Manufacturing Jobs Readily Available With No Skilled Workers to Fill Positions

Jackson

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2010
Nashville
On The Job Hunt: Manufacturing Jobs Readily Available With No Skilled Workers to Fill Positions

Anyone who tells you the jobs just aren’t out there, has not spoken with the employers at Excel Foundry and machine in Pekin, Illinois. That company is trying to expand but is having difficulty.

Excel says the reason for this is because recruiters cannot fill the job vacancies. Yes, you read that right, they can not fill the vacancies.

“We’re absolutely frustrated, we’re doing everything we can to attract employees we desperately need right now,” says Doug Parsons with Excel.

The catch is that Excel, like many U.S. manufacturers, is looking to hire skilled workers. That means tradesmen with training like welders, pipe fitters and machinists. That is where the problem lies.

For most Americans while in their high school years, the pressure was on to go to college and get a degree. Trade schools were looked at as a back up plan for those who did not excel.

Larry Sarff with Morton Industries says, “One of the problems in finding people is the perception that manufacturing is a dying art and that jobs are not going to be there because they're being sent overseas.”
Read more: On The Job Hunt: Manufacturing Jobs Readily Available With No Skilled Workers To Fill Positions | Fox News

Another major diufficulty facing manufacturers is simply location- the labor pool is simply located elsewhere and many are not in a position to relocate because their homes will not sell in this market... throw in all the social ramifications of pulling up roots (leaving friends, family and a local culture with which they're accustomed and comfortable) and many opt instead to stay put. For the unemployed, the relocation option is even more unattractive because employers generally have a strong bias towards hiring prospects who are currently working.

If I needed a job that badly, I'd sleep in my car.

Some manufacturing jobs are difficult..

I used to work in a metal shop as a brake press and shear operator... Forming a piece of metal to specs is difficult - but you eventually get comfortable with it and learn the trade.

I will say it certainly takes intelligence and knowledge of tools..

I had fun doing it... Not to mention throwing steel around gets you buffed up :lol:

Forum List

Back