Many dietary supplements are contaminated

JBeukema

Rookie
Apr 23, 2009
everywhere and nowhere
WASHINGTON — Many popular dietary supplements contain ingredients that may cause cancer, heart problems, liver or kidney damage, but U.S. stores sell them anyway and Americans spend millions on them, according to Consumer Reports.
The consumer magazine published a report on Tuesday highlighting the U.S. Food and Drug Administration's lack of power to regulate such supplements, and said the agency rarely uses what little power it does have.
The report from the influential group urged Congress to speed up small moves toward giving the agency more clout, especially in regulating supplements.

Many dietary supplements are contaminated - Health - Alternative medicine - msnbc.com

Every time I hear news like this true as it may sometimes be I can't help wonder how much some big pharma lobbyist paid some retarded journalist to write it. This all lays the groundwork for an FDA powerplay and the pharmaceutical companies to pretty much take dietary supplements etc out of the marketplace.

God forbid people eat healthy and exercise, instead of looking for a "miracle drug" to make them lose weight. :cuckoo:

Popular weight loss supplement found in many diet fad drugs under many different names. Causes extreme mood changes in some people among other things.

The jury is still out on the POTENTIAL effects (positive and negative) of chromium piclonate. On the potential positive side it is used primarily as an anti-depressant with a, as yet, unproven ability to assist with metabolizing carbohydrates in large quantities. The potential negative side has yet to be proven due to the presence of other compounds present in the herbal mixtures that are also potentially suspect. Also the same can be said concerning it's possible causative factor with mood swings.

Every time I hear news like this true as it may sometimes be I can't help wonder how much some big pharma lobbyist paid some retarded journalist to write it. This all lays the groundwork for an FDA powerplay and the pharmaceutical companies to pretty much take dietary supplements etc out of the marketplace.

You have a point. They're inexpensive and if you get the right combinations in certain vitamins and minerals, you can really help yourself. You have to watch out for drug interactions.

I love the natural remedies and holistic cures, look here for suggestions for just about any issues:

E A R T H . C L I N I C - Folk Remedies and Holistic Cures

Something to try before running to the Doc.

The jury is still out on the POTENTIAL effects (positive and negative) of chromium piclonate. On the potential positive side it is used primarily as an anti-depressant with a, as yet, unproven ability to assist with metabolizing carbohydrates in large quantities. The potential negative side has yet to be proven due to the presence of other compounds present in the herbal mixtures that are also potentially suspect. Also the same can be said concerning it's possible causative factor with mood swings.

Yeah, the herbal mixtures are a little more scary and potentially drug interaction prone. I would turn to a healthier diet before using those.

Yeah, the herbal mixtures are a little more scary and potentially drug interaction prone. I would turn to a healthier diet before using those.

I take proven vitamin/mineral supplements but refuse to take the "herbal miracle cures". Thanks, no thanks. I also only take pharmaceuticals when I have to, unfortunately I have to take two of them on a daily basis. :(

WASHINGTON — Many popular dietary supplements contain ingredients that may cause cancer, heart problems, liver or kidney damage, but U.S. stores sell them anyway and Americans spend millions on them, according to Consumer Reports.
The consumer magazine published a report on Tuesday highlighting the U.S. Food and Drug Administration's lack of power to regulate such supplements, and said the agency rarely uses what little power it does have.
The report from the influential group urged Congress to speed up small moves toward giving the agency more clout, especially in regulating supplements.

Many dietary supplements are contaminated - Health - Alternative medicine - msnbc.com

I don't know about little power to regulate. I've had many different pro-hormone products I like to take for my strength training banned over the last 6 years.

The FDA can do whatever it wants. It hides behind the "little power" bullshit to cover its ass when it's slow to react on something.

Forum List

Back