Man's best friend.

Our distant ancestors definitely did us a HUGE serves by domesticating dogs.

Mountain lion mauls dog that defended owners

As they say good dog.
My wife has a shitsu and when a pit bull was nearing my wife one day the shitsu believe it or not attacked the pit bull lucky for my wifes shitsu the pit ran away. If I didn't see it I would not have believed it,the loyalty of some dogs is amazing.

o small dog fight hard...not the size of the dog...the size of the fight in the dog...

when my son was around 3....he disappeared....my husband thought he was upstairs with me...i tought he was downstairs with my husband...when we discovered he was gone....we didnt panic till we had searched 200 hundred or so yards in all directions...when husband said....i am going to walk down the creek....i totally lost it...and then a pick up truck drives up and says...yall missing a little boy....
they told us that our son was walking up the road with our doberman....they of course realized that the child was too young to be out alone and got out of their truck to get the boy....bad move...said zack our doberman at that time..put them back in the truck and would stand between my son and any car that went by...basically nosing my son off the road to the edge....they attempted to leave one of them at the same place to watch son...dog would have none of that either...said he was keeping a large circle clear around the boy...my husband got in truck with them and went to where the dog and son was...only then did the dog let anyone touch my son....zack was not an agressive dog..but he was my son's protector....he was a great dog...

They're the greatest. It pisses me off when we get reports of attacks by "aggressive" dogs. The owners are so arrogant, it's obvious that they are the ones that should be put down.
There are no bad dogs, only bad owners.

They're the greatest. It pisses me off when we get reports of attacks by "aggressive" dogs. The owners are so arrogant, it's obvious that they are the ones that should be put down.

Green rep for the truth. My pitbull mix has a HUGE crush on my neighbor's 4 year old girl. He kisses her, put his head under her hand so she can pet him, rolls over on his back for her... he is SO gentle with her. And I'm talking about a dog who is VERY rough and tumble. He and I have wrestled and rough housed for years and I have the scars to prove it.

I've met the sweetest, most playful pitbulls and extremely aggressive, ready to attack anything pitbulls and the case 10 out of 10 times is ALWAYS the owner.

Have always had dogs. Always will. When the chips are down, I really only trust my dog. And that is how I treat them and speak to them.

o small dog fight hard...not the size of the dog...the size of the fight in the dog...

when my son was around 3....he disappeared....my husband thought he was upstairs with me...i tought he was downstairs with my husband...when we discovered he was gone....we didnt panic till we had searched 200 hundred or so yards in all directions...when husband said....i am going to walk down the creek....i totally lost it...and then a pick up truck drives up and says...yall missing a little boy....
they told us that our son was walking up the road with our doberman....they of course realized that the child was too young to be out alone and got out of their truck to get the boy....bad move...said zack our doberman at that time..put them back in the truck and would stand between my son and any car that went by...basically nosing my son off the road to the edge....they attempted to leave one of them at the same place to watch son...dog would have none of that either...said he was keeping a large circle clear around the boy...my husband got in truck with them and went to where the dog and son was...only then did the dog let anyone touch my son....zack was not an agressive dog..but he was my son's protector....he was a great dog...

great story!

We adopted both of the dogs that we have from shelters. We just got a new one a month ago and he's six years old, part lab/part border collie, and it's amazing how quickly he's bonded to us. There are some great dogs out there at the shelters, so if you ever think of getting one, check out your local shelter first. There are a lot of great dogs that need a good home.

Doberman is an amazing breed of dog.

Incredibly bright, and very protective of family, but in a cool, controlled way.

I buried my last Dobie a few years back.

Cried like a baby and dug a hole six feet deep without even realizing it. Just starting digging and digging.

God I miss that dog...

While most dogs are great animals, and the ones that are too aggressive are usually that way due to their owners, there are some dogs that are very dangerous. I'm not talking about any specific breed; there just are bad apples out there, and if you own one, you need to make certain it is kept in a restricted environment. Just like some people are crazy, some dogs are mental also. So there are some bad dogs out there, but I would agree that their numbers are much fewer than bad people.

My brother never taught his dog to be aggressive, after she was attacked from behind by another dog she started to hate other animals. When she killed a cat this weekend he put her down, it was kind of the last straw for her. She was a nice dog but could not be trusted.
And if that moutain lion had gone after my brother Marley would have killed the lion, probably fighting to her death.

Last edited:
We adopted both of the dogs that we have from shelters. We just got a new one a month ago and he's six years old, part lab/part border collie, and it's amazing how quickly he's bonded to us. There are some great dogs out there at the shelters, so if you ever think of getting one, check out your local shelter first. There are a lot of great dogs that need a good home.

Besides the shelters, there are many groups throughout the country that foster dogs until they can be adopted. Shelters require large amounts of funding and can only keep dogs so long. Many of these other groups will take dogs out of shelters, especially shelters that are foced to euthanize the dogs after a certain period of time. Usually they will only take the puppies though, as it is much easier to adopt out a puppy than it is an older dog.

These groups and the shelters almost always require a donation, but the dogs are usually spayed/neutered and have all of their shots. Usually the donation is between $125 and $200 which is still a bargain compared to taking a dog to the vet yourself.

The most important thing is to make certain your pet is spayed/neutered. Because dogs and cats can give birth so frequently and from such a young age, and the fact that they have litters of five or more most of the time, two dogs or cats that are not fixed, can lead to over 60,000 offspring within six years for dogs, and over 80,000 offspring in within seven years for cats. Those numbers truly are staggering. Last of all, in the US alone, between 6 to 8 million cats and dogs are euthanized every year.

Spay & Neuter :: Kitten Rescue

Besides the shelters, there are many groups throughout the country that foster dogs until they can be adopted. Shelters require large amounts of funding and can only keep dogs so long. Many of these other groups will take dogs out of shelters, especially shelters that are foced to euthanize the dogs after a certain period of time. Usually they will only take the puppies though, as it is much easier to adopt out a puppy than it is an older dog.

These groups and the shelters almost always require a donation, but the dogs are usually spayed/neutered and have all of their shots. Usually the donation is between $125 and $200 which is still a bargain compared to taking a dog to the vet yourself.

The most important thing is to make certain your pet is spayed/neutered. Because dogs and cats can give birth so frequently and from such a young age, and the fact that they have litters of five or more most of the time, two dogs or cats that are not fixed, can lead to over 60,000 offspring within six years for dogs, and over 80,000 offspring in within seven years for cats. Those numbers truly are staggering. Last of all, in the US alone, between 6 to 8 million cats and dogs are euthanized every year.

Spay & Neuter*::*Kitten Rescue
I didn't know Bob Barker was on here? just kidding
You are very right!
My dog was never fixed due to a heart problem but we never let her around other male dogs while in heat. My dog was also only suppose to live until she was five or six also, she is now twelve going on thirteen.

Glad to see there are so many people on here who are actively aware of animal rights and the processes to adopt a new one. One thing we absolutely MUST do is shut down pet stores that sell dogs. These pet stores get their puppies from puppy mills where the mothers are overbred to produce puppies and kept in deplorable conditions.

Spay & Neuter*::*Kitten Rescue

That's why we adopted older dogs both times. Most people do want the younger dogs or the puppies. The one that we just adopted seemed to just come alive right before our eyes tho, so it's a very rewarding experience. We got him home and he turned from being scared and lifeless into an almost puppy like state. He loves to run and fetch balls and play with the kids, so even the older dogs still have a lot of life and love to give.

Forum List

Back