Mandatory Xolocaust Studies

Should Xolocaust Studies Be Mandatory?

• Total voters
Works like a charm ... well ... as long as you omit Cambodia, Rhodesia, Sudan ... to name a few.

I have no problem including all those examples. Indeed, it should be taught that the history of human atrocity doesn't end with jews in the holocaust.

Like how many texts back in the day included the American Indians side of the story.

Students need to learn about man's inhumanity to man, in all parts of the world.

I agree all day long. A great and terrible price was paid for this nation and it wasn't only a matter of the perspective of white people heading west.

I have no problem including all those examples. Indeed, it should be taught that the history of human atrocity doesn't end with jews in the holocaust.

Like how many texts back in the day included the American Indians side of the story.

Students need to learn about man's inhumanity to man, in all parts of the world.

I agree all day long. A great and terrible price was paid for this nation and it wasn't only a matter of the perspective of white people heading west.

What the students never learned is we had genocide in the good ole' USA too:

Native American Genocide Still Haunts U.S.

Genocide of Natives in the Western Hemisphere, starting 1492 CE

American Indian Holocaust - United Native America

We in Illinois are luckier than others.:cuckoo: We have Xolocdaust studies mandated by our state.:eusa_whistle:

Abstract
The state of Illinois was the first state to mandate the teaching of the Holocaust in 1990. This article reports the results of a study of Holocaust education practices at the high school level. At present, it represents the largest study of Holocaust education practices ever conducted in the United States.

The complete article can be found at:
The State of Holocaust Education in Illinois - by Jeffrey Ellison & John Pisapia

This thread is about as bullshit as Amiam so called hatred of all religion, while he focuses his hatred on only one (while also protecting to the end the worst one)!

I have grown up in Chicago. Started highschool in '92 and we never learned a lick about the Holocaust! It wasn't ever mentioned!

Here is more bullshit for you GHook.
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
August 5, 2005

Gov. Blagojevich signs law expanding genocide education in Illinois
Studies will now include recent atrocities in Armenia, Ukraine, Cambodia, Bosnia, Rwanda and Sudan.
For complete text please see:
Illinois.gov - Illinois Government News Network (IGNN) - Search the News Results

I guess you are knee deep in it.:eusa_whistle:

i think he/she/it SHOULD have been forced to learn about the holocaust.

maybe then he/she/it woiuldn't be such an ignorant twit.

Ignorant twit....I think not. Consider the following:
Wannsee Conference

The Wannsee Conference was a meeting of senior officials of the Nazi German regime, held in the Berlin suburb of Wannsee on 20 January 1942. The purpose of the conference was to inform administrative leaders of Departments responsible for various policies relating to Jews, that Reinhard Heydrich had been appointed as the chief executor of the "Final solution to the Jewish question".

For complete text see:
Wannsee Conference - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In history there is only Moses that I can compare with Hitler. I got a kick out of Freud's Moses and Monotheism. As he wrote across the Channel in England he was to miss this man who would command armies to their destruction. Freud thought Moses was an Egyptian general. My ass. He was a general just like Hitler. You guys gotta hit the books.:eusa_whistle:

It's funny how any thread which is anti-education seems to have been posted by someone with poor education.

I'd like to see more history taught at school, definitely.

Gosh, I did not know this thread is anti-educational. I thought it was anti-conditioning. Perhaps education and conditioning are synonyms in your book. Woof! Woof!:eusa_whistle:

Teaching of history offends you? Move to another planet :lol:

Gee, some how mandatory and teaching are the same in PP's world. The Greek word Xolocaust meant a burned offering and not "The mass murder of Jews under the German Nazi regime from 1941 until 1945"

The word "Xolocaust" was seized by the Zionists to propagate a guilt and foment support for the Zionist state AFTER their heroic victory in 1967. You see....Finklestein got it right!

Genocide was a word once used to describe this event. It is an event along with a long list of other events that fit this category.:eusa_shhh:

Teaching math is mandated by your state also :lol:

Seriously you are trying to make an issue out of something that is a non-issue.

If you have a problem with it join the PTA and get the cirriculum changed...thats the American thing to do.

I just asked a question in terms of a poll. I hope everyone who visits this thread votes. So far only 14 people have responded. More than 14 have posted tho.:confused:

Nah, the Jews are not a race of people and Judaism began with Christianity - not before.

Wait, while I generally argue against any recognition of race isn't it correct to say Catholics (thus Christians) sprung out of Jews who believed Jesus was the son of god?

It's funny how any thread which is anti-education seems to have been posted by someone with poor education.

Gosh, I did not know this thread is anti-educational. I thought it was anti-conditioning. Perhaps education and conditioning are synonyms in your book. Woof! Woof!:eusa_whistle:

Then you are quite wrong.

The Holocaust is not a disputed event. It happened, it is historical fact. It is universally understood as such.

There is no more 'conditioning' inherent within the teaching of that than there is in the history of slavery, the Viet Nam war, the rise of Stalin or the Spanish conquest in South America.

History is, be definition, open to debate and interpretation.

Teaching children to debate, to question, to analyze and seek out good sources of information is a good thing.

What makes the irony of this thread so delicious is that if you had studied more history at school, you would know that.

Amiam,

I am going off my own experience in the IL school system.

I don't applaud Blago for much, but I do applaud him for atrocities study.

We in Illinois are luckier than others.:cuckoo: We have Xolocdaust studies mandated by our state.:eusa_whistle:

Abstract
The state of Illinois was the first state to mandate the teaching of the Holocaust in 1990. This article reports the results of a study of Holocaust education practices at the high school level. At present, it represents the largest study of Holocaust education practices ever conducted in the United States.

The complete article can be found at:
The State of Holocaust Education in Illinois - by Jeffrey Ellison & John Pisapia

This thread is about as bullshit as Amiam so called hatred of all religion, while he focuses his hatred on only one (while also protecting to the end the worst one)!

I have grown up in Chicago. Started highschool in '92 and we never learned a lick about the Holocaust! It wasn't ever mentioned!

Here is more bullshit for you GHook.

For complete text please see:
Illinois.gov - Illinois Government News Network (IGNN) - Search the News Results

I guess you are knee deep in it.:eusa_whistle:

i think he/she/it SHOULD have been forced to learn about the holocaust.

maybe then he/she/it woiuldn't be such an ignorant twit.

Ignorant twit....I think not. Consider the following:
Wannsee Conference

The Wannsee Conference was a meeting of senior officials of the Nazi German regime, held in the Berlin suburb of Wannsee on 20 January 1942. The purpose of the conference was to inform administrative leaders of Departments responsible for various policies relating to Jews, that Reinhard Heydrich had been appointed as the chief executor of the "Final solution to the Jewish question".

For complete text see:
Wannsee Conference - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In history there is only Moses that I can compare with Hitler. I got a kick out of Freud's Moses and Monotheism. As he wrote across the Channel in England he was to miss this man who would command armies to their destruction. Freud thought Moses was an Egyptian general. My ass. He was a general just like Hitler. You guys gotta hit the books.:eusa_whistle:

Gee, some how mandatory and teaching are the same in PP's world. The Greek word Xolocaust meant a burned offering and not "The mass murder of Jews under the German Nazi regime from 1941 until 1945"

The word "Xolocaust" was seized by the Zionists to propagate a guilt and foment support for the Zionist state AFTER their heroic victory in 1967. You see....Finklestein got it right!

Genocide was a word once used to describe this event. It is an event along with a long list of other events that fit this category.:eusa_shhh:

Teaching math is mandated by your state also :lol:

Seriously you are trying to make an issue out of something that is a non-issue.

If you have a problem with it join the PTA and get the cirriculum changed...thats the American thing to do.

I just asked a question in terms of a poll. I hope everyone who visits this thread votes. So far only 14 people have responded. More than 14 have posted tho.:confused:

I voted, and from my posts in the thread you probably think I voted yes but I voted no.

I'm not a big fan of ANYTHING like this being "mandatory" Cirriculum should be shaped and influenced by the involved parents in that community.

Then you are quite wrong.

The Holocaust is not a disputed event. It happened, it is historical fact. It is universally understood as such.

There is no more 'conditioning' inherent within the teaching of that than there is in the history of slavery, the Viet Nam war, the rise of Stalin or the Spanish conquest in South America.

History is, be definition, open to debate and interpretation.

Teaching children to debate, to question, to analyze and seek out good sources of information is a good thing.

What makes the irony of this thread so delicious is that if you had studied more history at school, you would know that.

I always thought history was mans attempt to record the past. There is history and the past. Hopefully they are the same. That it is open to interpretation is obvious. Thanks for pointing out the obvious.

Perhaps you fancy I have lead a sheltered life. I recall my high school days at Lane reading the 'Conquest of Peru' and the 'Conquest of Mexico' by Prescott. I read all five volumes on my own because I was fascinated.

As to the children, to whom do they belong, their parents or the state? There seems to be a future battle here with some people choosing home schooling and other choosing private education. Do we have a crisis in education?:confused:

As to the Xolocaust (I resent the conditioning and honor the Greeks. Its their word.) the event evolved over time from the attempted expulsion of the Jews from Germany to the Final Solution. The Final Solution has become popularly known as the Holocaust.

I always thought history was mans attempt to record the past. There is history and the past. Hopefully they are the same. That it is open to interpretation is obvious. Thanks for pointing out the obvious.

At a basic level it is an attempt to record the past.

At a more advanced level it is a question of analysis and interpretation, of finding patterns and establishing models, or discerning trends and discussing why things happen.

Within the education system, this is also about teaching children how to question, how to challenge beliefs, and how to find answers.

As far as I can tell, you oppose this.

.Perhaps you fancy I have lead a sheltered life. I recall my high school days at Lane reading the 'Conquest of Peru' and the 'Conquest of Mexico' by Prescott. I read all five volumes on my own because I was fascinated.

Personally, I went to Mexico and Peru myself, just as I went to Birkenau, Babi Yar and Salaspils.

While I have immense faith and belief in the value of books, to me the art of history is about finding out answers for oneself.

Again - you seem to oppose this.

At a basic level it is an attempt to record the past.

At a more advanced level it is a question of analysis and interpretation, of finding patterns and establishing models, or discerning trends and discussing why things happen.

Within the education system, this is also about teaching children how to question, how to challenge beliefs, and how to find answers.

As far as I can tell, you oppose this.

.Perhaps you fancy I have lead a sheltered life. I recall my high school days at Lane reading the 'Conquest of Peru' and the 'Conquest of Mexico' by Prescott. I read all five volumes on my own because I was fascinated.

Personally, I went to Mexico and Peru myself, just as I went to Birkenau, Babi Yar and Salaspils.

While I have immense faith and belief in the value of books, to me the art of history is about finding out answers for oneself.

Again - you seem to oppose this.

As far as I can tell it seems to me you do not understand the purpose of this poll. The question was should Xolocaust studies be mandated by the State of Illinois. To have politicians dictate to the schools is not to my liking nor to yours I think. The issue was the 'Mandate' and not 'History'.

The Xolocaust is part of history and was known as the 'Final Solution'. To infer that I oppose teaching history is a far cry from opposing a mandate. We do have a crisis in education!

If history is being taught - why would it not cover WWII?

Who would consider omitting WW II? Where did you get that idea? :eusa_whistle:

Wow...probably it had something to do with you starting a thread condemning the idea of making the teaching of the Holocaust compulsory.

Given that the Holocaust also reached into places like Holland, France, the Ukraine, Romania, Denmark, Finland, Latvia, Lithuania, Poland, Czech and even England - it is impossible to teach WWII without teaching the Holocaust. It's a single event.

If history is being taught - why would it not cover WWII?

Who would consider omitting WW II? Where did you get that idea? :eusa_whistle:

Wow...probably it had something to do with you starting a thread condemning the idea of making the teaching of the Holocaust compulsory.

Given that the Holocaust also reached into places like Holland, France, the Ukraine, Romania, Denmark, Finland, Latvia, Lithuania, Poland, Czech and even England - it is impossible to teach WWII without teaching the Holocaust. It's a single event.

Wow...condemning and mocking are synonyms in your book. Seems like a language gap between us.:confused:

I'll accept a single event characterization if you include WW I as Part of WWII. All belligerents were not present at the signing of the peace treaty. The Zionists were not included in the peace treaty and so were still at war.

What were the services rendered by the Zionists to the English to earn the Balfour Declaration?

This is a slow moving poll with only 14 people voting. Wow! Nobody here?

I guess Sodafid does not care to discuss the 'single event'. However, he is a strong believer in historical truth.:doubt:

Amiam -

If you post something coherent, I will respond to it.

While WWI is hugely relevant to WWII, they are not the same event, particularly as they were separated by the Weimar Republic - which itself is rarely taught as part of WWII.

Forum List

Back