many vets draw 1k per month, untaxed, for "hearing loss"

and similar bs. 50% disability. Google for it. 100% disability can still mean that you get around fine, etc, too and it pays 3k per month, untaxed.

Unless it's the complete loss of hearing, the going rate for hearing loss is 20%. That pays a grand total of 600 bucks a month from the VA. And that is a Maximum. And it includes hearing aides. I have hearing loss but unless my total VA pay comes to over 50%, I will stay with my Military Retirement. I can't have both.

Your misinformation has been noted.

and similar bs. 50% disability. Google for it. 100% disability can still mean that you get around fine, etc, too and it pays 3k per month, untaxed.

So American veterans don't deserve to be compensated for hearing loss, and other undesirable traits they incurred in fighting foreign wars — is that part of this "bs" of which you speak, smart guy???
No. They don't deserve to be compensated tax free.

So American veterans don't deserve to be compensated for hearing loss, and other undesirable traits they incurred in fighting foreign wars — is that part of this "bs" of which you speak, smart guy???
They deserve to be compensated with the deal made when entering the service. That deal was for tax free disability when they signed up. If people want to change the contract for new enlistees they have the right to lobby and promote a new law which would tax future service personnel who become disabled. That is not likely to happen. The American people won't support such a measure and no politician will want to promote taxing our wounded warriors.

They do deserve compensation, but this is just another harmful consequence (among many) of our political class and oligarchy's love of foreign wars.

Hearing loss can be a serious detriment to your life and employment potential. The fact that the hearing loss was sustained while serving the country means we foot the bill for it.

Many of the disabilities do not show. Not all disabled people are in a wheel chair. But their disabilities are certainly just as real.

According to this website Veterans there are 5,522,589 disabled veterans (partial and total disability). In 2013 we spent $63,574,737,000.00 on disabled benefits and pensions for disabled veterans. That averages out to a whopping $11,511.76 per veteran. Seems a pretty paltry amount for what those people went thru and suffered. It amounts to 2% of the federal budget for 2013. Look at the other 98% of the budget for places to cut. Those men & women stepped up on their own and we promised we'd take care of them.
We've got a guy in my shop who is a disable veteran who told me he applies for every benefit he can get. He's only here half of the week....the rest on leave. Another who is always sick because all he does is sit at home an drink beer. I'm a vet and have screwed up feet and problems with my lungs but have no disability other than what they gave me for a broken nose. 10%....which pays nothing. People keep telling me to apply for benefits, but I think doing so eats up all of the money for guys that really need it.
This is what goes on with Welfare. Too many people collecting benefits that could be working.

They deserve to be compensated for their voluntary service.
Whether they deserve it or not is an opinion and legally irrelevant. They receive disability because they earned it as defined in the contractual arrangement they made when they agreed to put themselves in harms way. It is part of the agreed upon pay and benefit package and like any other employer, the government is obligated to live up to it's obligations.

Civilian Disability is non taxable. Get over it.

No disability should be tax free. Get over it.
What is there to get over? You are the one swimming against the tide and proposing something that will need public support and new legislation on federal and state levels. Until that happens you are the one who has to get over it.

More often than not our veterans lack the support and dignity they deserve.

Whether they deserve it or not is an opinion and legally irrelevant. They receive disability because they earned it as defined in the contractual arrangement they made when they agreed to put themselves in harms way. It is part of the agreed upon pay and benefit package and like any other employer, the government is obligated to live up to it's obligations.
There is no opinion involved. They should get whatever was included in their contract. Nothing more.

There is no opinion involved. They should get whatever was included in their contract. Nothing more.

The military contract has contained the following provision for generations (I have it in mine from 1978): "Entitled to receive pay, allowances, and other benefits as provided by law and regulation." Congress and the Department of Defense define the specifics of laws and regulations the government military service.

Part of the law established by Congress is the medical care and disability coverage for service related injuries.

Therefore it was part of the contract entered into between the service member and the Federal government.

http://usmilitary.about.com/library/pdf/enlistment.pdf

>>>>

Forum List

Back