Mandatory sprinkler systems in new homes

chanel

Silver Member
Jun 8, 2009
People's Republic of NJ
The Nanny staters are at it again.

Legislation to require sprinkler systems in new homes passed an Assembly panel today, but not before reigniting a debate about whether the safety measure would be worth the added cost amid a staggering economy.

The bill (A3278) would direct the state Department of Community Affairs to withhold occupancy permits for new one- and two-family homes unless they are equipped with sprinkler systems similar to those required in hotels, dormitories and apartment buildings.

Fire safety officials support the legislation, saying the systems have been proven to save lives and limit property damage caused by blazes. But opponents fear adding any additional costs to new home construction, an industry struggling to rebound after the recession.

N.J. Assembly panel passes bill requiring sprinkler systems in new homes | NJ.com

This kind of shit makes my blood boil.

Comments?

• Thanks
Reactions: 007
Blame the lawyers. Better, blame the people who were stupid, started fires, blame the builder and hired the lawyer to sue them.

It makes my blood boil just like mandatory smoke alarms do.

Legislation to require sprinkler systems in new homes passed an Assembly panel today, but not before reigniting a debate about whether the safety measure would be worth the added cost amid a staggering economy.

The bill (A3278) would direct the state Department of Community Affairs to withhold occupancy permits for new one- and two-family homes unless they are equipped with sprinkler systems similar to those required in hotels, dormitories and apartment buildings.

Fire safety officials support the legislation, saying the systems have been proven to save lives and limit property damage caused by blazes. But opponents fear adding any additional costs to new home construction, an industry struggling to rebound after the recession.

N.J. Assembly panel passes bill requiring sprinkler systems in new homes | NJ.com

Comments?

When did home fires become a major problem? Insurance covers the damages, so why does the state of New Jersey give a damn? Is the insurance industry lobbying for this piece of crap? That's what I suspect. It would push the cost of fires off of them and totally onto every home owner, whether he has a fire or not.

Last edited:

Comments?

Yeah, that will make it so much cheaper and easier for someone to get into their First home.

How about this one...

Congress is considering taking up legislation to ban luggage fees on airlines. Gotta try to control every aspect of business and then they wonder why businesses leave the US

They have to justify their salaries. They can't solve the big problems, so they create some more.

If Christie vetoes this, you know the media will accuse him of wanting to burn babies or some shit.

My husband is a plumber. He just pointed out about a dozen "unintended consequences" arising from this.

Hey NJ - how about if we make all houses out of concrete and drive in inflatable cars? Could saves lives...

They have to justify their salaries. They can't solve the big problems, so they create some more.

If Christie vetoes this, you know the media will accuse him of wanting to burn babies or some shit.

My husband is a plumber. He just pointed out about a dozen "unintended consequences" arising from this.

Hey NJ - how about if we make all houses out of concrete and drive in inflatable cars? Could saves lives...

I can think of one right off the top of my head: What happens of the pipes spring a big leak? The water damage could be worse than any damage from a fire.

You think the airlines are going to leave the US?

No, but they will raise ticket prices on people who don't check bags.

It's so typical that a libturd nimrod like you can never see the downside of any government regulation.

Comments?

I'm waiting for the upgrade that comes with the 'cone of silence.'

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cafj9spULHU&feature=related]Get Smart - O Cone do Silêncio - YouTube[/ame]

Comments?
Yeah. One more in a seemingly endless series of reasons not to live in New Jersey.

Oh, and if Jerseyites elected these morons, they deserve it.

How about this one...

Congress is considering taking up legislation to ban luggage fees on airlines. Gotta try to control every aspect of business and then they wonder why businesses leave the US

How many people on a flight check a bag? It's about 15 on most of the flights I'm on. Most people just take a carry-on. EDIT.

I think it's the carry-ons they want to charge for.

However, one company is making a luggage jacket. You wear it.

Comments?

I am, well was, a licensed fire life safety tech waaay back, do these idiots realize what that entails?

standpipe, risers, inspection valves, organic microbes can create pinhole degradation of the branch pipes, leading to leaks etc..

And you can bet they will create a whole new dept. for city/cty. home sprinkler system inspector jobs....see? gov can create jobs? :eusa_hand:

they are just flat out f^cking nuts.

I just looked up the certification requirements for a fire safety tech. The application is $180 and it seems all of our employees will have to go back to school. Where and when, we have no idea. And let's just say that a few of them don't care for school much. That's why they went into plumbing.

We live at the Jersey shore. Many of the homes near us have well water. When a fire starts, the electric is cut off. The sprinklers will have no water.

I can understand requiring this for condos and commercial businesses. Fires can spread to other people's property. But for single family homes????

But wait - there's more! This is from the comments section of the article:

This is a win for the water companies who will now charge a user fee for having a sprinkler connection. N.J.S.A. §40:14B-21 which was amended in 2003 provides for a user fee depending on the connection pipe size to the water system. In Jersey City that user fee is approximately $125 a month. It's an additional tax. Then the user is charged a fee of $75 for having a backflow valve and must spend $300 to have it tested. The Appellate Courts upheld this fee. Also one Hudson County Superior court judge found that JCMUA's fee was reasonable because an additional service is provided to the user and landlord's can charge more rent. So homeowners it's time to lobby.

I guarantee, this is all about money. It's got NOTHING to do with safety. Just more filthy corruption with elected officials being bought.

I can think of one right off the top of my head: What happens of the pipes spring a big leak? The water damage could be worse than any damage from a fire.

Go check your homeowers policy.

Water damage is typically NOT covered.

Seriously, go check YOUR policy.

Well the argument is based on fear tactics (as usual) and this mandate is supposed to "save lives". I don't think they give a rat's ass about property damage. While fire fatalities are tragic, they are very rare. Check the stats.

I just finished teaching he Canterbury Tales. In "The Pardoner's Tale" the three rioters set out to "kill Death". The Pardoner himself is a snakeoil salesman who scares the people into giving him money. My, my, it seems that some moral lessons are never learned. Perhaps those politicians shouldn't have slept during English class. :lol:

Last edited:
I guarantee, this is all about money. It's got NOTHING to do with safety. Just more filthy corruption with elected officials being bought.

Probably true, Rider...but, from my experience, pols search the cobwebs of their minds to find some, any, way to suggest that they are trying to look out for the folks.

The nanny state idea, it seems, has moment.

Forum List

Back