MARINES: would you encourage your son to become one?

MARINES, would you encourage your son to join if you had one?

• YES, I would encourage him for many reasons

Votes: 16 69.6%
  • YES I would but not at this time

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • YES I would but only if DADT stands

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, I'd fight but not sacrifice my son

Votes: 1 4.3%
  • Pray hard

Votes: 6 26.1%

• Total voters

JenT

God lead our troops
Jul 3, 2009
West of the Rockies
To the Marines on this board: Would you encourage your sons to become Marines?

My son has asked for my blessing, and I've already given it but I am completely losing it between trusting God and then thinking what could happen if he were captured. Threats to come after him if he has been captured have not been successful in dissuading him from signing (having your mom show up to rescue you...would a man be embarrassed by anything more? heh)

So I am sincerely asking, WHAT IS "breaking him down" really? Is that like twisting the heads off of puppies to destroy all softness in him?

And would you encourage your son to follow your footsteps and join? Does that even happen? Are there generational Marines?

Thank you very much and please don't rep me for this thread, thanks.

Last edited:
Jen, I'm Air Force, not the Corp, but I have to tell you some of the finest men I've ever met are Marines.

daveman, thanks, and I know, that's probably why he wants to be one. I'm asking if you'd recommend it for your son.

And THANK YOU for all you did for us in the Air Force. His older brother was Air Force (long story) and I'm so proud of him in that and so glad he's back safe. God is good.
ThankTroops.jpg

Last edited:

My son has asked for my blessing, and I've already given it but I am completely losing it between trusting God and then thinking what could happen if he were captured. Threats to come after him if he has been captured have not been successful in dissuading him from signing (having your mom show up to rescue you...would a man be embarrassed by anything more? heh)

So I am sincerely asking, WHAT IS "breaking him down" really? Is that like twisting the heads off of puppies to destroy all softness in him?

And would you encourage your son to follow your footsteps and join? Does that even happen? Are there generational Marines?

Thank you very much.

Assuming he's suited for it and wants to join, I'd recommend it. The military isn't for everyone, but I think my son would do well. The "breaking him down" concept is in boot camp where everyone is reduced to a common low level to break old habits and change the mindset from individual into part of something much larger. Then the Corps builds the hard chargers up to a level where they are efficient, vigilant, and always watching the backs of their comrades.

Jen, I'm Air Force, not the Corp, but I have to tell you some of the finest men I've ever met are Marines.

daveman, thanks, and I know, that's probably why he wants to be one. I'm asking if you'd recommend it for your son.
If I had a son, yes. :)
And THANK YOU for all you did for us in the Air Force. His older brother was Air Force (long story) and I'm so proud of him in that and so glad he's back safe. God is good.
ThankTroops.jpg
He is indeed. Thank you, and thank you for raising your sons right. :clap2:

I would not recommend it. But if it is really what he wants, they only take legal adults so it would be his choice.

I would not recommend it. But if it is really what he wants, they only take legal adults so it would be his choice.

USCitizen, are you a Marine? I'm happy for input from all but am really listening to anyone that's been there.

My son sent me a link to a messageboard specifically for this but I get a migraine if I go there, it makes it all too real and I'm not ready yet.

And yes, I realize he could join with or without my blessing. It's not about permission, he doesn't need it. But everyone tells me I'm supposed to support him and I"m having a hard time.

Last edited:

USCitizen, are you a Marine? I'm happy for input from all but am really listening to anyone that's been there.

My son sent me a link to a messageboard specifically for this but I get a migraine if I go there, it makes it all too real and I'm not ready yet.

And yes, I realize he could join with or without my blessing. It's not about permission, he doesn't need it. But everyone tells me I'm supposed to support him and I"m having a hard time.

Nope not a Marine, but I fought alongside a few in Nam.

It is hard to always support tyour child in their ventures. As long as it is an honorable venture DO support them and hope for the best.
It is your/our way of showing that we love and trust them. They will fall down sometimes, we just need to be there to help them back up. And yes some will be damaged in the service or in other ventures in life and a few will even die. But we cannot run their life for them. Pray if you are so inclined, but sive them support. It is not always easy, but they will need that love and support from you when they get lonely and or afraid in a far away place. They will come to realize just how much they need your support and love.

Do not expect to get the same person back though, they will change a lot and usually for the better.

We must all sometime say goodbye to our child and hope to get an adult back.

Best of wishes/luck to you and your son. Hang in there, good parenting is sure as heck not easy.

Exactly.

Same as Dave, I was AF, Marines were some of my best friends and I have nothing but the utmost respect for them. If my child has a desire to become one, not only would I give them 110% support, but I would be the proudest father on the planet!!! :)

:salute:

Yes. It's a great way to learn discipline. To see the world. To make friends. To learn a "trade". To get a guaranteed home loan and to get education benefits.

And did I mention, "Self confidence"?

if he came to me and asked what branch of service I'd recommend if he had his mind set on joining, I'd say choose for yourself, do your homework.

I'd love it on one hand if he chose the Corp. but on the other, if he stopped a bullet, I'd never forgive myself if I recommended he be a Rifleman.

Being a retired US Navy Chief Hospital Corpsman, I have had the honor of working with the Marines many times. It takes a special kind of person to be a Marine. If you can prove yourself worthy to wear that uniform, you are indeed a special kind of man. You should be proud of your son and offer all the encouragement and support you can muster.

Assuming he's suited for it and wants to join, I'd recommend it. The military isn't for everyone, but I think my son would do well. The "breaking him down" concept is in boot camp where everyone is reduced to a common low level to break old habits and change the mindset from individual into part of something much larger. Then the Corps builds the hard chargers up to a level where they are efficient, vigilant, and always watching the backs of their comrades.
Nope not a Marine, but I fought alongside a few in Nam.

It is hard to always support tyour child in their ventures. As long as it is an honorable venture DO support them and hope for the best.
It is your/our way of showing that we love and trust them. They will fall down sometimes, we just need to be there to help them back up. And yes some will be damaged in the service or in other ventures in life and a few will even die. But we cannot run their life for them. Pray if you are so inclined, but sive them support. It is not always easy, but they will need that love and support from you when they get lonely and or afraid in a far away place. They will come to realize just how much they need your support and love.

Do not expect to get the same person back though, they will change a lot and usually for the better.

We must all sometime say goodbye to our child and hope to get an adult back.

Best of wishes/luck to you and your son. Hang in there, good parenting is sure as heck not easy.
Exactly.

Same as Dave, I was AF, Marines were some of my best friends and I have nothing but the utmost respect for them. If my child has a desire to become one, not only would I give them 110% support, but I would be the proudest father on the planet!!! :)

:salute:

Yes. It's a great way to learn discipline. To see the world. To make friends. To learn a "trade". To get a guaranteed home loan and to get education benefits.

And did I mention, "Self confidence"?
if he came to me and asked what branch of service I'd recommend if he had his mind set on joining, I'd say choose for yourself, do your homework.

I'd love it on one hand if he chose the Corp. but on the other, if he stopped a bullet, I'd never forgive myself if I recommended he be a Rifleman.
Being a retired US Navy Chief Hospital Corpsman, I have had the honor of working with the Marines many times. It takes a special kind of person to be a Marine. If you can prove yourself worthy to wear that uniform, you are indeed a special kind of man. You should be proud of your son and offer all the encouragement and support you can muster.

Thank you so much for all your input, but so sincerely, THANK YOU so much for all you did for our country.

Rose.jpg

I think I'll send a link of this thread to my son. When you watch for them, it's amazing how many Marines and Armed Forces you know. I was in AZ recently and a certain community had a whole section and memorial honoring our troops there. I really am grateful, especially now, because looking a little closer at where my son is going and why, it just makes me appreciate what you've done even more than before. God bless you each and every one. Our country owes you a huge debt and it makes me mad when people in other areas in my family purposely and willfully ignore it.

The more I talk with Marines and others, the better I feel about it. Thanks.

If thats what he really wanted to do, I would make sure he knows what hes getting into, and than I would support him 100%.

but how can you really know until you're there? I don't think you can. You've got to walk in those boots to really know what it is, don't you?

And yep, he really wants to. So many people have had long talks with him, he listens, seems to agree, then half an hour later or whenever he sees me he says, "You DO realize I'm going, right?" He's doing a lot to prepare before signing. Working out hard. He promised someone else he would wait and think about it until a certain date which is almost here.

That's why I think God's calling him to it. He's agreed to ask Him about it, that's all I care about. If he goes with God, gosh, he could walk through fire and not be hurt. Or be taken home if that's His will. Just as long as he goes with God. That's all that really matters.

Thank you very much.
I encouraged my stepson to join the Marines.
I'm ex-Navy so it wasn't easy :tongue:
That was before 9-11. He ended up being in the first push into Iraq.
I couldn't be more proud.
The "breaking down" is just a Vulcan mind trick kinda thing. They gotta get them down to the basics so they can react with instinct and follow orders without clouded thought.
Second-guesses and taking the time for your conscience to weigh in will get you hurt or killed.

The obvious love you have for your son has built the foundation of a great man. The Marine Corps can build on to that with respect, attention to detail, drive, and a brotherhood of Marines (past and present) that will propell him through life with his head screwed on tight, held high, and looking straight ahead.

Of course these are the opinions of a dad.
Watching my wife sit up through the nights with her eyes glued to the 24hr news, trying to catch a glimpse or a sound byte about his unit, worrying over every IED report, jumping out of her skin every time the phone rang, etc.... She would tell you, in no uncertain terms "NO".

:eusa_pray:

Forum List

Back