Mark 10:25 Easier for a camel...

Dec 10, 2010
"It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God." What does this mean to you?

Michael Medved mentioned on his show something along the lines of this being interpreted as the Wealthy have greater Moral responsibility in the ability to use their wealth for good or for evil. I have to agree. I do not take this as wealth is inherently evil.

Edited by Intense.

"It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God." What does this mean to you?

Michael Medved mentioned on his show something along the lines of this being interpreted as the Wealthy have greater Moral responsibility in the ability to use their wealth for good or for evil. I have to agree. I do not take this as wealth is inherently evil.

Yes the wealthy have a greater responsibility to be charitable. If they are not very charitable with their wealth they do not get to go to heaven.

thats how I read it.

Follow me on Twitter for a Poor mans outlook on the state of our Union. [email protected]

Aesop: “The gods help them that help themselves.”

Here is another perspective, via Aesop:

"The ant works hard every day during the summer, building his house and storing food for the winter. The grasshopper, on the other hand, watches the ant with amusement and prefers to sing and dance, putting nothing away for the winter ahead.

When the winter comes, the grasshopper has nothing to eat and becomes desperate. He elects a president who promises that spreading the food around is good for everyone. The president demonizes the ant for being greedy and asks how he can live with himself when so many others have so little. An executive order is signed demanding the ant turn over 50 percent of his food supply to the government. The grasshopper laughs and plays the rest of the winter, getting fat on the ant’s assets. The ant is depressed and resentful.

The next summer the ant stops preparing his home and storing his food and instead joi9ns the grasshopper, singing and dancing all day. Unfortunately, all of the other ants make the same decision. The next winter, with no one left to exploit, the grasshoppers and ants all die of cold and hunger. The end."
Beck, Balfe, “Broke,” p. 17.

Edited by Intense.

Literally it means that for a camel to enter through the needle gate of the city, the burden must be temporarily removed for the camel to fit through the barrier. Figuratively, Heaven want's you, not your baggage, in any form, riches, attitude, anything that obstructs.

PARABLE OF THE TEN VIRGINS

MT 25:1 "At that time the kingdom of heaven will be like ten virgins who took their lamps and went out to meet the bridegroom. 2 Five of them were foolish and five were wise. 3 The foolish ones took their lamps but did not take any oil with them. 4 The wise, however, took oil in jars along with their lamps. 5 The bridegroom was a long time in coming, and they all became drowsy and fell asleep. MT 25:6 "At midnight the cry rang out: 'Here's the bridegroom! Come out to meet him!' MT 25:7 "Then all the virgins woke up and trimmed their lamps. 8 The foolish ones said to the wise, 'Give us some of your oil; our lamps are going out.' MT 25:9 " 'No,' they replied, 'there may not be enough for both us and you. Instead, go to those who sell oil and buy some for yourselves.' MT 25:10 "But while they were on their way to buy the oil, the bridegroom arrived. The virgins who were ready went in with him to the wedding banquet. And the door was shut. MT 25:11 "Later the others also came. 'Sir! Sir!' they said. 'Open the door for us!' MT 25:12 "But he replied, 'I tell you the truth, I don't know you.' MT 25:13 "Therefore keep watch, because you do not know the day or the hour."

It shows Gd has a sense of humor and likes lame puns. (Hebrew for camel is "Gimel", Eye of the needle in both Hebrew and English is "Gimlet" Why the King James people didn't use gimlet rather than "eye of the needle" I will never know. It ruined the pun.)

Edited by Intense.

It means that class warfare has been around for ages.

To put it into perspective:

Artist's rendition of camel standing near an 'eye of the needle'

Eye-of-a-Needle-in-the-gate-of-a-khan-at-Nazareth.gif

And an actual photo of an 'eye' in the Jerusalem wall:

images

The 'eyes' were constructed into the wall so that people could come and go, but an invading army could not effectively use the opening for access.

It is obvious a camel could get through it but it would be extremely difficult. Jesus frequently used familiar objects and situations as metaphors to illustrate the point he was making.

Intense's interpretation is excellent.

Edited by Intense.

It means that class warfare has been around for ages.

Yeah, I have often wondered why having a lot of wealth isn't good enough.
If one looks at the facts of the Wealth Gap and why there is a Wealth GAP, the wealthy are getting wealthier while everyone else is losing wealth. Wouldn't it be logical to think that the class warfare is the wealthy attacking the working class.
Look, the wealthy have been getting wealthy off the backs of the working class. The wealthy make a huge majority of their income from investments and for the last decade they have been able to increase their wealth by holding the wages of the working class down, while enjoying more of the profits. And this, despite consistent high worker productivity!
As a huge majority of the wealthy's income comes from capital gains/dividends, they have been getting taxed at the 15% rate, the lowest possible rate possible. Who else has seen such a drastic drop in their tax rates, no one else?
It's time to stop the war on the middle class by the wealthy elistist.
Thanks for bringing this up.

And thank you for completely missing the point while proving it.

Indeed. Jesus perceived that the rich young man in the parable was fixated on his wealth and that it was hindering his spiritual well being. It had become a burden to him that, as Intense suggested, needed to be shed in order for him to be spiritually well. And Jesus rightfully noted that many people worship money and possessions to the exclusion of God in their lives and this is a problem for them.

However, Jesus did not at any time suggest that all the rich were evil or bad or that it was wrong to become rich. In the parable of the talents he supported the rich man who disciplined a servant who did not produce satisfactorily.

Yes, the rich do usually use the working class to become rich. But the working class also uses the rich to accumulate what they have. Remove the rich and all become poor with no means of becoming rich.

And thank you for completely missing the point while proving it.

And thank you for missing my sarcarism directed at your previous remark.
The Wealth Gap exists. Wages have been flat for over a decade. The wealthy have been gaining wealth, the working class have been losing wealth. That's why there is so much information on the Growing Wealth Gap and really nothing that disputes it.
But knowing you're a far righty, I knew exactly what you were implying with your first post within this thread. It was predictable and thus my sarcastic reply.

Indeed. Jesus perceived that the rich young man in the parable was fixated on his wealth and that it was hindering his spiritual well being. It had become a burden to him that, as Intense suggested, needed to be shed in order for him to be spiritually well. And Jesus rightfully noted that many people worship money and possessions to the exclusion of God in their lives and this is a problem for them.

However, Jesus did not at any time suggest that all the rich were evil or bad or that it was wrong to become rich. In the parable of the talents he supported the rich man who disciplined a servant who did not produce satisfactorily.

Yes, the rich do usually use the working class to become rich. But the working class also uses the rich to accumulate what they have. Remove the rich and all become poor with no means of becoming rich.

To whom much is given, much is expected.
Luke 12:48

Forum List

Back