Man's Organ Donation Rejected Because He Was Gay

Discussion in 'Health and Lifestyle' started by GotZoom, Nov 30, 2005.

1. GotZoom

GotZoom Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +366
    I agree.

----

Albert Soto, a Tucson actor and community activist who died Saturday, intended to donate his eyes and tissue after death, but both were rejected because he was gay.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has established guidelines allowing centers to reject donations from men who have had sex with men within the past five years, said Sara Pace Jones, a spokeswoman with the Donor Network of Arizona.

Soto, an administrator with the Tucson Pima Arts Council, died after suffering a stroke on Thanksgiving Day. Though Soto, 51, intended to be an organ donor, the organ recovery network rejected his donations.

The decision has outraged Soto’s family members. They are trying to rally the support of local elected officials to have the guidelines changed.

“It’s an odd thing to have to deal with,” said Anthony Bernal, 32, Soto’s godson and nephew.

“You’re trying to mourn, but you’re getting caught up in the trampoline of ups and downs of politics,” Bernal said.

Bernal said Soto is being robbed of his last wish.

Rejecting organ donations called discrimination

“It’s unfortunate that it hinges on that issue,” he said.

In addition to his eyes and tissue, Soto’s other organs were rejected, but the reason is not clear.

Patient confidentiality bars the network from discussing specific cases, but Pace Jones said fewer than 1 percent of deaths result in suitable organ donations. In some cases, the cause of death can affect whether donations will be accepted.

Pace Jones urged others not to avoid signing the Arizona Donor Registry, a database of people who have agreed to be donors.

“There’s definitely a shortage of organ donors, so we need everyone to sign up,” Pace Jones said.

More than 44,000 people have signed, she added.

“Don’t rule yourself out medically,” she said. “You may be ruled out for tissue, but you may be able to donate organs for the purpose of transplantation.”

http://www.tucsoncitizen.com/news/local/112905a1_albertsoto

2. JOKER96BRAVO

JOKER96BRAVO Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +285
    Wheew it said eyes....

I was getting a little worried there.
    IT JUST SAID ORGAN IN THE TITLE!

But yes, I agree too.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  3. The ClayTaurus

The ClayTaurus Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +333
    It would be nice if there was some way the organs could be used though... maybe if you couldn't get something off the good organ list, you could take a risk and look for something on the risky list...

4. GotZoom

GotZoom Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +366
    I can see it now....Two organ donor lists. The first for "Non-Risk" donors and the second for "Risk" donors.

5. MissileMan

MissileMan Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +223
    Gives a whole new meaning to "Queer eye for the straight guy"... :laugh:

But seriously, don't they screen for HIV before using donated organs/tissues?

• Thank You! Thank You! x 6
  6. The ClayTaurus

The ClayTaurus Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +333
    I dunno, if I was in trouble and I needed a transplant and nothing was available, I'd like organs from people who may have the potential for complications to be available... maybe list the details of why they were placed on the risk list so you can make an educated decision as to whether or not it's worth it... I'm sure there are good organs that get thrown away.

Wishful thinking, I know.

7. Mr. P

Mr. P Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +618
    This is a tough one.

First, there must be high standards, and they must be set by the medical experts, not “the local elected officials” the family is appealing to for change.

I can see Zoomers point, “Two organ donor lists. The first for "Non-Risk" donors and the second for "Risk" donors.”, this could develop into those that have insurance vs. those who don’t. It’s possible.

On the other hand if you have a risky donor match, and a patient will die in hours without a transplant, what do you have to lose? I think the option should be available as Clay suggests.

As far as testing for HIV, they do it for blood, I’m sure they do it for organs too.

I’ll guess that since HIV may be missed at certain stages, this is a liability issue, more than a medical one. If that’s the case, give the recipient a choice.

8. dmp

dmp Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +741
    Last I checked no organization is FORCED to accept a donation...Likewise, nowhere are people guaranteed their final wishes will be kept - simply because they are dead now.

9. rtwngAvngr

rtwngAvngr Guest

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +511
    Best line of the century award goes to......

Good one, man. I MAY have to rep you.

10. KarlMarx

KarlMarx Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +490
    Sorry for the family, but public health comes first.....

The last time I donated blood (which has been a while), the guidelines were similar and even stricter. If you were a man who had sex with another man even once since 1977, you were automatically rejected.