Mandatory Dating Violence Curriculum

chanel

Silver Member
Jun 8, 2009
People's Republic of NJ
Schools in New Jersey might soon be required to conduct classes on dating violence.

The Senate Education Committee today advanced a bill that would create a task force to develop a policy for schools. The policy would provide guidelines to school staff on reporting and responding to date violence.

Health teachers in public schools would be required to give age-appropriate instruction, which some already do.

The bill also requires the Education Department to develop dating violence training materials and to post them online.

The measure has bipartisan sponsorship.

A similar bill has been approved by the Assembly Education panel.

N.J. Senate committee advances bill on dating violence | NJ.com

Reporting and responding to date violence? Intruding into their personal lives? Does anyone else see a problem with this?

• Thanks
Reactions: blu
Schools in New Jersey might soon be required to conduct classes on dating violence.

The Senate Education Committee today advanced a bill that would create a task force to develop a policy for schools. The policy would provide guidelines to school staff on reporting and responding to date violence.

Health teachers in public schools would be required to give age-appropriate instruction, which some already do.

The bill also requires the Education Department to develop dating violence training materials and to post them online.

Reporting and responding to date violence? Intruding into their personal lives? Does anyone else see a problem with this?

What the hell happened to parenting?

Another social problem they expect the schools to fix. And I guarantee the language will include any form of "abuse" including mean comments. Teachers are supposed to be teaching academics - not asking about whether Johnny pressures you for sex. Another mandate; another fucking committee... And how much will it cost the taxpayers? Shall each district provide a professional dating counselor? This kind of stuff boils my blood.

I bet these are the same people who think that students should understand evolution well enough to understand that, while it is only a theory, it underlies most of the biological sciences. It takes time to learn things, and the more BS people cram into a curriculum, the less time teachers have to teach math, science, or even English.

Oh Dear God. All 'extra' stuff should be yanked out of the school's hands asap and they should only be allowed to teach the three Rs and the like. Seriously.

Another social problem they expect the schools to fix. And I guarantee the language will include any form of "abuse" including mean comments. Teachers are supposed to be teaching academics - not asking about whether Johnny pressures you for sex. Another mandate; another fucking committee... And how much will it cost the taxpayers? Shall each district provide a professional dating counselor? This kind of stuff boils my blood.

and how about the emotinoal abuse in teenage relationships? the physical abuse?
hiow about close to 50% of female teens reporting a bad sexual experience?
does that boil your blood?

teens aren't really forth coming with parents. and parents do a lot to alienate themselves from their kids.

I'd be more worried about taking care of their problems than anything else

You know; maybe, just maybe if we allowed parents to teach their children the ideals of Right and Wrong, and reinforced those same ideals in the school system and society in general, this sort of garbage wouldn't happen (at least as much). Parents should teach these young men and ladies what is and is not acceptable and appropriate in a dating environment. Most teens now have cell phones, so calling to get a ride home after telling "mr right" to buzz off shouldn't be that big of a deal for young ladies. Young men should not be putting their dates in that position either. However, that's mostly something that needs to be TAUGHT at home. It can be reinforced in school but the impetus needs to be in the HOME.

However, some level of violence is always going to occur between people, whether they're involved in a relationship or not and regardless of age. The way to deal with the violence after it has occured is through our LEGAL SYSTEM. These young ladies need to PROSECUTE the offenders if the offense reaches that level. If not, they need to get the word out amongst their friends that "Johnny" is not someone who the girls should be dating.

All in all, I think that Common Sense rather than more laws is the way to deal with this one. I can speak for myself in that I would have been much more concerned about my FATHER hearing that I has mistreated a young lady on a date than worrying about the school administration or the police.

You are already required by law to report abuse: I really don't see how including date rape in the definition of "abuse" is such a big deal.

Health teachers are already teaching about date rape.

rapestats.gif

You know; maybe, just maybe if we allowed parents to teach their children the ideals of Right and Wrong, and reinforced those same ideals in the school system and society in general, this sort of garbage wouldn't happen (at least as much). Parents should teach these young men and ladies what is and is not acceptable and appropriate in a dating environment. Most teens now have cell phones, so calling to get a ride home after telling "mr right" to buzz off shouldn't be that big of a deal for young ladies. Young men should not be putting their dates in that position either. However, that's mostly something that needs to be TAUGHT at home. It can be reinforced in school but the impetus needs to be in the HOME.

However, some level of violence is always going to occur between people, whether they're involved in a relationship or not and regardless of age. The way to deal with the violence after it has occured is through our LEGAL SYSTEM. These young ladies need to PROSECUTE the offenders if the offense reaches that level. If not, they need to get the word out amongst their friends that "Johnny" is not someone who the girls should be dating.

All in all, I think that Common Sense rather than more laws is the way to deal with this one. I can speak for myself in that I would have been much more concerned about my FATHER hearing that I has mistreated a young lady on a date than worrying about the school administration or the police.

to add to your comemtn about friends talking....one thing you are taught when it comes to peer education, kids hide abuse, problems, addictions, and their issues from teachers and parents, but friends always know.

and those friends need to advise their friends well and know where to go to for help

this isn't about bad parenting or bad teaching - its kids being good secret keepers about their private lives
(and also - who wants to think that this could happen to their child?)

You are already required by law to report abuse: I really don't see how including date rape in the definition of "abuse" is such a big deal.

Exactly. Then why another mandate?

one is forced to wonder about the relationships of teachers...who are now being ask to do the reporting...what if a teacher is in a dv situation of his/her own?
will this simply encourage revenge reports or false reports...hell i dont know...i just wished teachers could stick to the 3 r's and do that well....but i agree ..there aint a whole lot of parenting going on...its much easier to be a bad parent...not much work to that....but being a good parent is a fucking 24/7 job and you dont get holidays off

Exactly. Then why another mandate?

Why not?

From the link it seems all the state is doing is standardizing the teaching method in Health, and putting together a webpage.

Forum List

Back