Mann and Ornstein: Let’s just say it - The Republicans ARE the problem

Discussion in 'Media' started by rdean, May 3, 2012.

1. rdean

rdean rddean

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,009
    We have been studying Washington politics and Congress for more than 40 years, and never have we seen them this dysfunctional. In our past writings, we have criticized both parties when we believed it was warranted. Today, however, we have no choice but to acknowledge that the core of the problem lies with the Republican Party.

The GOP has become an insurgent outlier in American politics. It is ideologically extreme; scornful of compromise; unmoved by conventional understanding of facts, evidence and science; and dismissive of the legitimacy of its political opposition.

Of course, there were larger forces at work beyond the realignment of the South. They included the mobilization of social conservatives after the 1973Roe v. Wade decision, the anti-tax movement launched in 1978 by California’s Proposition 13, the rise of conservative talk radio after a congressional pay raise in 1989, and the emergence of Fox News and right-wing blogs. But the real move to the bedrock right starts with two names: Newt Gingrich and Grover Norquist.

Norquist, meanwhile, founded Americans for Tax Reform in 1985 and rolled out his Taxpayer Protection Pledge the following year. The pledge, which binds its signers to never support a tax increase (that includes closing tax loopholes), had been signed as of last year by 238 of the 242 House Republicans and 41 of the 47 GOP senators, according to ATR. The Norquist tax pledge has led to other pledges, on issues such as climate change, that create additional litmus tests that box in moderates and make cross-party coalitions nearly impossible. For Republicans concerned about a primary challenge from the right, the failure to sign such pledges is simply too risky.

Let’s just say it: The Republicans are the problem. - The Washington Post

It's nice to see what we've all been talking about put into words in such a descriptive and logical manner.

Pledging to Norquist over the constitution. What a shame.

2. rdean

rdean rddean

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,009
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Former senator Chuck Hagel of Nebraskacalled his party “irresponsible”

And Mike Lofgren, a veteran Republican congressional staffer, wrote an anguished diatribe last year about why he was ending his career on the Hill after nearly three decades. “The Republican Party is becoming less and less like a traditional political party in a representative democracy and becoming more like an apocalyptic cult, or one of the intensely ideological authoritarian parties of 20th century Europe,” he wrote on the Truthout Web site.

3. Stephanie

Stephanie Diamond Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +27,360
    stopped reading right there..but right up Rdeans alley
    and who the hell is Mann and Orenstein?

Last edited: May 3, 2012
  4. hjmick

hjmick Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,122
    Mann and Ornstein's neutral bonfides? I mean, they are completely unbiased, right?

Let's be real, Dean, just once...

Both parties are the problem.

5. rdean

rdean rddean

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,009
    Don't you ever bother to look anything up on your own? Do you always have to be spoon fed? When I respond to Republican's links, I go read them. I check out their facts. That's how I'm able to come up with "real facts". In fact, many times I have to correct Republicans on this very site. They post a link and then imagine what it says. I'm always asking if they read their own link. Seems like most of the time they haven't bothered. They just go by the title.

6. rdean

rdean rddean

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,009
    Obviously you didn't read the article. Why comment on something you don't bother reading?

7. hortysir

hortysir In Memorial of 47

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,296
    I stopped reading because it was obviously not his writing!
    :lol:

8. hjmick

hjmick Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,122
    I read the article.

9. Stephanie

Stephanie Diamond Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +27,360
    I said I stopped reading from what you posted so why would I go to the link to read the rest of the crap?
    and there are many links I won't bother with, hufferpost, thinkprogess, mediamatters, and a few others..I don't want my computer to be infected with cooties

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  10. whitehall

whitehall Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,834
    Will they ever stop whining? Ignorance and left wing hatred is the problem. How in the freaking world can republicans be the problem when democrats controlled both houses of congress for four years and had a ultra left wing president to sign any junk they put in front of him for the last two years? If you believe leftie hysteria you would think republicans ran the government when in fact they only have a majority in 1/3 of it. For the sake of your mental health lefties stop the whining. You are getting scary.