Marine Chooses Wedding Ring Over Finger

Discussion in 'Middle East - General' started by -Cp, Dec 13, 2004.

1. -Cp

-Cp Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +363
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/worldlatest/story/0,1280,-4669025,00.html

Sunday December 12, 2004 9:31 PM

VICTORVILLE, Calif. (AP) - When Marine Lance Cpl. David Battle learned he'd either have to sacrifice his ring finger or the wedding band he wore, he told doctors at a field hospital in Iraq to cut off the finger.

The 19-year-old former high school football star suffered a mangled left hand and serious wounds to his legs in a Nov. 13 fire fight in Fallujah. Battle, who is recovering at his parents' home in this desert city 80 miles northeast of Los Angeles, came under attack as he and fellow Marines entered a building. Eleven other Marines were wounded.

Doctors were preparing to cut off Battle's ring to save as much of his finger as they could.

``But that would mean destroying my wedding ring,'' he said. ``My wife is the strongest woman I know. She's basically running two people's lives since I've been gone. I don't think I could ever repay her or show her how grateful ... how much I love my wife, my soul mate.''

With his approval, doctors severed his finger, but somehow in the chaos that followed, they lost his ring.

Although Battle was disappointed, his wife, Devon, said she was honored.

``I can't believe he did that,'' she said. ``At first I was mad when he told me, but then I realized how lucky I am to have him in my life.''

The couple, who met in the eighth grade, were married in June, just two weeks before Battle left for Iraq. He hopes to eventually return to the Marines, and to replace his wedding ring, but that will have to wait until he recovers.

In the meanwhile, Battle's high school has planned a banquet in his honor next week.

``We need to make more David Battles,'' said Daniel Pierce, the school's assistant head coach. ``He is one amazing guy.''

2. dmp

dmp Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +741
    Too many people place they value or strength of their comittment onto a piece of metal. In this case, it's just a ring. Frankly, if my wife did that, i'd be pissed as all get-out. I'm sure she'd be pissed at me, too

:(

3. Merlin1047

Merlin1047 Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +450
    I have to say I question his judgement. A ring does not a marriage make.

You can get a new ring. You can't get a new finger.

What kind of quack would even give a person a choice like that? If I were the doctor, I would have simply told him that he'd have to go shopping for a new ring when we were done.

4. NATO AIR

NATO AIR Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +282
    marines are special

5. krisy

krisy Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +112
    I saw this on the news last night.....what a guy!!!! I applaud him for his commitment. However,I did wonder if the ring was really worth his finger. My wedding ring was the ring my grandpa gave my grandma on their 30th anniversary,and my husband had diamonds set in it before the wedding,but didn't tell me. It's small,but worth so much. It has so much value being that it was grandma's and if it were me,it would be a hard decision. Can't believe they lost it though!!!!! What a bummer!!

6. Patriot

Patriot BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +33

He is young and in love, what can one say?

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  7. MissileMan

MissileMan Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +223
    Agreed! What makes it even more questionable is the fact that the ring isn't destroyed in the procedure but merely cut and spread. A trip to any jewelry store would have the ring looking like it was brand new.

8. UsaPride

UsaPride Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +198
    They were going to cut his finger anyway. Either cut a little and screw up the ring, or cut alot and keep the ring. I can't imagine how much he loves his wife that he would do that, that's amazing. Of course it's "just a ring" to some, but it is a symbol, to him at least, of not only how much he loves his wife, but how much she loves him.
    I think he's a very special man!! Just think of the stories they'll tell their kids. That's very upsetting that they lost the ring though.
    Besides, my uncle lived with no fingers on one hand, just a thumb, for most of his life, it never hurt him!

9. Avatar4321

Avatar4321 Diamond Member Gold Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,153
    Well thats a choice for love i hope i never have to make.

10. dilloduck

dilloduck Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,403
    Taking into consideration the incredibly stupid things have done to "keep" a significant other from leaving, this gesture of affection at least seems honorable.