Manning's a Bronco?...

some early rumors had him thinking of the Niners while Smith was out shopping. My wife was ecstatic but, Smith really showed me something last year and, I am not sure Peyton has much left in the tank, I never believed like george allen used to say the future is now, so I think smith should stay, but hes not a deep bal man and Moss, I don't know why they picked him up...but hopefully he'll keep his mouth shut.

I don't remember the broncos having a team that was a QB away from greatness, so I don't know what they are thinking.

And got crushed by new England. That game will be much more competitive.

Maybe...

Manning had a great team around him... There isn't a great team in Denver.

Maybe there will be, but he has to stay Healthy on top of that.

:)

peace...

"Manning had a great team around him":lol::lol::lol::lol:
They were the worst team in football without him.
Denver has one of the best defenses in the league and an awesome OL.

Please, please stick to your day job. You have NO clue about this game.

uhm...what?:eusa_eh:

PTS
(24th)
YDS
(20th)
PASS YDS
(18th)
RUSH YDS
(22nd)

http://www.nfl.com/teams/statistics?team=DEN

Manning threw the tree routes both sides of the field to perfection in all of his workouts.
NO ONE would sign him to a 1 year contract if he did not have it still.
They said the same thing when Favre went to the Vikings in that deal. He threw 33 TDs for 4200 yards.
These folks know what they are doing.
However, I agree that the length of the contract is 2 years too long, top heavy with an out after 3 for the Broncos but that is the nature of the game now. I was surprised as I heard that it would be 3 years for $50 million with a 4th year option at 20 million with a buy out of 8 million.
I like the Tebow kid but this is no surprise. He is a mediocre QB at best. He will make a decent backup for a few years and be out of the league.

Maybe...

Manning had a great team around him... There isn't a great team in Denver.

Maybe there will be, but he has to stay Healthy on top of that.

:)

peace...

"Manning had a great team around him":lol::lol::lol::lol:
They were the worst team in football without him.
Denver has one of the best defenses in the league and an awesome OL.

Please, please stick to your day job. You have NO clue about this game.

uhm...what?:eusa_eh:

PTS
(24th)
YDS
(20th)
PASS YDS
(18th)
RUSH YDS
(22nd)

Denver Broncos Stats at NFL.com

AFC West is the modern day black and blue division. Denver kicked for field position more than any other team in the league last year. You always give up yards that way as you are going for field position. Take away the blow outs as the scheme was changed last year and you have an excellent nucleus of a defense.
That is why Manning came there and also the OL. NO QB goes to a team with a weak OL especially after an injury.
Fox was hired to build THE DEFENSE.

For those that know a little football here every team the Broncos played stacked 7 and 8 guys in the box on almost every play. Hence the rushing stats.
Hint: the good QBs NEVER see a stacked box with 7 and 8 defenders stacking.
GUESS WHY.
But they did lose Dennis Allen, the mastermind mad scientist of that D behind Fox who is in Oakland now. And Denver has a tough schedule next year. And the Saints are trying to sign one of the key pieces of their D, Broderick Bunkley. But Bx2 wants a boat load of cash and I see him possibly staying with Denver. LB Joe Mays resigned with Denver.
Denver 9th in league in sacks and 7th in holding offenses on 3rd down conversions. IOW, they get their D off the field.
Denver has a good OL and good young defenders but they do have some age on that side of the ball. Von Miller was a great pick for them last year.
Tough division next year.

Maybe I'm beating a dead horse/bronco/colt here, but it must be crystal clear to everyone that Manning will not take the Broncos to a Superbowl. We've seen this movie before. We know how it ends. Manning has about 2 years to do something great and it just isn't going to be enough time to make the team his own.

There are only 2 great quarterbacks who ever had a second act and one of them was just because of dumb luck.

The other, John Elway, had a second career but with the same team.

This is the end for Peyton and in the final analysis it was a disappointing career. He won the only illegitimate Superbowl ever. He didn't have a perfect season because he didn't try. Peyton, in many ways, underachieved and for the rest of his life he's going to have to sit across the table at Thanksgiving and look at a guy who overachieved and had the better career while his dad looks on....

Disappointing career? Illegitimate Super Bowl? Manning didn't try and that's why he didn't have a perfect season?

Some bold foolishness there. :lol:

1 Superbowl. Only 1. And if it hadn't rained I'm not so sure he would have had that one. 14-0 and he lets his coach take him out in a close game in the 3rd quarter. That's not the way a champion thinks.

Manning will be considered in the same class as Marino or Tarkenton. Great? Yes. The Greatest?

His name won't even come up.

Disappointing career? Illegitimate Super Bowl? Manning didn't try and that's why he didn't have a perfect season?

1 Superbowl. Only 1. And if it hadn't rained I'm not so sure he would have had that one. 14-0 and he lets his coach take him out in a close game in the 3rd quarter. That's not the way a champion thinks.

Manning will be considered in the same class as Marino or Tarkenton. Great? Yes. The Greatest?

Super bowl wins aren't everything. The coach is the one who decides if a player plays, that player doesn't get to choose to go in if the coach doesn't want him to.

Marino's name often comes up in discussion of who is the greatest. Manning's will as well. Eli's career (barring a lot more success in coming years) will almost never be considered as good as Peyton's, despite another SB win.

And if championships are the only measure of who is the greatest, then Otto Graham is far and away the best to ever play. No one else comes close.

Also, you didn't explain why his Super Bowl victory is 'illegitimate'. Are you saying if it rains during the SB, it doesn't count? :lol:

Maybe I'm beating a dead horse/bronco/colt here, but it must be crystal clear to everyone that Manning will not take the Broncos to a Superbowl. We've seen this movie before. We know how it ends. Manning has about 2 years to do something great and it just isn't going to be enough time to make the team his own.

There are only 2 great quarterbacks who ever had a second act and one of them was just because of dumb luck.

This is the end for Peyton and in the final analysis it was a disappointing career. He won the only illegitimate Superbowl ever. He didn't have a perfect season because he didn't try. Peyton, in many ways, underachieved and for the rest of his life he's going to have to sit across the table at Thanksgiving and look at a guy who overachieved and had the better career while his dad looks on....

A disappointing career?
Weak running game and suspect defense and his stats are:
54K yards, 399 TD passes, 46 game winning drives and you call that a "disappointing career"
4th in career wins, 2 time NFL MVP, 3rd all time passing leader, # TWO ALL TIME GAME WINNING DRIVES, #3 in passes completed, #2 IN PASSING YARDS PER GAME, TIED FOR #1 IN COMEBACKS IN NFL HISTORY.
And you state he had a "disappointing career".

You have never, ever crossed the lines and played a damn down. You have NO clue.
Manning is one of the top 3 QBs of all time.
For those of us in the know that have crossed the lines.

I wouldn't consider him to be one of the top 3 QBs of his own time.

After all, there are 3 active Superbowl-contending starting QBs in the league right now who all have more superbowl victories than P. Manning does. All of them are younger than him. 1 of them is defintiely a "greater" quarterback than P. Manning and the another I would say is every bit as good. The only one of the 3 who isn't "as great" is his own brother, the overachiever.

There are another couple of QBs who each have one ring. I wouldn't be surprised to see either of them get a second next year, would you?

I also wouldn't be suprised to see some up-and-comer like Flacco or Stafford nab a ring next year.

I know that nobody cares about Superbowl victories and people don't even consider them when they're gauging how great a QBs career was, but I do believe that you'll see Peyton finish with a 1-1 Superbowl record. And he's lucky to have that, because I think Chicago had a better team that year. Not the we'll ever really know since it was raining sheets.

A disappointing career?
54K yards, 399 TD passes, 46 game winning drives and you call that a "disappointing career"
4th in career wins, 2 time NFL MVP, 3rd all time passing leader, # TWO ALL TIME GAME WINNING DRIVES, #3 in passes completed, #2 IN PASSING YARDS PER GAME, TIED FOR #1 IN COMEBACKS IN NFL HISTORY.

You have never, ever crossed the lines and played a damn down. You have NO clue.

I would go along with Peyton being an underachiever. Year in, year out the Colts had one of the best teams in the NFL. They routinely ran off 13,14 and even 15 win seasons. Yet, in 14 seasons, Peyton managed one championship

Peyton still lacks that signature game......the one victory where he carried his to victory in a big game

Brady has it, Roethlesberger has it.......Eli has two

Manning is one of the best who ever lived for those who quarterbacked a modern system. To say championships equal skill is full of it.

For example, Tony Romo is statistically better than Aikman. (for the record I don't like either much)

So before we lump Manning in with Bernie Kosar, Jim Kelly, Dan Marino, Warren Moon, Dan Fouts and Archie Manning as skilled but not really that great, we need to remember how awesome those quarterbacks were WITHOUT a championship win. Would you rate Terry Bradshaw, Doug Williams, Joe Namath, Phil Simms, Joe Theismann or Trent Dilfer over them because they have a Superbowl ring or three?

So the question is... what DOES make a great quarterback? Stats? Championships? PR?

A disappointing career?

I would go along with Peyton being an underachiever. Year in, year out the Colts had one of the best teams in the NFL. They routinely ran off 13,14 and even 15 win seasons. Yet, in 14 seasons, Peyton managed one championship

Peyton still lacks that signature game......the one victory where he carried his to victory in a big game

So his Super Bowl win wasn't a big game? How do you explain the collapse of the Colts with Manning missing?

Manning is one of the best who ever lived for those who quarterbacked a modern system. To say championships equal skill is full of it.

For example, Tony Romo is statistically better than Aikman. (for the record I don't like either much)

So before we lump Manning in with Bernie Kosar, Jim Kelly, Dan Marino, Warren Moon, Dan Fouts and Archie Manning as skilled but not really that great, we need to remember how awesome those quarterbacks were WITHOUT a championship win. Would you rate Terry Bradshaw, Doug Williams, Joe Namath, Phil Simms, Joe Theismann or Trent Dilfer over them because they have a Superbowl ring or three?

So the question is... what DOES make a great quarterback? Stats? Championships? PR?

Terry Bradshaw over Bernie Kosar? Yes. Phil Samms over Archie Manning? Yes. Joe Namath over Jim Kelly? Yes.

All of them over Warren Moon? Honestly? Yes... but then again, I remember watching Warren Moon play.

I'll help you with this.

Good Stats are important. Couple them with the ability to win the big game consistently especially by making clutch plays and you have yourself a great quarterback.

P. Manning is more of a "good" quarterback. He practiced, he's competent. Warren Moon-like he'll always have a statistically fine season. When his team loses in the playoffs you'll never think it was Peyton's fault.... but his team will lose all the same.

A disappointing career?

So his Super Bowl win wasn't a big game? How do you explain the collapse of the Colts with Manning missing?

I said signature game.......it's been five years, how much do you remember about how Manning performed?

By signature game, I mean...

Johnny Unitas beating the Giants in overtime
Bart Starr in the Ice Bowl
Joe Namath guaranteeing a win over the Colts
Joe Montana and "The Catch"
Eli beating an Undefeated Patriots with an 83 yd drive

Twenty years from now, which Peyton Manning win will you be talking about?

I said signature game.......it's been five years, how much do you remember about how Manning performed?

By signature game, I mean...

Johnny Unitas beating the Giants in overtime
Bart Starr in the Ice Bowl
Joe Namath guaranteeing a win over the Colts
Joe Montana and "The Catch"
Eli beating an Undefeated Patriots with an 83 yd drive

Twenty years from now, which Peyton Manning win will you be talking about?

I'll be talking about a QB making below average team into Super Bowl winners. Just as one game doesn't make a quality QB.

If you want a signature game, AFC Championship game the Pats led 21-3, Manning rallied the Colts to the biggest comeback in a conference championship game. Then the Colts went on to win a Super Bowl.

Tebow beat the Steelers in overtime, it will long be remembered, so I guess it's a signature win, I still don't think of Tebow as a great QB.

I wouldn't consider him to be one of the top 3 QBs of his own time.

After all, there are 3 active Superbowl-contending starting QBs in the league right now who all have more superbowl victories than P. Manning does. All of them are younger than him. 1 of them is defintiely a "greater" quarterback than P. Manning and the another I would say is every bit as good. The only one of the 3 who isn't "as great" is his own brother, the overachiever.

There are another couple of QBs who each have one ring. I wouldn't be surprised to see either of them get a second next year, would you?

I also wouldn't be suprised to see some up-and-comer like Flacco or Stafford nab a ring next year.

I know that nobody cares about Superbowl victories and people don't even consider them when they're gauging how great a QBs career was, but I do believe that you'll see Peyton finish with a 1-1 Superbowl record. And he's lucky to have that, because I think Chicago had a better team that year. Not the we'll ever really know since it was raining sheets.

Chicago had the better team, yet the Colts and Manning found a way to win, seems like a credit to Manning.

Did it only rain on one team? Seems to me champions wouldn't make stupid excuses like rain being the determining factor.

Forum List

Back