Marijuana - Wasted Potential

Modbert

Daydream Believer
Sep 2, 2008
$wastedpotential_50c8a.jpg

Thoughts?

For those that can't read it:

Left Side:

2/3 Age 12+ admit to Smoking Marijuana at least once.

Possession Arrests vs Trafficking Arrests in 2008:

89% Simple Possession
11% Trafficking

Frequency of Marijuana Related Arrests

1 Person Every 38 Seconds

Number of Arrests Made in 2008:

The Possession of Marijuana circle is larger than Possession of a Deadly weapon.

The Map of the U.S. is most light green is most Marijuana use.

Right Side:

States with potential tax revenue.

The top 10 tax revenue states to the right plus the other 40 equal to $778,200,000+ tax revenue.

$14,100,000,000 will be spent to reduce drug use and availability in 2009.

$26,809/Per Minute or $446.81/Per Second.

Last edited:
My thoughts are I wish I could read what that says.

btw,,,why don't you say "discuss" anymore?

:redface: Didn't factor in other people's vision.

As for your question, I still do sometimes. I go back and forth really. Though I would rather have the topic I post discussed, then someone from the "clique" coming in to troll the thread.

Last edited:
For those that can't read it:

Left Side:

2/3 Age 12+ admit to Smoking Marijuana at least once.

89% Simple Possession
11% Trafficking

Frequency of Marijuana Related Arrests

1 Person Every 38 Seconds

Number of Arrests Made in 2008:

The Possession of Marijuana circle is larger than Possession of a Deadly weapon.

The Map of the U.S. is most light green is most Marijuana use.

Right Side:

States with potential tax revenue.

The top 10 tax revenue states to the right plus the other 40 equal to $778,200,000+ tax revenue.

$14,100,000,000 will be spent to reduce drug use and availability in 2009.

$26,809/Per Minute or $446.81/Per Second.

Is there something on there about how many people are serving time in jail for JUST possession of marijuana?

Is there something on there about how many people are serving time in jail for JUST possession of marijuana?

Yep, third one to the left.

89% Simple Possession
11% Trafficking

847,864 Marijuana related arrests made last year. 89% were simple possession.

Leaves 754,598 or so arrests on possession only. Least according to this.

847,864 Marijuana related arrests made last year. 89% were simple possession.

Leaves 754,598 or so arrests on possession only. Least according to this.

So are that many people serving time in jail for simple possession then?

So are that many people serving time in jail for simple possession then?

Ah no, those numbers of arrests are just from 2008 alone. Most of the time, offenders will get a fine and or probation if I remember reading correctly awhile back. However, I did write an essay on The War on Drugs. Let me find it, because I had those numbers down.

Looks like the essay didn't have the numbers specifically.

However, I did find this nifty interview. Everything you could want to know about Pot and laws pertaining to it really.

frontline: busted - america's war on marijuana: interviews: eric schlosser

It's a pretty large number, in the sense that, certainly, in the federal system, about one out of every six federal inmates is in federal prison for marijuana. That's a very large number. There are more people now in federal prison for marijuana offenses than for violent offenses. Out of the 1.1 million people in American prisons, the marijuana offenders are not the majority. But there are a lot of them. And certainly, at a time when there's a shortage of prison space and when murderers are serving on average about six years in prison, it seems absurd to have non-violent marijuana offenders locked up in those large numbers.

The propaganda of the 1930s against marijuana portrayed it as the killer weed. This was known as the Reefer Madness period. And marijuana was seen as a treat to America's youth being pedaled by Mexicans and blacks and jazz musicians, and it was said to turn the average American youth into a homicidal, suicidal, sex-crazed, maniac. And even though the propaganda films of those years are absurd, more people have been punished and imprisoned in the last ten years than were every actually harmed by the laws passed during the 1930s.

I never arrest people for pot

See, this is what I'm trying to figure out.

Since we have such over crowding in prisons, wouldn't it make sense to lock up the criminals that are a menace to society and keep them in longer than using those cells for someone that just wants to chill and get high?

pretty much....I don't arrest people for pot because

A- I used to smoke a shit load of it when I was younger

B- See A

Now, don't get me wrong...I have brought people in for possession if I had a superior with me or they were being a jerkoff to me.

However 99% of the time if the person is cool with me and honest...I make them throw it away and tell them to have a good night and to go home

Looks like the essay didn't have the numbers specifically.

However, I did find this nifty interview. Everything you could want to know about Pot and laws pertaining to it really.

frontline: busted - america's war on marijuana: interviews: eric schlosser

It's a pretty large number, in the sense that, certainly, in the federal system, about one out of every six federal inmates is in federal prison for marijuana. That's a very large number. There are more people now in federal prison for marijuana offenses than for violent offenses. Out of the 1.1 million people in American prisons, the marijuana offenders are not the majority. But there are a lot of them. And certainly, at a time when there's a shortage of prison space and when murderers are serving on average about six years in prison, it seems absurd to have non-violent marijuana offenders locked up in those large numbers.

The propaganda of the 1930s against marijuana portrayed it as the killer weed. This was known as the Reefer Madness period. And marijuana was seen as a treat to America's youth being pedaled by Mexicans and blacks and jazz musicians, and it was said to turn the average American youth into a homicidal, suicidal, sex-crazed, maniac. And even though the propaganda films of those years are absurd, more people have been punished and imprisoned in the last ten years than were every actually harmed by the laws passed during the 1930s.

The link is a good read...especially near the end where it explains why legalization will likely not occur...it's a cash cow for the "legal" system...you know, the legitimized fleecing of the population for the sake of lawyers and government agencies.

The link is a good read...especially near the end where it explains why legalization will likely not occur...it's a cash cow for the "legal" system...you know, the legitimized fleecing of the population for the sake of lawyers and government agencies.

It is a great read. I would also recommend seeing American Drug War: The Last Great White Hope.

As I was telling Paulie last night, the War on Drugs is one of the best things to happen to the private prison system and the law system ever. The lawyers make so much money, the government agencies make so much money from what they take and auction off, the private prisons make so much money for having the prisoners there.

We have spent I believe around $46 billion combined between state and federal level this year alone. Again, the statistics speak for themselves.

See, this is what I'm trying to figure out.

Since we have such over crowding in prisons, wouldn't it make sense to lock up the criminals that are a menace to society and keep them in longer than using those cells for someone that just wants to chill and get high?

Such is the way with our Justice system at times. Especially when it comes to drugs.

I think a great read for anyone is how in the 1930s that Marijuana came about to be banned in the first place. Just the other day, I re watched Reefer Madness, and I was laughing at how ridiculous it was. Then I also realized that back then, people were legitimately scared, and it made me just shake my head.

Forum List

Back