Marine veteran’s meal-replacement bars take aim at MREs

longknife

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2012
Sin City
image.jpg

I’m always amazed by the ingenuity of those who use their noodles to find new and better ways to do things. He got tired of Meals Rotten and Enfuriating and decided to find something better.

DeMaio said he contacted a nutritionist with Naval Special Warfare Command at Naval Amphibious Base Coronado, Calif., who told him exactly what warfighters would need in such a product.

So I baked up a batch and sent it to some buddies I had that were in Afghanistan to see if it was viable,” DeMaio said. “The response I got was, ‘These are really good. They keep us going. Send more.’ That’s how I got started.”

More @ Marine veteran’s meal-replacement bars take aim at MREs

I hope it's not a permanent field ration. Did the fat assed "experts" ever consider that something the size of a candy bar might fill the technical daily nutritional needs of an average human but it won't fill your stomach? It's a ling time since Marines were starving to death on Guadalcanal because the Navy was afraid to supply them but it's kind of ironic that methods for feeding the Troops have evolved to the point that you can practically guarantee a full course Thanksgiving meal in a couple of hours anywhere in the world and exotic weapons are routinely airlifted so that the Troops won't have to carry them. Yet the egg heads insist that weight and size and textbook nutritional value are all that we need to consider even if the food has degenerated to the point that a freaking goat wouldn't eat it. MRE's were developed for weight reduction but you had to carry twice as much water to compensate or use what ever shit pool you could find.. I used to complain about C-rations but I'm thinking that they weren't so bad after all.

Last edited:
I liked the MREs--especially with T sauce
...of course I've been grateful for just about any meals/food since, when I was a teen, reading how people starved in WW2/etc
...we had some old CRats with cans one time .....
..I remember the meatloaf or something was like a dry sponge until you added water
but with T sauce it tasted good

A little bottle of Texas Pete used to be standard for smart Marines in the field. I recall that we had a dog hanging around the mortar platoon somewhere and we fed him a C-rat can of beef and peas with gravy. He dug a hole and buried it.

A little bottle of Texas Pete used to be standard for smart Marines in the field. I recall that we had a dog hanging around the mortar platoon somewhere and we fed him a C-rat can of beef and peas with gravy. He dug a hole and buried it.
we used Tobasco sauce in the 80s--made everything taste ''good''
..I loved the fruitcakes [ food ] ..especially with some ''mocha'' in the canteen

If I recall correctly the cocoa furnished with C-rats would not dissolve in water no matter how much you stirred it in a canteen cup. The trick was making a paste with the cocoa powder and the powdered creamer and feed it into the boiling water. The point of the post is to suggest that the focus of the fat assed "experts" needs to be to supply combat Troops with good stuff in the 21st century rather than trying to create dried crap they work out on a computer that even goats won't eat.

At 1300 calories each, three of those things provide darned near 4000 calories daily. That's pretty darned good. The piece doesn't say how much sugar they have, but I bet very little.

At 1300 calories each, three of those things provide darned near 4000 calories daily. That's pretty darned good. The piece doesn't say how much sugar they have, but I bet very little.

I don't get it. At a point in the 21st century where there are no front lines and Troops can rely on the greatest Nation in the world to furnish them with everything from cell phone service to freaking video games, the idiots in the Pentagon think it's a good idea to create a freaking (guaranteed) tasteless candy bar that a goat wouldn't eat. The point of course is weight but weight isn't the solution when water is crucial for survival. If the fat assed "experts" want to put Marines on a candy bar let them try it out for a week and let us how they make out.

To me this sounds more like it would be a good fit in survival kits. Like say what aircrews have, or placed inside of life rafts.

But for troops in the field, not a good replacement. Good long term rations are more than simply the number of calories they provide.

Forum List

Back