Mandy (2018 Nicholas Cage film)

AsianTrumpSupporter

Platinum Member
Feb 26, 2017
Democratic People's Republique de Californie

This movie is getting a lot of hype as an indie grindhouse type of flick with Nicholas Cage returning to actual acting. However, it's also being described as the kind of movie that people either love or hate. I didn't love the movie, and I didn't hate the movie.

There are things about this film that I like a lot, but there are also things that I didn't care for. I didn't like the over-stylized look of the film. For example, there are a lot of scenes shot with red lighting or blue lighting that just add to the surreal nature of the scene. It can be neat to look at, but I found it unnecessary a lot of the time. There are times where it does look pretty amazing.

The plot is barely a plot at all. It's a basic revenge movie plot. What I did like about the film was the acting (moreso the other characters than Nicholas Cage, but Cage wasn't bad) and the music. This was reportedly the last movie scored by Jóhann Jóhannsson before he passed away earlier this year. There are times when I really liked the score and times when I thought it was just okay. But, for the most part, I think the score made the film better.

My overall rating of the film is 7/10.

If crazy revenge flicks starring crazy Nicholas Cage and Heavy Metal magazine are your thing, you can probably add 1-2 points. It's definitely a film I recommend watching, but it's not a film I'd have the urge to throw on and watch a lot except to maybe have it on in the background when friends are over.

Last edited:
It has good reviews, I have it on my list....but may never watch it. I don't know.
Nicholas Cage at one point was good, but something went wrong somewhere and he became a terrible actor...terrible. I just can't believe he has done something good again.

Forum List

Back