Manefesto to my Kids

dmp

May 12, 2004
Enterprise, Alabama
I suspect this could be a topic for this forum, as it deals with issues of the heart;

I was thinking, "What do I want my kids to know", and came up with the following:

I'd tell my kids this: One day you'll have kids of your own, then you'll understand. Until then, you'll do what I ask you to do. You may question 'why' AFTER you complete what you are asked. Sometimes I'll not let you do something, or have something for NO reason. Yes, that's not fair. Life isn't fair. If you get used to hearing 'no' in the little things, the BIG things which don't go your way won't destroy you. Your friends are 'my business'. Where you are going is 'my business'. With whom you speak on the phone is 'my business'. It's my business to protect you from as many destructive influences as possible - even if that is protecting you from yourself at times. I am your father. I am not your friend. The age difference between us makes a friendship impossible. I am so much MORE than a friend. I am charged with doing what it takes to give you what you'll need in life, to survive and succeed. While you are young, especially while you are young, you will get a spanking for disobeying your mother or me. Your mother is more important to me than you are. She was here first, and she will be with me after you have left. Do not try to turn she and I against eachother. Do not disrespect your mother.
One day you'll understand - until then, Trust me. Nobody loves you as much as your mother and I love you.

Anyone have anything else to add/edit? I'm trying to make a complete 'policy statement' of sorts. :)

it is pretty good but I would keep it abstract and take out the phone
part and instead just explain why bad friends lead to trouble.

Maybe another thing to add would be the experience that makes your descisions more likely to be accurate.

I am not sure if I would include the "I will sometimes make mistakes part"
because it will happen and when kids get older that is used to justify
their rebellion.

nosarcasm said:
I am not sure if I would include the "I will sometimes make mistakes part" because it will happen and when kids get older that is used to justify their rebellion.

??? I don't have anything like that included. :)

-=d=- said:
I suspect this could be a topic for this forum, as it deals with issues of the heart;

I was thinking, "What do I want my kids to know", and came up with the following:

Anyone have anything else to add/edit? I'm trying to make a complete 'policy statement' of sorts. :)

To add to the 'I am not your friend, I am more than a friend' portion.

Always remember that I am on YOUR side, even if and when it appears that I am being unreasonable or acting against what you want.

Remember too, I remember these same feelings when I was your age and the advice I give is because I remember them and wish I had dealt with them the way I advise.

While we live in a country that is a Representative Democracy this house is not a Democracy and regardless of age if you life here you will follow our rules.

You will make mistakes, do not be ashamed to tell me of your mistakes, I am on your side and will help you in every way that I can.

Forum List

Back