Marine left for dead in Mexican prison

musingsofacac

musingsofacac
Dec 3, 2012
south east Michigan
Extortion call, somber visit bring nightmare home for parents of Marine jailed in Mexico | Fox News

It is when I hear of things like this - whether to American military or civilian - that my blood boils. They put him in prison - and he could have a 15 year sentence for having his father's antique shot gun - he did'nt try to hide it and declared it to mexican authorities, he was told it was legal as long as he declared it.

We are the most powerful nation in the world, and we let this little corrupt country of mexico wrongly in-prison one of our own? Maybe we don't have the balls to send in special forces to get him out, but at least send in some US mercenaries(no US uniforms) to get him out.

I really don't understand why we allow these things to happen.

Here's the thing. Google "can i bring my gun to mexico?" the answers are real easy to find.

Guns are no joke in Mexico.

The US Department of State warns US citizens against taking any firearm or ammunition into Mexico without prior written authorization from the Mexican authorities.
Entering Mexico with a firearm, or even a single round of ammunition, carries a penalty of up to five years in prison, even if the firearm or ammunition is taken into the country unintentionally. Furthermore even a single round of 9 mm ammunition, being a military caliber cartridge, carries even heavier jail-time penalties.
The only way legally to import firearms and/or ammunition into Mexico is to secure a permit in advance from the Mexican Embassy in Washington, D.C. or from a Mexican consulate.

Last edited:
Coming soon: If guns were banned we wouldn't have this problem... :lol:

I say we take a chapter out of the mexican law books...and start handing out and treating prisoner and criminals... like they do!

Extortion call, somber visit bring nightmare home for parents of Marine jailed in Mexico | Fox News

It is when I hear of things like this - whether to American military or civilian - that my blood boils. They put him in prison - and he could have a 15 year sentence for having his father's antique shot gun - he did'nt try to hide it and declared it to mexican authorities, he was told it was legal as long as he declared it.

We are the most powerful nation in the world, and we let this little corrupt country of mexico wrongly in-prison one of our own? Maybe we don't have the balls to send in special forces to get him out, but at least send in some US mercenaries(no US uniforms) to get him out.

I really don't understand why we allow these things to happen.

A microcosim of American hubris. The problem was not in Mexico. They have every right to make their own laws. The NRA has NOTHING coming in Mexico. The failure was on the American side of the border with our own border officials. They should have been aware of the strict gun laws in mexico. Christ! All the "good" and stupid marine had to do was go online and google mexico's firearms laws.

We are not obligated to go all over the world to rescue stupid Americans that assume they have special privilege outside of our borders.

Here is a note to his mommy. You should have been doing a better job of raising your kid. He is a dumbass. Your tears mean nothing.

Here's the thing. Google "can i bring my gun to mexico?" the answers are real easy to find.

And, the fact that he's a former Marine means absolutely nothing in relation to Mexican law.

It's pretty elemental, folks. If you're going to a foreign country, don't expect to violate their laws with impunity. KNOW the law BEFORE you go.

Now do I believe that they let him in, set him up, called patrol to take him in? sure, i can totally see that happening. Wouldn't surprise me one bit especially because he is a Marine.

He's a civilian and he broke the law in a foriegn country. The trucker who took a wrong turn spent more than 6 months in jail before we were able to work out a deal with the Mexican government.

What do you want? For us to invade a sovereign nation and break him out?

He's a civilian and he broke the law in a foriegn country. The trucker who took a wrong turn spent more than 6 months in jail before we were able to work out a deal with the Mexican government.

The U S government could easily "pay his fines" AKA ransom and get him out for probabaly less than $100,000.

Last edited:
This guy's family should try to do a fund raiser to raise the money to get him out. The story has already gone national. Shouldn't be too hard.

The U S government coud easily "pay his fines" AKA ransom and get him out for probabaly less than $100,000.

And that's the governments responsibility because?

The U S government could easily "pay his fines" AKA ransom and get him out for probabaly less than $100,000.

And that's the governments responsibility because?

Note word "could" not "should".

Last edited:

The US Department of State warns US citizens against taking any firearm or ammunition into Mexico without prior written authorization from the Mexican authorities.
Entering Mexico with a firearm, or even a single round of ammunition, carries a penalty of up to five years in prison, even if the firearm or ammunition is taken into the country unintentionally. Furthermore even a single round of 9 mm ammunition, being a military caliber cartridge, carries even heavier jail-time penalties.
The only way legally to import firearms and/or ammunition into Mexico is to secure a permit in advance from the Mexican Embassy in Washington, D.C. or from a Mexican consulate.

I'm surprised that the US agents allowed him to proceed when he declared his gun.

I'm surprised that the US agents allowed him to proceed when he declared his gun.

That IS the REAL story here.

That IS the REAL story here.

It seems the Mexicans treat guns the way we treat drugs. Zero tolerance for infractions. No doubt the guy fucked up. Hopefully, we can work something out with Mexico

You mean soverign little corrupt nation where cops and military routinely pull people over and take their money? There is little that is not corrupt in Mexico. It is a petty offence, it was a fricken antique rifle. Even many of the Mexican military wrote the court officers they should release him.

Speaking of soverignty - mexicans violate our national soverignty by coming here illegally every day and draining our social systems, please don't lecture me about soverignty.

Maybe what needs to happen since we are so powerless to act is some American millionaire needs to make an anonymous donation to a mercenary unit to go and get the guy out.

This is just part and parcel of the weak nation we have become(i.e. Bengazi, Libya), no nation in this history of mankind has possessed the power we do and act with such restraint.

You mean soverign little corrupt nation where cops and military routinely pull people over and take their money? There is little that is not corrupt in Mexico. It is a petty offence, it was a fricken antique rifle. Even many of the Mexican military wrote the court officers they should release him.

Speaking of soverignty - mexicans violate our national soverignty by coming here illegally every day and draining our social systems, please don't lecture me about soverignty.

Maybe what needs to happen since we are so powerless to act is some American millionaire needs to make an anonymous donation to a mercenary unit to go and get the guy out.

This is just part and parcel of the weak nation we have become(i.e. Bengazi, Libya), no nation in this history of mankind has possessed the power we do and act with such restraint.

It was not a petty offense. You are an idiot to make such a statement without reading the Mexican law.

Forum List

Back