Marijuana...

nycflasher

Apr 15, 2004
CT
Legalize it?

Or continue to throw people in overcrowded jails?

Tying in bullypulpit's post, how about marijuana for medical purposes?

My thoughts: Legalize it.

Two reasons:

1) I can't think of a good reason not to.
2) If alcohol is legal, marijuana NEEDS to be. And it is.

I'm watching 'Without a Trace' about mercy-killing of terminal cancer patients.
Heavy stuff ;-(

It was only made illegal because chemical companies developed treatments for breaking wood down into pulp and they wanted to corner the paper market. look it up. marijuana was demonized in what was called the reefer madness movement which used a lot of the same propaganda points of the temperance movement to ban alchohol.

Maybe that would change some people's opinions on the issue. but if you understand the history of cannabis and it's "off-on" relationship with our laws it's hard to make a case that differentiates between alchohol and marijuana.

lol@the idea of sending addicts to jail.

Originally posted by nycflasher
Legalize it?

Or continue to throw people in overcrowded jails?

Tying in bullypulpit's post, how about marijuana for medical purposes?

My thoughts: Legalize it.

Two reasons:

1) I can't think of a good reason not to.
2) If alcohol is legal, marijuana NEEDS to be. And it is.

I'm watching 'Without a Trace' about mercy-killing of terminal cancer patients.
Heavy stuff ;-(

That was a great movie - truly was some heavy stuff!

I dont see any reason to legalize it. But then im of the opinion that prohibition should still be in place.

The crime involved in any black market alone should be enough to make us think longer and harder about making any substance illegal. Jails should be for violent criminals, not people with mere bad habits. Now crack. Maybe crack should be illegal, but not weed.

I don't think I'd go so far as to legalize it, but I think it's downright cruel not to make it available through a doctor for patients who need it, ie-cancer patients w/ nausea, AIDS carriers w/o appetite and glaucoma sufferers w/ pressure headaches. They're too ill to get behind the wheel of a car or operate machinery, etc. anyway.

Originally posted by Avatar4321
I dont see any reason to legalize it. But then im of the opinion that prohibition should still be in place.

Do you believe that people who choose to smoke it belong in the penatentiary alongside violent offenders????

Originally posted by MadMax
Do you believe that people who choose to smoke it belong in the penatentiary alongside violent offenders????

No, those who grow it and sell it illegally do though.

Originally posted by Quad
It was only made illegal because chemical companies developed treatments for breaking wood down into pulp and they wanted to corner the paper market. look it up. marijuana was demonized in what was called the reefer madness movement which used a lot of the same propaganda points of the temperance movement to ban alchohol.

Maybe that would change some people's opinions on the issue. but if you understand the history of cannabis and it's "off-on" relationship with our laws it's hard to make a case that differentiates between alchohol and marijuana.

lol@the idea of sending addicts to jail.

Oh yeah... I know the history of the criminalization of marijuana and it is enough to make you sick. Sicker than a bucketfull of Tequila will make you ;-)

As for the differences between Mary J and alcohol, here's a couple:

1. Alcohol contributes to MANY fatal car accidents and wife-beatings and all sorts of other lethal actions. As far as I know, marijuana does not.

2. It isn't possible to overdose on marijuana.

3. Okay I'm too tired to finish this list. Suffice it to say, there is no logical argument for the legalization of alcohol but not marijuana.

If you disagree...bring it. :rolleyes:

Oh yeah... I know the history of the criminalization of marijuana and it is enough to make you sick. Sicker than a bucketfull of Tequila will make you ;-)

1. Alcohol contributes to MANY fatal car accidents and wife-beatings and all sorts of other lethal actions. As far as I know, marijuana does not.

3. Okay I'm too tired to finish this list. Suffice it to say, there is no logical argument for the legalization of alcohol but not marijuana.

Cant argue with that but as I said thats why i oppose the legalization of both:) im rather consistant.

Originally posted by clumzgirl
I don't think I'd go so far as to legalize it, but I think it's downright cruel not to make it available through a doctor for patients who need it, ie-cancer patients w/ nausea, AIDS carriers w/o appetite and glaucoma sufferers w/ pressure headaches. They're too ill to get behind the wheel of a car or operate machinery, etc. anyway.

Why not legalize it, clumzgirl?
Certainly there are many who are too clumzy;-) to get behind the wheel of a car, period, let alone the "high" factor. Hence, our exorbitant car insurance rates.

I have known alot of smokers in my day and NONE of them has ever had a pot-related accident. If anything, I think pot makes one hyper-aware when driving. Or, those jackasses who you see on the highway going 20 mph ;-)

Originally posted by Avatar4321
No, those who grow it and sell it illegally do though.

I still don't agree with that, for the simple fact that most people I know sell very small amounts and smoke for recreational purposes...Answer me this, do you think they belong in the same category as say a rapist???Or someone who enjoys beating the shit out of others??? or a seria; killer??? or just a violent POS??? I totally disagree that they belong in the same institutuion....But hey that's just me... Wow if you do you are one scary individual.My GOD they lock em up and say fend for yourself in an environment that is so hostile you couldn't imagine. I hope someone you love and care about gets put in that situation then you might understand where I'm coming from.

If you read the history and know what you are talking about, wasn't it the fact that the gin and whiskey drinking crowd were afraid of the loco weed smokin Mexicans???I can find and post links but I believe you might already know that.

Originally posted by rtwngAvngr
The crime involved in any black market alone should be enough to make us think longer and harder about making any substance illegal. Jails should be for violent criminals, not people with mere bad habits. Now crack. Maybe crack should be illegal, but not weed.

I kinda feel like crack should be legal, too. If you wanna kill yourself, at least you do it without taking a 3-year old girl who got hit by accident in a cocaine related drive-by shooting. Whole black market thing, like you said. That's a whole 'nother ball of wax though...

I agree with jail being for violent offenders, not those with bad habits.
I think you left out some other prime jail candidates though, like Martha!!! ;-)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't MJ cause hallucinations?

On the other hand, if you legalize it, you'll put a serious crimp in the styles of dealers, who probably commit more crimes than all of their buyers and users combined.

Originally posted by MadMax
I still don't agree with that, for the simple fact that most people I know sell very small amounts and smoke for recreational purposes...Answer me this, do you think they belong in the same category as say a rapist???Or someone who enjoys beating the shit out of others??? or a seria; killer??? or just a violent POS??? I totally disagree that they belong in the same institutuion....But hey that's just me... Wow if you do you are one scary individual.My GOD they lock em up and say fend for yourself in an environment that is so hostile you couldn't imagine. I hope someone you love and care about gets put in that situation then you might understand where I'm coming from.

Settle down, Max ;-)
I agree with you, though, if marijuana were legal it wouldn't even be an issue. But yeah, I see more harm than good for locking someone up for sellin a little grass. But as long as it isn't legal this will happen.

Forum List

Back