Many Faiths, One Truth

“One should not honour only one's own religion and condemn the religions of others, but one should honour others' religions for this or that reason. So doing, one helps one's own religion to grow and renders service to the religions of others too. In acting otherwise one digs the grave of one's own religion and also does harm to other religions. Whosoever honours his own religion and condemns other religions, does so indeed through devotion to his own religion, thinking "I will glorify my own religion". But on the contrary, in so doing he injures his own religion more gravely. So concord is good: Let all listen, and be willing to listen to the doctrines professed by others.”

Emperor Asoka

If our little emperor here respected Christianity, Islam, and Judaism (to name a few) then he would respect the fact the basic tenets of those religions is NOT to listen to embrace other religions. It just shows the ironically blatant disregard for other peoples religions he and those like him really have.

Look at people from other faiths as people, not as categories or religions. Don't block someone out just because their religion does not match up with yours.

Be informed about other faiths and customs. Read up on traditions that are not your own, including, if possible attend a service or ceremony from another faith. Ask for permission and assistance with etiquette if you need it. Read outsiders' viewpoints on your own religion or belief system. Understand why others might not see it your way and notice what prejudice looks like, if you encounter any. Include philosophic and secular viewpoints in your study of other faiths.

Look for similarities. While they may be called or observed differently, many traditions have similar core values, such as helping the needy, leading a moral, ethical life, and being loyal to the faith.

Keep an open mind. If something is unfamiliar or different, don't shut it out. Explore it and understand it.

Remember that belief (including your own) is just that: belief. The beliefs of those following other faiths were most likely learned much the same way you learned your own, from family, community, and participation in religious instruction.

Take care when talking about religion. Many people hold it close to their hearts. Be prepared to change the subject or lighten up the conversation if a well-intentioned debate should veer off into conflict.

Avoid forcing your opinion or belief upon others. Be willing to explain if someone asks, but do not try to convert others.
How to Respect and Be Open to All Beliefs - wikiHow

Last edited:
I saw this article written by HH the Dalai Lama. It made me think about the challenges we have talking about our respective different spiritual tradtions in the religion forum . I thought it might serve as food for thought. What truth can we find in all walks of life regardless of the presence or absence of a specific faith tradtion?

"Though intolerance may be as old as religion itself, we still see vigorous signs of its virulence. In Europe, there are intense debates about newcomers wearing veils or wanting to erect minarets and episodes of violence against Muslim immigrants. Radical atheists issue blanket condemnations of those who hold to religious beliefs. In the Middle East, the flames of war are fanned by hatred of those who adhere to a different faith.

Such tensions are likely to increase as the world becomes more interconnected and cultures, peoples and religions become ever more entwined. The pressure this creates tests more than our tolerance — it demands that we promote peaceful coexistence and understanding across boundaries.

Granted, every religion has a sense of exclusivity as part of its core identity. Even so, I believe there is genuine potential for mutual understanding. While preserving faith toward one’s own tradition, one can respect, admire and appreciate other traditions.

Finding common ground among faiths can help us bridge needless divides at a time when unified action is more crucial than ever. As a species, we must embrace the oneness of humanity as we face global issues like pandemics, economic crises and ecological disaster. At that scale, our response must be as one.

Harmony among the major faiths has become an essential ingredient of peaceful coexistence in our world. From this perspective, mutual understanding among these traditions is not merely the business of religious believers — it matters for the welfare of humanity as a whole. "

Op-Ed Contributor - Many Faiths, One Truth - NYTimes.com

Don't worry, you will get what you are longing for. You will bite the one world religion hook line and sinker. Only to find out there is ONE true G-d and it aint the one you chose.

The only reason we have "intolerance" is because we have religions that seek to wipe out another race or religion to attain peace. The concept of coexistence and a one world religion is just this concept on steroids.

I found this a hateful post, The Light. You misrepresent Sky Dancer's POV as "one world religion" and you compare the Dahlia Lama to genocidical maniacs. If she had compared the Pope to them, you'd be outraged. It is precisely this sort of lack of respect that she is addressing.

I know you consider telling the truth hateful. I consider lying to someone and telling them that they are okie dokie as the walk of a cliff hateful. I guess it all goes back to the difference between yours and my religion. You believe death is good, I believe it is bad.

Don't worry, you will get what you are longing for. You will bite the one world religion hook line and sinker. Only to find out there is ONE true G-d and it aint the one you chose.

The only reason we have "intolerance" is because we have religions that seek to wipe out another race or religion to attain peace. The concept of coexistence and a one world religion is just this concept on steroids.

I found this a hateful post, The Light. You misrepresent Sky Dancer's POV as "one world religion" and you compare the Dahlia Lama to genocidical maniacs. If she had compared the Pope to them, you'd be outraged. It is precisely this sort of lack of respect that she is addressing.

I know you consider telling the truth hateful. I consider lying to someone and telling them that they are okie dokie as the walk of a cliff hateful. I guess it all goes back to the difference between yours and my religion. You believe death is good, I believe it is bad.

If you want your point of view respected, respect others. Respect is a two way street, and respect is not an entitlement, it's earned.

Look at people from other faiths as people, not as categories or religions. Don't block someone out just because their religion does not match up with yours.

Be informed about other faiths and customs. Read up on traditions that are not your own, including, if possible attend a service or ceremony from another faith. Ask for permission and assistance with etiquette if you need it. Read outsiders' viewpoints on your own religion or belief system. Understand why others might not see it your way and notice what prejudice looks like, if you encounter any. Include philosophic and secular viewpoints in your study of other faiths.

Look for similarities. While they may be called or observed differently, many traditions have similar core values, such as helping the needy, leading a moral, ethical life, and being loyal to the faith.

Keep an open mind. If something is unfamiliar or different, don't shut it out. Explore it and understand it.

Remember that belief (including your own) is just that: belief. The beliefs of those following other faiths were most likely learned much the same way you learned your own, from family, community, and participation in religious instruction.

Take care when talking about religion. Many people hold it close to their hearts. Be prepared to change the subject or lighten up the conversation if a well-intentioned debate should veer off into conflict.

Avoid forcing your opinion or belief upon others. Be willing to explain if someone asks, but do not try to convert others.
So much crappola. I have no desire to open my mind to other man made religions. God hates them, and so do I. They are all crap and usless ramblings of people who want to make themselves the equal of God.

Taint gonna happin. God (JHVH) is God and there is none other like Him. Only He is worthy of praise. All the rest of this Feel good Be Happy religion is all the deception of Satan and will be destroyed by God (JHVH) in the coming months.

Either get with the program or get the hell out of the way.:clap2::clap2::clap2:

So much crappola. I have no desire to open my mind to other man made religions. God hates them, and so do I. They are all crap and usless ramblings of people who want to make themselves the equal of God.

Taint gonna happin. God (JHVH) is God and there is none other like Him. Only He is worthy of praise. All the rest of this Feel good Be Happy religion is all the deception of Satan and will be destroyed by God (JHVH) in the coming months.

Either get with the program or get the hell out of the way.:clap2::clap2::clap2:

You may want to check out the religious humor thread.

God promises to KILL all of those idiotic people of other religions. JHVH does not have any patience with Hindus, Bahai's, Moslems, Buddhists, and the new "God is Love" religions that call themselves Christians.

Either you accept God on his terms, or He is going to kill you in a few more months. Read the Bible.

God said it. I believe it. That is good enough for me.

Show me anywhere in the Bible where God promises to kill anyone just because they disagree with you. I have tried to get you to learn something about what the Bible really says, but you continually refuse to respond to my posts, probably because you know I am right. I know you will claim that I am of the devil, or something else in order to make yourself feel superior, but the truth is that you are spiritually descended from the Pharisees, and you would happily condemn Jesus to crucifixion just like they did. You are as incapable of understanding God as they were.

Which is why Jesus refused to talk to the Samaritans.

Jesus did not win converts by telling them they were wrong, even when he was directly asked about who was right, he simply preached the truth. Maybe you should try that aproach rather than condemning everyone.

God is God. He has said in the Bible that those people who know Him and honor Him will spend eternity with Him. Those people who refuse to know Him, for whatever reason, get to spend eternity in Outer Darkness.

Can you cite a scripture that spells this out?

He (JHVH) has made it all very simple. All of those people who refuse God do so with no expectation of ever seeing him and obviously no desire to do so. They get exactly what they have asked for, and you claim that makes God a psychopath? Boy, are you messed up in the head!

What are they asking for?

As far as the killing of all of the people of Earth, souls are eternal. Bodies are not. We are all going to die a physical death. For thousands and thousands of years we have been dying physical deaths. So now all of a sudden you think that God is wrong to have allowed it? Something that is very simple is not computing in your brain. In this difficult life on Earth, we live and eventually die. Those people who choose to walk with God, like me, get to do so. Those people who do not want to walk with God get to do that. We get what we choose. Amazing simplicity. YOU need to turn your brain on.

Where does it say that God is going to kill anyone? Again I would like a scripture reference.

If you want your point of view respected, respect others. Respect is a two way street, and respect is not an entitlement, it's earned.

No one has to earn my respect. I give respect until someone shows me that they have "earned" my disrespect.

God promises to KILL all of those idiotic people of other religions. JHVH does not have any patience with Hindus, Bahai's, Moslems, Buddhists, and the new "God is Love" religions that call themselves Christians.

Either you accept God on his terms, or He is going to kill you in a few more months. Read the Bible.

God said it. I believe it. That is good enough for me.

Show me anywhere in the Bible where God promises to kill anyone just because they disagree with you. I have tried to get you to learn something about what the Bible really says, but you continually refuse to respond to my posts, probably because you know I am right. I know you will claim that I am of the devil, or something else in order to make yourself feel superior, but the truth is that you are spiritually descended from the Pharisees, and you would happily condemn Jesus to crucifixion just like they did. You are as incapable of understanding God as they were.

You are totally insane. You know nothing of Jesus. I am an authority on his life.

Nowhere in the Bible does it say that God promises to kill anybody because they disagree with me.

Everywhere in the Bible it says that God promises to kill everybody because they disagree with HIM! God's wrath is the same regardless. I did not write the Bible. I just recommend that people read it for the first time in their lives. Almost nobody ever has.

Get it straight, or go to hell where you belong. God does not have patience with people like you who lie all of the time. You disagree with God (JHVH), so you figure if you deny the God (JHVH) of the Bible you can post your lies on this forum. You are of your father, the Devil, SATAN. Get thee hence, Satan!

Jesus did not win converts by telling them they were wrong, even when he was directly asked about who was right, he simply preached the truth. Maybe you should try that aproach rather than condemning everyone.

Interesting that you use condemnation to make your point that condemnation is wrong. As they say, never say never.

And don't go there with anything out of the Bible because you are flat out wrong.

Which flies in the face of your OP.

Can you cite a scripture that spells this out?

What are they asking for?

Where does it say that God is going to kill anyone? Again I would like a scripture reference.

The old testament Prophets tell of a coming time where the Earth is going to be destroyed. They refer to the time period leading into that destruction of the Earth as the Later Days. The last seven years of the Earth are called the Last Days.

In the New Testament there is confirmation in Matthew of those last seven years when the Apostles ask Jesus about that time. It is quoted in my signature in part. As far as the description of how all of the people of the Earth are destroyed, read the Revelation of John, which is the last book of the Bible. I even condensed some of the killing for your benefit in another post.

If you had ever read the Bible, you would know all of this stuff. YOu have obviously never read the Bible, and do not know JHVH, the God of Wrath, Anger, War, Hate and Love of the Bible. He is not this Hippi Bippi Do Good All Loving and Sugar Sweet Namby Pamby Kind Hearted old man that the Christian denominations now falsely try to tell people to believe. They have all departed from the God of the Old Testament.

A Mighty Warrior is Our God.

http://edwards.yale.edu/files/graham-transcript.pdf

Last edited:

Anyone arrogant enough to reject the verdict of the judge or of the priest who represents the LORD your God must be put to death. Such evil must be purged (Deuteronomy 17:12 NLT)

You should not let a sorceress live. (Exodus 22:17 NAB)

"If a man lies with a male as with a women, both of them shall be put to death for their abominable deed; they have forfeited their lives." (Leviticus 20:13 NAB)

A man or a woman who acts as a medium or fortuneteller shall be put to death by stoning; they have no one but themselves to blame for their death. (Leviticus 20:27 NAB)

Whoever strikes his father or mother shall be put to death. (Exodus 21:15 NAB)

1) If one curses his father or mother, his lamp will go out at the coming of darkness. (Proverbs 20:20 NAB)

2) All who curse their father or mother must be put to death. They are guilty of a capital offense. (Leviticus 20:9 NLT)

If a man commits adultery with another man's wife, both the man and the woman must be put to death. (Leviticus 20:10 NLT)

A priest's daughter who loses her honor by committing fornication and thereby dishonors her father also, shall be burned to death. (Leviticus 21:9 NAB)

Whoever sacrifices to any god, except the Lord alone, shall be doomed. (Exodus 22:19 NAB)

They entered into a covenant to seek the Lord, the God of their fathers, with all their heart and soul; and everyone who would not seek the Lord, the God of Israel, was to be put to death, whether small or great, whether man or woman. (2 Chronicles 15:12-13 NAB)

If a man still prophesies, his parents, father and mother, shall say to him, "You shall not live, because you have spoken a lie in the name of the Lord." When he prophesies, his parents, father and mother, shall thrust him through. (Zechariah 13:3 NAB)

Suppose you hear in one of the towns the LORD your God is giving you that some worthless rabble among you have led their fellow citizens astray by encouraging them to worship foreign gods. In such cases, you must examine the facts carefully. If you find it is true and can prove that such a detestable act has occurred among you, you must attack that town and completely destroy all its inhabitants, as well as all the livestock. Then you must pile all the plunder in the middle of the street and burn it. Put the entire town to the torch as a burnt offering to the LORD your God. That town must remain a ruin forever; it may never be rebuilt. Keep none of the plunder that has been set apart for destruction. Then the LORD will turn from his fierce anger and be merciful to you. He will have compassion on you and make you a great nation, just as he solemnly promised your ancestors. "The LORD your God will be merciful only if you obey him and keep all the commands I am giving you today, doing what is pleasing to him." (Deuteronomy 13:13-19 NLT)

But if this charge is true (that she wasn't a virgin on her wedding night), and evidence of the girls virginity is not found, they shall bring the girl to the entrance of her fathers house and there her townsman shall stone her to death, because she committed a crime against Israel by her unchasteness in her father's house. Thus shall you purge the evil from your midst. (Deuteronomy 22:20-21 NAB)

1) If your own full brother, or your son or daughter, or your beloved wife, or you intimate friend, entices you secretly to serve other gods, whom you and your fathers have not known, gods of any other nations, near at hand or far away, from one end of the earth to the other: do not yield to him or listen to him, nor look with pity upon him, to spare or shield him, but kill him. Your hand shall be the first raised to slay him; the rest of the people shall join in with you. You shall stone him to death, because he sought to lead you astray from the Lord, your God, who brought you out of the land of Egypt, that place of slavery. And all Israel, hearing of this, shall fear and never do such evil as this in your midst. (Deuteronomy 13:7-12 NAB)

2) Suppose a man or woman among you, in one of your towns that the LORD your God is giving you, has done evil in the sight of the LORD your God and has violated the covenant by serving other gods or by worshiping the sun, the moon, or any of the forces of heaven, which I have strictly forbidden. When you hear about it, investigate the matter thoroughly. If it is true that this detestable thing has been done in Israel, then that man or woman must be taken to the gates of the town and stoned to death. (Deuteronomy 17:2-5 NLT)

One day a man who had an Israelite mother and an Egyptian father got into a fight with one of the Israelite men. During the fight, this son of an Israelite woman blasphemed the LORD's name. So the man was brought to Moses for judgment. His mother's name was Shelomith. She was the daughter of Dibri of the tribe of Dan. They put the man in custody until the LORD's will in the matter should become clear. Then the LORD said to Moses, "Take the blasphemer outside the camp, and tell all those who heard him to lay their hands on his head. Then let the entire community stone him to death. Say to the people of Israel: Those who blaspheme God will suffer the consequences of their guilt and be punished. Anyone who blasphemes the LORD's name must be stoned to death by the whole community of Israel. Any Israelite or foreigner among you who blasphemes the LORD's name will surely die. (Leviticus 24:10-16 NLT)

1) Suppose there are prophets among you, or those who have dreams about the future, and they promise you signs or miracles, and the predicted signs or miracles take place. If the prophets then say, 'Come, let us worship the gods of foreign nations,' do not listen to them. The LORD your God is testing you to see if you love him with all your heart and soul. Serve only the LORD your God and fear him alone. Obey his commands, listen to his voice, and cling to him. The false prophets or dreamers who try to lead you astray must be put to death, for they encourage rebellion against the LORD your God, who brought you out of slavery in the land of Egypt. Since they try to keep you from following the LORD your God, you must execute them to remove the evil from among you. (Deuteronomy 13:1-5 NLT)

2) But any prophet who claims to give a message from another god or who falsely claims to speak for me must die.' You may wonder, 'How will we know whether the prophecy is from the LORD or not?' If the prophet predicts something in the LORD's name and it does not happen, the LORD did not give the message. That prophet has spoken on his own and need not be feared. (Deuteronomy 18:20-22 NLT)

So God let them go ahead and do whatever shameful things their hearts desired. As a result, they did vile and degrading things with each other's bodies. Instead of believing what they knew was the truth about God, they deliberately chose to believe lies. So they worshiped the things God made but not the Creator himself, who is to be praised forever. Amen. That is why God abandoned them to their shameful desires. Even the women turned against the natural way to have sex and instead indulged in sex with each other. And the men, instead of having normal sexual relationships with women, burned with lust for each other. Men did shameful things with other men and, as a result, suffered within themselves the penalty they so richly deserved. When they refused to acknowledge God, he abandoned them to their evil minds and let them do things that should never be done. Their lives became full of every kind of wickedness, sin, greed, hate, envy, murder, fighting, deception, malicious behavior, and gossip. They are backstabbers, haters of God, insolent, proud, and boastful. They are forever inventing new ways of sinning and are disobedient to their parents. They refuse to understand, break their promises, and are heartless and unforgiving. They are fully aware of God's death penalty for those who do these things, yet they go right ahead and do them anyway. And, worse yet, they encourage others to do them, too. (Romans 1:24-32 NLT)

For the LORD had said to Moses, 'Exempt the tribe of Levi from the census; do not include them when you count the rest of the Israelites. You must put the Levites in charge of the Tabernacle of the Covenant, along with its furnishings and equipment. They must carry the Tabernacle and its equipment as you travel, and they must care for it and camp around it. Whenever the Tabernacle is moved, the Levites will take it down and set it up again. Anyone else who goes too near the Tabernacle will be executed.' (Numbers 1:48-51 NLT)

The LORD then gave these further instructions to Moses: 'Tell the people of Israel to keep my Sabbath day, for the Sabbath is a sign of the covenant between me and you forever. It helps you to remember that I am the LORD, who makes you holy. Yes, keep the Sabbath day, for it is holy. Anyone who desecrates it must die; anyone who works on that day will be cut off from the community. Work six days only, but the seventh day must be a day of total rest. I repeat: Because the LORD considers it a holy day, anyone who works on the Sabbath must be put to death.' (Exodus 31:12-15 NLT)

Interesting that you use condemnation to make your point that condemnation is wrong. As they say, never say never.

And don't go there with anything out of the Bible because you are flat out wrong.

How is suggesting you try a different approach condemnation?

Forum List

Back