Maris and Aaron: still home run kings.

You can't really do that, because everyone was cheating it seems in the 90s and 2000s.

The record is for most HRs, it doesn't say anything about taking roids to get them.

• Banned
You can't really do that, because everyone was cheating it seems in the 90s and 2000s.

The record is for most HRs, it doesn't say anything about taking roids to get them.

I forgot to include Sosa and McGwire in this argument.
Because Sosa, McGwire, and Bonds were all on roids, I think Maris and Aaron should still hold their records.

Let's be honest, all batters after Babe Ruth have had a huge advantage over the last. Aaron had a huge advantage over Ruth, as did Maris.

If you're going for the "true Homerun King" argument, then it obviously is and likely will only be The Babe.

• Banned
Let's be honest, all batters after Babe Ruth have had a huge advantage over the last. Aaron had a huge advantage over Ruth, as did Maris.

If you're going for the "true Homerun King" argument, then it obviously is and likely will only be The Babe.

Several of Ruth's home runs would be counted as ground-rule doubles today. Were Jimmie Foxx's ground rule doubles counted as homers, he'd have had more than 60.
Maris had the advantage of hitting in front of Mickey Mantle. I don't know what advantage Aaron had.

Last edited:
How come? McGwire and Sosa were doing steroids.

I was thinking more of how he only passed Ruth because of the extra games.

well, yes, there is that. So for you, Ruth and Aaron are still HR kings?

I would say so. That being said, I don't think steroid use should necessary knock those others out of Hall of Fame contention. If we got down to it, most players of that era were probably juicing. Unless you're going to sweep the whole thing from the books, you've got to acknowledge the best players of the age.

I was thinking more of how he only passed Ruth because of the extra games.

I would say so. That being said, I don't think steroid use should necessary knock those others out of Hall of Fame contention. If we got down to it, most players of that era were probably juicing. Unless you're going to sweep the whole thing from the books, you've got to acknowledge the best players of the age.

By the time it's all been said, every star's numbers may be tainted. I wonder if Clemens will get in. or A-rod. or Manny. All three have been suspected of juicing.

By the time it's all been said, every star's numbers may be tainted. I wonder if Clemens will get in. or A-rod. or Manny. All three have been suspected of juicing.

We'll have to wait and see. I think it's unrealistic for an entire generation to have little to no representation in the Hall because of this. I could be wrong though.

Ruth never traveled around like players today and played night games and had to face black players.

Also the ball itself has changed from Ruth's day as well as tecnhological advancements in the players bats...

Ruth never traveled around like players today and played night games and had to face black players.

Also the ball itself has changed from Ruth's day as well as tecnhological advancements in the players bats...

that is one side of it. if black players had been integrated into the game, the competition would have been stiffer for Ruth. However, with all the expansion teams (which allow weaker players in) and the fact pitchers don't pitch inside anymore......

Also the impact of diet and exercise.

you mean a-rod or bonds with a personal trainer has an advantage over the hungover mickey mantle or the overweight (and also hungover) babe?

There was an unannounced change after the Players strike. Prior to that you could count on one hand, er two hands, the number of players who had hit 50 or more HR in a year. This was a favorite past time of my friends after George Foster became the latest member.

After the player strike, MLB decided to make the game more "Entertaining" by making it easier for the batter and since then there has an explosion in the number of players @ 50+ HR's.

You can look it up

Forum List

Back