Many Boston teens surveyed say Rihanna is at fault for assault

strollingbones

Diamond Member
Sep 19, 2008
chicken farm
nearly half the kids ask..said she was at fault...what in the world are we teaching kids as a society that they feel a young man has a right to beat down a young woman?

Here's a conversation starter: Nearly half of the 200 Boston teenagers interviewed for an informal poll said pop star Rihanna was responsible for the beating she allegedly took at the hands of her boyfriend, fellow music star Chris Brown, in February.

Of those questioned, ages 12 to 19, 71 percent said that arguing was a normal part of a relationship; 44 percent said fighting was a routine occurrence.

The results of the survey, conducted by the Boston Public Health Commission across the city and equally among boys and girls, are startling for local health workers who see a generation of youths who seem to have grown accustomed, even insensitive, to domestic violence.

"I think you'd have to be pretty jaded if you weren't startled by it," said Casey Corcoran, director of the health commission's new Start Strong program.

The program began in the fall as part of a Start Strong: Building Healthy Teen Relationships Initiative, a private foundation program that was offered in 11 cities across the country. Corcoran said the four-year, $1 million competitive grant program will allow the city to train mentors and outreach workers to speak to 11- to 14-year-olds about the dangers of domestic violence.

Corcoran said the Rihanna and Brown controversy, which is one of today's top entertainment news stories and a topic of conversation for young people, allows for teachers and parents to begin conversations about the dangers, and prevalence, of domestic violence.

full article: Many Boston teens surveyed say Rihanna is at fault for assault - The Boston Globe

Well, here are the words from MY teen (13 yo girl)

"Mom, why didn't Rihanna just beat the crap out of him! I would have knocked him down and he would have been crying like a baby!"

There are teens out there that don't see this as acceptable. It's scary to think there are teens that do. Scary as hell.

nearly half the kids ask..said she was at fault...what in the world are we teaching kids as a society that they feel a young man has a right to beat down a young woman?

Didn't Rihanna hit him first? My mom always told me, "Don't start nothing, and there won't be nothing."

I think women have to take responsibility for their own actions. If you don't want a physical confrontation with a man, DON'T START ONE by throwing the first punch.

Last edited:

Didn't Rihanna hit him first? My mom always told me, "Don't start nothing, and there won't be nothing."

I think women have to take responsibility for their own actions. If you don't want a physical confrontation with a man, DON'T START ONE by throwing the first punch.

Funny, most men in the older generation would never hit a girl back if she punched him.

Just saying.

Well, yeah, in theory you're never supposed to answer back. But I've always thought, if a girl really went medieval on my ass, I can't say I know how long I could hold before retaliating- though must likely the correct action would be to run away. And what if the girl can actually kick the shit out of you? I remember I was with this one girl who knew some crazy super blackbelt kung-fu- she could've turned me into a pretzel if she had wanted to. = O

Well, but thankfully I've never been and hopefully will never be in that situation, but since we're on the subject, ths is what happens in India when you slap a girl back:

[youtube]uWch9E-Xi64[/youtube]

AHAHAHAHAHA!!!

Well, here are the words from MY teen (13 yo girl)

"Mom, why didn't Rihanna just beat the crap out of him! I would have knocked him down and he would have been crying like a baby!"

There are teens out there that don't see this as acceptable. It's scary to think there are teens that do. Scary as hell.

Anyone who thinks him hitting her was acceptable has seen that garbage at home. It's disgusting.

Here's a conversation starter: Nearly half of the 200 Boston teenagers interviewed for an informal poll said pop star Rihanna was responsible for the beating she allegedly took at the hands of her boyfriend, fellow music star Chris Brown, in February.

Of those questioned, ages 12 to 19, 71 percent said that arguing was a normal part of a relationship; 44 percent said fighting was a routine occurrence.

The results of the survey, conducted by the Boston Public Health Commission across the city and equally among boys and girls, are startling for local health workers who see a generation of youths who seem to have grown accustomed, even insensitive, to domestic violence.

"I think you'd have to be pretty jaded if you weren't startled by it," said Casey Corcoran, director of the health commission's new Start Strong program.

The program began in the fall as part of a Start Strong: Building Healthy Teen Relationships Initiative, a private foundation program that was offered in 11 cities across the country. Corcoran said the four-year, $1 million competitive grant program will allow the city to train mentors and outreach workers to speak to 11- to 14-year-olds about the dangers of domestic violence.

Corcoran said the Rihanna and Brown controversy, which is one of today's top entertainment news stories and a topic of conversation for young people, allows for teachers and parents to begin conversations about the dangers, and prevalence, of domestic violence.

full article: Many Boston teens surveyed say Rihanna is at fault for assault - The Boston Globe

They're both at fault. I see a lot of old-school "the guy should never hit the woman back" responses, but fact is, I've seen some downright SCARY women.

The point that's being missed here is NEITHER person should EVER resort to physical violence. Nobody wins.

They're both at fault. I see a lot of old-school "the guy should never hit the woman back" responses, but fact is, I've seen some downright SCARY women.

The point that's being missed here is NEITHER person should EVER resort to physical violence. Nobody wins.

Absolutely true. But a) I think it's a leap to think she hit him first; and b) there's a huge difference in the damage she could do to him as opposed to vice versa.

Absolutely true. But a) I think it's a leap to think she hit him first; and b) there's a huge difference in the damage she could do to him as opposed to vice versa.

Physically, you could be right.

None of us really know the circumstances of their relationship though. If you actually do more than casually glance at domestic violence, there's a who lot more to it than hitting; which, is usually the culminating event, and does not address the nature of the relationship nor the circumstances that led to the physical violence.

I see some of your comments as snap judgments based on stereotyping abusive relationships as men are always at fault because generally, they are bigger.

I'm not condoning his actions by any means, but I have been in the situation where my ex would purposefully push all the wrong buttons trying to get me to hit her.

I don't recall the exact study, but I read one that makes a simple yet obvious, but mostly overlooked point: Emotional/psychological abuse is every bit as much damaging as physical abuse with one major difference: people heal from physical abuse. They never heal from emotional abuse unless they actually recognize it and do something about it.

Sure the physical abuse should be addressed. It's wrong. If they intend to continue their relationship, they have to address the causes, and I'll bet you'd find in most cases, the guilt evens out a LOT in that aspect.

I totally understand what you're saying. But the truth is that abusers generally have a history of abusing people. They have controlling personalities and there is an entire set of "symptoms" (for lack of a better word) and telltale signs of such a personality.

What IS true, based on everything I have seen/learned is that it is never the victim's "fault" that they were abused, same as it is not the victim's "fault" when they are raped.

So are you saying that if a woman slaps a man, it's ok for the man to swing back?

People who were abused often seek out abusive situations and relationships, re-creating what they know, over and over. This can entail hitting and getting hit, or both. If you look at what supposedly happened between those two, it is so textbook, it should be easily treatable. :lol:

Physically, you could be right.

None of us really know the circumstances of their relationship though. If you actually do more than casually glance at domestic violence, there's a who lot more to it than hitting; which, is usually the culminating event, and does not address the nature of the relationship nor the circumstances that led to the physical violence.

I see some of your comments as snap judgments based on stereotyping abusive relationships as men are always at fault because generally, they are bigger.

I'm not condoning his actions by any means, but I have been in the situation where my ex would purposefully push all the wrong buttons trying to get me to hit her.

I don't recall the exact study, but I read one that makes a simple yet obvious, but mostly overlooked point: Emotional/psychological abuse is every bit as much damaging as physical abuse with one major difference: people heal from physical abuse. They never heal from emotional abuse unless they actually recognize it and do something about it.

Sure the physical abuse should be addressed. It's wrong. If they intend to continue their relationship, they have to address the causes, and I'll bet you'd find in most cases, the guilt evens out a LOT in that aspect.

A woman I know is a therapist who specializes in abusive relationships. She says that women tend to be more abusive because of the psychological abuse they mete out, and that physical abuse of males by their female partners is far more widespread than generally believed given that it is underreported.

I once dated a girl that was psychological abusive. She would make these backhanded comments and insults that would leave me stunned when it happened. After a few months, I just stopped calling her.

That's not to excuse what this guy did, though. I have no idea who he is BTW.

As Chris Brown negotiates a plea deal, the R&B singer is making it known Rihanna struck him first that infamous night in Los Angeles. Why does he think it matters?

Because he's negotiating a plea deal, according to TMZ, and has been charged with two felonies for allegedly beating his girlfriend Rihanna. If she hit him first, his lawyers believe, it's not a felony:

Sources say Rihanna was the first one to strike — slapping and striking Brown "numerous times" while he was driving, after seeing the text message from another woman.

Supposedly, this version of events is reflected in the official police report. Floating the story publicly fits perfectly into Brown's dual PR strategy of appearing remorseful even while shifting some blame for the beating to Rihanna.

Report: Rihanna Hit First, So Chris Brown Wants A Misdemeanor
-----

Doesn't make what he did right. Besides, there is a huge difference between him hitting her to make her stop and him beating the crap out of her (devils horns, etc).

One of my father's ex-girlfriends tried to cut his ear off with the sharp edge of a tin can. He lied and said he fell, then later, when he was made at her, told me what really happen. 20 yrs later, she's still stalking him. :cuckoo:

Hopefully she doesn't read this.

Last edited:
The way he beat her, pushing her face into the car, punching her.. that was in no way her fault.

Although she is nutz going back with him. He will do it again.

Forum List

Back