those who actually do encounter real discrimination.

If you were actually a poll watcher for some candidate, you ought to know how they can slow down the process to a crawl. The can challenge just about any voter, demand extraordinary identification of proof of residency. That's the game Kirk wants to play. Make the lines extra long in African American areas.

And yes, race relations have worsened since Obama became president, but I don't lay the blame on the African-American community. I lay it on the doorsteps of those who still can't come to terms with the fact that we have a black president.

YAWN

only to you

and the verb was jigger, apparently he's out to get alcoholics! :eek:

Forum List

Back