Man's house is raided after making parody Twitter account joking about Mayor.

iamwhatiseem

Diamond Member
Aug 19, 2010
On a hill
You can't make this shit up.....

An Illinois city agreed Wednesday to pay $125,000 to settle a lawsuit filed by a man whose home was raided by police over a Twitter account he created depicting the city's mayor as a fan of drugs and alcohol.

The deal calls for the city of Peoria to send its police department a directive emphasizing that parody doesn’t fall under an Illinois statute of regulating false personation of a public official, which was used to obtain warrants to arrest Jon Daniel. The deal does not include an admission of wrongdoing by the city.

Illinois city agrees to pay $125G to settle lawsuit over parody Twitter account

You can't make this shit up.....

An Illinois city agreed Wednesday to pay $125,000 to settle a lawsuit filed by a man whose home was raided by police over a Twitter account he created depicting the city's mayor as a fan of drugs and alcohol.

The deal calls for the city of Peoria to send its police department a directive emphasizing that parody doesn’t fall under an Illinois statute of regulating false personation of a public official, which was used to obtain warrants to arrest Jon Daniel. The deal does not include an admission of wrongdoing by the city.

Illinois city agrees to pay $125G to settle lawsuit over parody Twitter account

Progressive is a synonym for Fascist

Sounds like a slick way to make 125 G's. I wonder if it was tax free and did the city have to pay lawyers and court costs?

??
Uh...no. There must be 100,000 parody Twitter accounts and social media parodies out there.
A person shouldn't expect that the gestapo would raid your home for making jokes about politicians.

Sounds like a slick way to make 125 G's. I wonder if it was tax free and did the city have to pay lawyers and court costs?

??
Uh...no. There must be 100,000 parody Twitter accounts and social media parodies out there.
A person shouldn't expect that the gestapo would raid your home for making jokes about politicians.

How many parody twitter accounts that depicted the city of Peioria? as drug alcohol supporters? It isn't possible that the owner of the twitter account couldn't have done his/her homework and provoked the right township to cash in on their probable reaction?

I'm curious how much actual physical damage was done in the arrest? How long was the person in jail? OR was the 125 G's just punitive?

??

How many parody twitter accounts that depicted the city of Peioria? as drug alcohol supporters? It isn't possible that the owner of the twitter account couldn't have done his/her homework and provoked the right township to cash in on their probable reaction?

I'm curious how much actual physical damage was done in the arrest? How long was the person in jail? OR was the 125 G's just punitive?

It should be punitive. Hell like the city's own lawyer said, $125,000 is getting off easy.
Damn man...you want to live in a country where making jokes about elected officials gets you arrested and your property seized? Who gives a shit about the $125k?

??

It should be punitive. Hell like the city's own lawyer said, $125,000 is getting off easy.
Damn man...you want to live in a country where making jokes about elected officials gets you arrested and your property seized? Who gives a shit about the $125k?

I didn't know the man's property was seized. That makes quite a difference. Where did the city find a judge to sign off on the warrant? THAT seems to be where the system broke down. The local DA now has this to wear around his/her neck when the next election rolls around. I agree that the 125 K is too low but how much is possible?

Forum List

Back