Many Faiths, One Truth

Sky Dancer

Rookie
Jan 21, 2009
I saw this article written by HH the Dalai Lama. It made me think about the challenges we have talking about our respective different spiritual tradtions in the religion forum . I thought it might serve as food for thought. What truth can we find in all walks of life regardless of the presence or absence of a specific faith tradtion?

"Though intolerance may be as old as religion itself, we still see vigorous signs of its virulence. In Europe, there are intense debates about newcomers wearing veils or wanting to erect minarets and episodes of violence against Muslim immigrants. Radical atheists issue blanket condemnations of those who hold to religious beliefs. In the Middle East, the flames of war are fanned by hatred of those who adhere to a different faith.

Such tensions are likely to increase as the world becomes more interconnected and cultures, peoples and religions become ever more entwined. The pressure this creates tests more than our tolerance — it demands that we promote peaceful coexistence and understanding across boundaries.

Granted, every religion has a sense of exclusivity as part of its core identity. Even so, I believe there is genuine potential for mutual understanding. While preserving faith toward one’s own tradition, one can respect, admire and appreciate other traditions.

Finding common ground among faiths can help us bridge needless divides at a time when unified action is more crucial than ever. As a species, we must embrace the oneness of humanity as we face global issues like pandemics, economic crises and ecological disaster. At that scale, our response must be as one.

Harmony among the major faiths has become an essential ingredient of peaceful coexistence in our world. From this perspective, mutual understanding among these traditions is not merely the business of religious believers — it matters for the welfare of humanity as a whole. "

Op-Ed Contributor - Many Faiths, One Truth - NYTimes.com

Last edited:
  • Banned
Thanks for the link, Madeline. That website is one of my favorites too.

God promises to KILL all of those idiotic people of other religions. JHVH does not have any patience with Hindus, Bahai's, Moslems, Buddhists, and the new "God is Love" religions that call themselves Christians.

Either you accept God on his terms, or He is going to kill you in a few more months. Read the Bible.

God said it. I believe it. That is good enough for me.

God promises to KILL all of those idiotic people of other religions. JHVH does not have any patience with Hindus, Bahai's, Moslems, Buddhists, and the new "God is Love" religions that call themselves Christians.

Either you accept God on his terms, or He is going to kill you in a few more months. Read the Bible.

Lighten up, Francis.

Lighten up, Francis.
Elvis, God has made his message very clear. He has given us a time table. I am a simple Christian who knows the God of the Old Testament. He is totally intolerant of all of this riff raff and has promised to kill them all. It is in the Bible. Read it. I have pointed out most of the important verses. He would not have said it if it were not true. You obviously support one of these insane satanic God is Love religions, and if you are, you are trying to deceive the very elect. Turn away from Satan, Elvis.

Lighten up, Francis.
Elvis, God has made his message very clear. He has given us a time table. I am a simple Christian who knows the God of the Old Testament. He is totally intolerant of all of this riff raff and has promised to kill them all. It is in the Bible. Read it. I have pointed out most of the important verses. He would not have said it if it were not true. You obviously support one of these insane satanic God is Love religions, and if you are, you are trying to deceive the very elect. Turn away from Satan, Elvis.

Would I need Satan's help to deceive you?

• Banned
"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia." Charles Schultz, creator of the Peanuts comic strip.

Last edited:
I saw this article written by HH the Dalai Lama. It made me think about the challenges we have talking about our respective different spiritual tradtions in the religion forum . I thought it might serve as food for thought. What truth can we find in all walks of life regardless of the presence or absence of a specific faith tradtion?

"Though intolerance may be as old as religion itself, we still see vigorous signs of its virulence. In Europe, there are intense debates about newcomers wearing veils or wanting to erect minarets and episodes of violence against Muslim immigrants. Radical atheists issue blanket condemnations of those who hold to religious beliefs. In the Middle East, the flames of war are fanned by hatred of those who adhere to a different faith.

Such tensions are likely to increase as the world becomes more interconnected and cultures, peoples and religions become ever more entwined. The pressure this creates tests more than our tolerance — it demands that we promote peaceful coexistence and understanding across boundaries.

Granted, every religion has a sense of exclusivity as part of its core identity. Even so, I believe there is genuine potential for mutual understanding. While preserving faith toward one’s own tradition, one can respect, admire and appreciate other traditions.

Finding common ground among faiths can help us bridge needless divides at a time when unified action is more crucial than ever. As a species, we must embrace the oneness of humanity as we face global issues like pandemics, economic crises and ecological disaster. At that scale, our response must be as one.

Harmony among the major faiths has become an essential ingredient of peaceful coexistence in our world. From this perspective, mutual understanding among these traditions is not merely the business of religious believers — it matters for the welfare of humanity as a whole. "

Op-Ed Contributor - Many Faiths, One Truth - NYTimes.com

Don't worry, you will get what you are longing for. You will bite the one world religion hook line and sinker. Only to find out there is ONE true G-d and it aint the one you chose.

The only reason we have "intolerance" is because we have religions that seek to wipe out another race or religion to attain peace. The concept of coexistence and a one world religion is just this concept on steroids.

Last edited:
There is no truth in the occult, mysticism or magic. It's all a "con".

How ironic, to open a thread about religious tolerance only to see wing nuts gleefully celebrating "the end is nigh" and most of us are going to die. Some people seem to feel the primary purpose of their faith is to allow them to feel superior to others; evidentially, that rarely happens on its own merits.

How ironic, to open a thread about religious tolerance only to see wing nuts gleefully celebrating "the end is nigh" and most of us are going to die. Some people seem to feel the primary purpose of their faith is to allow them to feel superior to others; evidentially, that rarely happens on its own merits.

How ironic to have someone speaking about coexistence and "putting people down" when they started a whole thread trashing Christianity.

Oh the irony. Oh the irony.:lol:

Lighten up, Francis.

I call this a FLUSH! until the nice men in the white coats with the butterfly nets come to put him back on his meds.

“There are many paths to the top of the mountain, but the view is always the same” ...

Chinese Proverb

How ironic to have someone speaking about coexistence and "putting people down" when they started a whole thread trashing Christianity.

Oh the irony. Oh the irony.:lol:

I was myself admiring the touting of "religious tolerance" from someone so bigoted as to be mentally unbalanced. She's nothing if not entertaining.

Sometimes that is very hard to see.

I'd love to know what sect any of the avowed christians on this thread belongs to; all this joy at the downfall of their neighbor seems a bit odd to me.

if more religious folk undertook to improve themselves rather than judge their neighbors, i would find it easier to admire them.

$irony.jpg

Forum List

Back