Mandatory mental health screening for kids

Hey, it was our government that made the rules!

Well, you do know that children with a disability get Social Security Benifits, right? I have to fill out forms whenever I get a new student who qualifies for special ed for SS, and one of the questions is, "Do you think the child was cohersed into acting like he has a disability?"

I think they are taking it too far with the ADHD Label though, and maybe only the meds should be covered if needed.

Well, you do know that children with a disability get Social Security Benifits, right? I have to fill out forms whenever I get a new student who qualifies for special ed for SS, and one of the questions is, "Do you think the child was cohersed into acting like he has a disability?"

I think they are taking it too far with the ADHD Label though, and maybe only the meds should be covered if needed.

A teacher is asked their opinion about a diagnosis ?

A teacher is asked their opinion about a diagnosis ?

No, I have to answer questions about their performance in the classroom and other things. But that is one of the questions, I wish I could remember some more but it's almost bedtime.

No, I have to answer questions about their performance in the classroom and other things. But that is one of the questions, I wish I could remember some more but it's almost bedtime.

Weird----but not surprising. Teachers are to teach. Not be social workers.

Not only do I know that, but the link I gave led to a page on how to get kids qualified.

Yes, they are taking it way too far. Giving a child a disability payment because he/she has ADHD? Why do they need that? The parents are the ones who get the check, of course, and spend it on whatever they feel they need. It's another government giveaway, pure and simple.

The government has done such a great job in our public school system that it would be wonderful if they could assess the mental health of all our children. Let's face it, the government can do no wrong. I look forward to Obama and the Democratically-controlled Congress making this a law. The more government intervention, the better.

Not only do I know that, but the link I gave led to a page on how to get kids qualified.

Yes, they are taking it way too far. Giving a child a disability payment because he/she has ADHD? Why do they need that? The parents are the ones who get the check, of course, and spend it on whatever they feel they need. It's another government giveaway, pure and simple.

Well, you may want to consider the possibilty that there are SOME parents out there that use that money for their child, right? Best not to lump everyone all into one group, that would be close minded now, wouldn't it?

But I am on the same page as you for the ADHD $$, not needed, again, except to help cover the cost of their meds only.

The government has done such a great job in our public school system that it would be wonderful if they could assess the mental health of all our children. Let's face it, the government can do no wrong. I look forward to Obama and the Democratically-controlled Congress making this a law. The more government intervention, the better.

I'm volunteering YOU to do the ADDH screening in Houston, btw. :lol:

Weird----but not surprising. Teachers are to teach. Not be social workers.

Dillo, this is AFTER the child has been tested and placed in my classroom for special ed. They feel the teacher best knows the child to answer their questions, which is true.

And in the 12 years I've been doing this, NOT ONE CHILD has "faked" a disability, they are all true special needs kids. (and very special to me! :) )

Dillo, this is AFTER the child has been tested and placed in my classroom for special ed. They feel the teacher best knows the child to answer their questions, which is true.

And in the 12 years I've been doing this, NOT ONE CHILD has "faked" a disability, they are all true special needs kids. (and very special to me! :) )

It still seems like they're asking you to be the gestapo. (And that German accent of yours doesn't help either.) :lol:

Well, you may want to consider the possibilty that there are SOME parents out there that use that money for their child, right? Best not to lump everyone all into one group, that would be close minded now, wouldn't it?

But I am on the same page as you for the ADHD $$, not needed, again, except to help cover the cost of their meds only.

I suppose there might be some parents who would use the money for their child, but, then, why would it cost more to raise a child with ADD than one without?

It costs a lot more to educate them, of course, but the state is already paying for that cost.

It's also just barely possible that the parents of inner city kids are more than willing to attach the ADHD label to their kid in order to have a few more bucks to spend on booze, but, then, that's just my innate cynicism talking.

I suppose there might be some parents who would use the money for their child, but, then, why would it cost more to raise a child with ADD than one without?

It costs a lot more to educate them, of course, but the state is already paying for that cost.

It's also just barely possible that the parents of inner city kids are more than willing to attach the ADHD label to their kid in order to have a few more bucks to spend on booze, but, then, that's just my innate cynicism talking.

Well Skeptik, that's where I teach. I've seen it all, but I'm happy to say a LOT of the parents care about their kids and what is best for them. They want them to have the best education possible. I have had 100% parent turn out for our parent/teacher conferences, and if they didn't care, they wouldn't show up.

Don't be so cynical, there ARE good people out there, I promise! :)

Well Skeptik, that's where I teach. I've seen it all, but I'm happy to say a LOT of the parents care about their kids and what is best for them. They want them to have the best education possible. I have had 100% parent turn out for our parent/teacher conferences, and if they didn't care, they wouldn't show up.

Don't be so cynical, there ARE good people out there, I promise! :)

Yes, of course there are some good people out there, and some of them even care about their kids.

I know. I taught in the public schools for 38 years.

I can't say as I ever, in all of that time, had 100% of the parents turn out for conferences, but the ones who do show up do care.

Some of the rest of them, oh boy, they are the ones who feed my cynicism.

Yes, of course there are some good people out there, and some of them even care about their kids.

I know. I taught in the public schools for 38 years.

I can't say as I ever, in all of that time, had 100% of the parents turn out for conferences, but the ones who do show up do care.

Some of the rest of them, oh boy, they are the ones who feed my cynicism.

Ah, now I get it................

I only have 26 years to get where you are, I hope I don't end up cynical like you! I love my job, love my students, and love the staff I work with!

Hope I'm still saying that 26 years from now! ;)

{PS-Thank you for your 38 years of teaching service!}

Last edited:
Ah, now I get it................

I only have 26 years to get where you are, I hope I don't end up cynical like you! I love my job, love my students, and love the staff I work with!

Hope I'm still saying that 26 years from now! ;)

{PS-Thank you for your 38 years of teaching service!}

I hope you are, too.

And, my cynicism doesn't extend to all of the parents, or to the students. It pretty much includes the government, and its inanities, however, such as paying kids for being ADD, or paying parents to have kids.

Sometimes, I would come home thinking that teaching was the best job anywhere. Other times, I would be thinking, "There just has to be an easier way to earn a living."

I still think there are easier ways to earn a living, but teaching is still one of the best jobs around. It is also an intimate look at our society, and sometimes what I saw was pretty scary.

Hang in there. Good teachers are just as much heroes as are good cops and fire fighters who rescue people from burning buildings.

I hope you are, too.

And, my cynicism doesn't extend to all of the parents, or to the students. It pretty much includes the government, and its inanities, however, such as paying kids for being ADD, or paying parents to have kids.

Sometimes, I would come home thinking that teaching was the best job anywhere. Other times, I would be thinking, "There just has to be an easier way to earn a living."

I still think there are easier ways to earn a living, but teaching is still one of the best jobs around. It is also an intimate look at our society, and sometimes what I saw was pretty scary.

Hang in there. Good teachers are just as much heroes as are good cops and fire fighters who rescue people from burning buildings.

Thank you!

I cant help but notice the main issue that seems to concern most of you is the money grab or the government intrusion ..but the real tragedy and outrage is what is happening to the lives and minds of these child victims...

I cant help but notice the main issue that seems to concern most of you is the money grab or the government intrusion ..but the real tragedy and outrage is what is happening to the lives and minds of these child victims...

You don't care. Just the other day you were claiming that NO medication should be given for ANY mental problems for anyone. You are a loon.

You don't care. Just the other day you were claiming that NO medication should be given for ANY mental problems for anyone. You are a loon.

I care deeply what's happening to these children and many adults because of these drugs..and there is a jump from saying no medication should be given to anyone under any circumstance and saying these drugs are vastly over prescribed ..can create worsening symptoms..psychosis..suicides and homicides ..from those that where simply depressed before hand..that there are many possible causes for the symptoms we call mental illness that are never looked at first...I am of the belief like the lobotomy the use of these drugs will be considered barbaric in most cases 20 years from now

Forum List

Back