Mandatory counseling for seniors every 5 years

Catch up, this isn't the 19th century where people actually cared about blood relations more than friendships, we have gotten wiser in this time on that matter thankfully. Also, counseling is not "treating someone like a child" ... it is showing a concern for their wellbeing, many adult go to counseling for many reasons, you get counseling every medical decision you make (or should), you get counseling when you go to court, you get counseling when buying a house ... nothing wrong with giving counseling to someone who is nearing death or at an age in which the body naturally degrades, which is why we were not designed to live past 80 really. You are being naive. The world is not so black and white, and never has been.

Thankfully we've gotten wiser? That's not wise that is just plain warped.

Yes, we all get "counseling" for those kinds of things, we pay for them. We also pre-plan so that we don't become burdens for our descendents.

*puts on Little House on the Prarie bonnet*

Family is and should always be important.

I agree. I don't have a friend or relative that doesn't have family or someone that would watch out for them. Of course, if while raising your kids you are a jerk, remember that when the end 'rolls around.' Certainly not fool proof, but in the main, decent parents have decent children.

Even when they have crappy ones, the family (at least all the ones I know) still take care of them.

Yes, we all get "counseling" for those kinds of things, we pay for them. We also pre-plan so that we don't become burdens for our descendents.

Have ya figured out what to do about those that ARE slightly gone in the head, and do NOT have family?

Same thing we currently do. Have privately funded legal clinics that help the elderly. Did it for years, works great. ;)

Uh huh. What if they don't know they need help?

Catch up, this isn't the 19th century where people actually cared about blood relations more than friendships, we have gotten wiser in this time on that matter thankfully. Also, counseling is not "treating someone like a child" ... it is showing a concern for their wellbeing, many adult go to counseling for many reasons, you get counseling every medical decision you make (or should), you get counseling when you go to court, you get counseling when buying a house ... nothing wrong with giving counseling to someone who is nearing death or at an age in which the body naturally degrades, which is why we were not designed to live past 80 really. You are being naive. The world is not so black and white, and never has been.

Why is it "warped"? You don't get to choose your blood relations, so you also don't get to choose family that has your ideals or even values. You do get to choose your friends and they choose you, therefore you know they will respect your true wishes and at least share some of your values and ideals.

Because if not for your family, you would not be here. Also, while we might not choose our family, especially the asshats in it, if you can't be bothered to take care of them, there is no such thing as caring for asshats *non familial* in general.

Friends should be honored and cared for as well. But, IMO, we have a responsbility to our families as well.

Have ya figured out what to do about those that ARE slightly gone in the head, and do NOT have family?

Same thing we currently do. Have privately funded legal clinics that help the elderly. Did it for years, works great. ;)

If they are so far gone that they don't know they need help, then they are incapable of making legal decisions, even w/counseling.

If they are so far gone that they don't know they need help, then they are incapable of making legal decisions, even w/counseling.

:smoke: Wait til you get behind one on a freeway entrance ramp, and they decide they don't want to be there, and promptly stop their car, and turn around to get off.

If this shit gets put through, mandatory road tests damned well better get put through.

Why is it "warped"? You don't get to choose your blood relations, so you also don't get to choose family that has your ideals or even values. You do get to choose your friends and they choose you, therefore you know they will respect your true wishes and at least share some of your values and ideals.

Because if not for your family, you would not be here. Also, while we might not choose our family, especially the asshats in it, if you can't be bothered to take care of them, there is no such thing as caring for asshats *non familial* in general.

Friends should be honored and cared for as well. But, IMO, we have a responsbility to our families as well.

So ... just because I have their genetic material I am in debt to them even if they abuse or otherwise harm me? That's just sick and twisted thinking.

:smoke: Wait til you get behind one on a freeway entrance ramp, and they decide they don't want to be there, and promptly stop their car, and turn around to get off.

If this shit gets put through, mandatory road tests damned well better get put through.

Believe me I have...:lol:......and I agree wholeheartedly......AND mandatory eye and hearing tests as well.

So ... just because I have their genetic material I am in debt to them even if they abuse or otherwise harm me? That's just sick and twisted thinking.

No, what's sick and twisted is assuming the majority of seniors abused, or otherwise harmed their children.

BTW, definition of "otherwise harmed"? Some people claim harm at the stupidest of reasons.

Last edited:
The whole proposal is sick. From forcing people into gov't health care, to penalizing them if they don't do it (thousands of dollars a year) to laws which subject our elders to submit to people who will encourage them to kill themselves when they become an alleged "burden".

The whole proposal is sick. From forcing people into gov't health care, to penalizing them if they don't do it (thousands of dollars a year) to laws which subject our elders to submit to people who will encourage them to kill themselves when they become an alleged "burden".

Welcome to nanny world.....where you give us our paycheck and we will give you back what we think you should spend......and tell you how long you are allowed to live....:eusa_shhh:

Allie's got it better than all the others against this. I am giving out too many kudos today though, so :clap2:

Allie's got it better than all the others against this. I am giving out too many kudos today though, so :clap2:

You also did have a great point about the englargement of the debt with this mandate. There are just so many reasons, so little time LOL

Pray it fails miserably. Part of my salary is Blue Cross/Blue Shield. This plan means in 5 years I'll be forced into government health care, and in the meantime pay taxes on what my present plan is worth.

That will put me at 130 percent (or lower) of the federal poverty level...which means I will qualify for the very programs I determine eligibility for! Which means a whole lot of people will suddenly qualify...which means a huge amount of $$ will be required...on top of what is being spent already.

This will ruin the nation.

Pray it fails miserably. Part of my salary is Blue Cross/Blue Shield. This plan means in 5 years I'll be forced into government health care, and in the meantime pay taxes on what my present plan is worth.

That will put me at 130 percent (or lower) of the federal poverty level...which means I will qualify for the very programs I determine eligibility for! Which means a whole lot of people will suddenly qualify...which means a huge amount of $$ will be required...on top of what is being spent already.

This will ruin the nation.

I do hope it will. And the majority of the nation will find itself facing that same scenario.

If you leave your job, you can't sign up for your own choice of insurance but will be required to take the gov option. My next question thus becomes, what if you change jobs, and as a result a different insurer?

Forum List

Back