Mark Garner & Tony Randolph

strollingbones

Diamond Member
Sep 19, 2008
chicken farm
cptgarner.jpg

Capt. Mark Garner

Earlier this week we reported on Mark Garner, of Elkin, who was killed in the line of duty in Afghanistan. The United States Army contacted High Country Radio to release more information about Garner and the events that lead to his untimely death.

Garner was a Captain and commander of Company B, 1st Battalion, 4th Infantry Regiment (1-4 Infantry) of the Joint Multinational Readiness Center in Hohenfels, Germany.

The Army says the 30-year-old Elkin native was killed on Monday when an improvised explosive device detonated near a military convoy, striking his vehicle during combat operations in the Arghandab District of Afghanistan.

The incident also claimed the life of Petty Officer Second Class Tony Michael Randolph, a 22-year-old from Henryetta, Oklahoma. Two other Navy personnel were also injured in the attack.

GoBlueRidge.net - More Information Released About Slain Elkin Soldier - Constantly Updated High Country NC News Source

323681000.jpg

A U.S. Navy explosive ordnance technician died Monday after an improvised explosive device attack on his convoy in northern Afghanistan, according to a Department of Defense news release.

Petty Officer 2nd Class Tony Michael Randolph, 22, of Henryetta, Okla., was assigned to Explosive Ordnance Disposal Mobile Unit Eight based in Sigonella, Sicily, the Navy said. He deployed with his platoon to combat homemade bombs.

Sailor killed in Afghanistan attack had earned Purple Heart | HamptonRoads.com | PilotOnline.com

That's a real shame about both of these fine servicemen. I am so thankful that my son returned home safely from a tour of duty in Afghanistan last month. My son was briefly in harms way when a mortor round exploaded near him. The blast concussion threw him up against a wall and he received a concussion from it. Other than that he was fine. My son said being there was the longest 15 months he has ever spent in his life.

Two of many hero's passed. Our prayers are with them and their loved ones.

A good friend of mine who chose to stay in just finished with 36 years under his belt. His last several years were dedicated to the families of our fallen hero's. With his rank he has given many tough orders throughout the years and himself taken part in many tough operations as he moved through the ranks, he is most thankful for the past couple of years, though they were his hardest, they were also the most humbling and gratifying, developing many close relationships with family members and American's in general.

First of all, it's a sad day when two American soldiers are killed.

That being said; these two men died for nothing.

We are in a conflict we can't win; and would gain nothing even if we did.

It would save many lives if we just went ahead and declared "victory" and left the country.

Much like we did in Vietnam

Forum List

Back