Manger scenes for US Governors

According to that line of reasoning, the tree is not a Christian symbol at all.

So I guess in this case they got screwed.

Which is my point all along, thanks for agreeing with me. :thup:

EXACTLY!!!

When displayed by the govt, a xmas tree is NOT, in any way, a symbol of christianity or any other religion; It's a SECULAR symbol for xmas.

And when it comes to the govt establishment of religion, Christians are SUPPOSED to get screwed. So are muslims, jews, hindus. ertc

Yes, but in the case in question only the Christians got screwed.

Nope

Jews do not get to display their God. Muslims do not get to display their God. Nobody does.

But keep pretending the others are getting something Christians are not. And don't bother ever explaining exactly what the Jews and the Muslims are getting that the christians are not. It's not like we expect you to back up what you say with some specifics.

EXACTLY!!!

When displayed by the govt, a xmas tree is NOT, in any way, a symbol of christianity or any other religion; It's a SECULAR symbol for xmas.

And when it comes to the govt establishment of religion, Christians are SUPPOSED to get screwed. So are muslims, jews, hindus. ertc

Nope

Jews do not get to display their God. Muslims do not get to display their God. Nobody does.

But keep pretending the others are getting something Christians are not. And don't bother ever explaining exactly what the Jews and the Muslims are getting that the christians are not. It's not like we expect you to back up what you say with some specifics.

Once again you demonstrate a shocking lack of comprehension skills.

Muslims get to display their crescent and star
Jews get to display their menorah

Christians don't get to display their nativity scene.

The "image of a god" argument is specious, arbitrary and misses the point.

Nope

And christians get to display their xmas tree!!!

And Jews don't get to show the 2nd Temple of Jerusalem
Muslims don't get to show Mohommed

I guess you're conveniently forgetting that, right or wrong, the Supreme Court has already ruled that nativity scenes do not violate the establishment clause EVEN THOUGH THEY DEPICT THE IMAGE OF THE BABY JESUS.

So again, in this case (that the USSC declined to hear) the "image of a god" argument is specious and arbitrary... and inconsistent with established precedent.

I guess you're conveniently forgetting that, right or wrong, the Supreme Court has already ruled that nativity scenes do not violate the establishment clause EVEN THOUGH THEY DEPICT THE IMAGE OF THE BABY JESUS.

So again, in this case (that the USSC declined to hear) the "image of a god" argument is specious and arbitrary... and inconsistent with established precedent.

Are you talking to yourself?

Are you talking to yourself?

I might as well be. ;)

Nope

:cuckoo: They get to display their Christmas tree. Each religion is allowed a symbol of some sort, none are allowed a depiction of a god.

Nope

:cuckoo: They get to display their Christmas tree. Each religion is allowed a symbol of some sort, none are allowed a depiction of a god.

Again, a specious and arbitrary litmus test inconsistent with established SC precedent.

Link? I would like to see how your "ruling" applies to this narrow instance where it was decided in a school that each major religion could pick a secular symbol but none could pick a religious one for the winter holidays.

In the case discussed in mal's thread the SC ruled that nativity scenes do not violate the establishment clause.

And in case you were not aware, nativity scenes depict the image of the baby Jesus. :eek:

In the case discussed in mal's thread the SC ruled that nativity scenes do not violate the establishment clause.

And in case you were not aware, nativity scenes depict the image of the baby Jesus. :eek:
I still say they got it wrong in that case. But if you want to believe that the baby Jesus is a secular icon I can't do anything about it.

I still say they got it wrong in that case. But if you want to believe that the baby Jesus is a secular icon I can't do anything about it.

Actually, I argued that it isn't. Just like a menorah isn't. Just like a Muslim crescent isn't.

But don't stop lying now on my account. :lol:

Allowing a menorah and a crescent but not a nativity scene is favoring some relgions over others.

You can keep telling yourself otherwise if you like. Afterall it is consistent with you confirmation bias. :thup:

Allowing a menorah and a crescent but not a nativity scene is favoring some relgions over others.

You can keep telling yourself otherwise if you like. Afterall it is consistent with you confirmation bias. :thup:

Allowing a xmas tree is fair to xtians. xtians whine and pout whenever they don't get their way

These things are equal (as to their religious significance)

A. God, Jesus, Mo.

B. Menorah, crescent, Christmas tree.

Though I still don't get the religious significance of a crescent.

Forum List

Back