Mandatory counseling for seniors every 5 years

Arawyn

Bringer of Light
Jul 18, 2009
WA
Or more if they are sick is written into healthcare legislation?

*I heard it on Rush's show today*

Gee, I didn't know our seniors were so screwed up they would require counseling.

I guess this is another stimultation of sorts (not of the physical kind LOL) that Obama has promised. It will create tons more jobs alright, government jobs.

Gee, I didn't know our seniors were so screwed up they would require counseling.

I guess this is another stimultation of sorts (not of the physical kind LOL) that Obama has promised. It will create tons more jobs alright, government jobs.
The counseling is for them to discuss their wishes, should they become unresponsive .. as in a living will etc.
William Kristol and others have suggested that it has something to do with euthanasia .. Kristol will stoop to anything. I couldn't be euthanized by law, even if I asked for it.

Section 1233 of HR 3200

It's requires doctors to sign that they've gone over 'dying with dignity' with the patient. Read the section closely and you'll see where they are going and what they are leaving 'open.'

Anyone who's 'known' me for the years on the boards, knows that both of my parents lived into their 80's. While they were in their 60's and 70's they gave my brother and I 'medical power of attorney.' For both of them, there came a time that as a family we decided when a 'DNR' order would be given-my dad made the decision for my mom; My dad and us made it for him.

I'm certainly not against anyone making these decisions for themselves or family members, but it should be 'informed', not because of a certain age.

Text of H.R.3200 as Introduced in House:... OpenCongress

Start at my link to 1233 and scroll down.

Last edited:

The counseling is for them to discuss their wishes, should they become unresponsive .. as in a living will etc.
William Kristol and others have suggested that it has something to do with euthanasia .. Kristol will stoop to anything. I couldn't be euthanized by law, even if I asked for it.

Isn't that what families are for? Isn't that what planning for your senior years currently entails under personal responsibility?

Section 1233 of HR 3200

Text of H.R.3200 as Introduced in House:... OpenCongress

Start at my link to 1233 and scroll down.

Will do as soon as page unlocks for me :lol: It's my puter causing hangup

Isn't that what families are for? Isn't that what planning for your senior years currently entails under personal responsibility?

Which is fine, if they HAVE families. Not everyone does, and those that don't likely need all the help they can get.

What SHOULD be mandatory, is a friggen road test every year after the age of 60. :mad:

If true, a double edged sword. On one hand it's forcing them to spend more money that we really don't have, on the other it may make their lives a little better.

Ok, so doctors', health care professionals will not only address health care issues but legal ones as well?

Thus I stand by my previous post: Isn't that a part of senior planning anyway? Now it'll be government enforced? Geez louise.

It's sad to see people still cling to this morally backwards concept. Even if a majority do have family, most are no longer in contact with them and a stranger would make as good a decision on their care, family rarely cares about the wishes of their members, they almost always care only for their own personal gain in the venture.

Which is fine, if they HAVE families. Not everyone does, and those that don't likely need all the help they can get.

What SHOULD be mandatory, is a friggen road test every year after the age of 60. :mad:

SHOULD be mandatory? I'm sorry but this is treating those of senior citizen age as dotty idiots who can't take care of themselves. Ridiculous.

SHOULD be mandatory? I'm sorry but this is treating those of senior citizen age as dotty idiots who can't take care of themselves. Ridiculous.

Either you can't read, or sarcasm is simply lost on you, and you're in the wrong type of environment.

It's sad to see people still cling to this morally backwards concept. Even if a majority do have family, most are no longer in contact with them and a stranger would make as good a decision on their care, family rarely cares about the wishes of their members, they almost always care only for their own personal gain in the venture.

And it is sad to see the cynical attitude that reverses the age old concept of wisdom w/age and replaces it with the old are like children and thus be treated as such.

BTW, MOST families are NOT out to screw their parents/grandparents.

Either you can't read, or sarcasm is simply lost on you, and you're in the wrong type of environment.

LOL, sorry sarcasm meter is off today, that and I don't know everyone yet.

And it is sad to see the cynical attitude that reverses the age old concept of wisdom w/age and replaces it with the old are like children and thus be treated as such.

Catch up, this isn't the 19th century where people actually cared about blood relations more than friendships, we have gotten wiser in this time on that matter thankfully. Also, counseling is not "treating someone like a child" ... it is showing a concern for their wellbeing, many adult go to counseling for many reasons, you get counseling every medical decision you make (or should), you get counseling when you go to court, you get counseling when buying a house ... nothing wrong with giving counseling to someone who is nearing death or at an age in which the body naturally degrades, which is why we were not designed to live past 80 really. You are being naive. The world is not so black and white, and never has been.

Catch up, this isn't the 19th century where people actually cared about blood relations more than friendships, we have gotten wiser in this time on that matter thankfully. Also, counseling is not "treating someone like a child" ... it is showing a concern for their wellbeing, many adult go to counseling for many reasons, you get counseling every medical decision you make (or should), you get counseling when you go to court, you get counseling when buying a house ... nothing wrong with giving counseling to someone who is nearing death or at an age in which the body naturally degrades, which is why we were not designed to live past 80 really. You are being naive. The world is not so black and white, and never has been.

Thankfully we've gotten wiser? That's not wise that is just plain warped.

Yes, we all get "counseling" for those kinds of things, we pay for them. We also pre-plan so that we don't become burdens for our descendents.

*puts on Little House on the Prarie bonnet*

Family is and should always be important.

Yes, we all get "counseling" for those kinds of things, we pay for them. We also pre-plan so that we don't become burdens for our descendents.

Have ya figured out what to do about those that ARE slightly gone in the head, and do NOT have family?

I agree. I don't have a friend or relative that doesn't have family or someone that would watch out for them. Of course, if while raising your kids you are a jerk, remember that when the end 'rolls around.' Certainly not fool proof, but in the main, decent parents have decent children.

Why is it "warped"? You don't get to choose your blood relations, so you also don't get to choose family that has your ideals or even values. You do get to choose your friends and they choose you, therefore you know they will respect your true wishes and at least share some of your values and ideals.

Have ya figured out what to do about those that ARE slightly gone in the head, and do NOT have family?

Same thing we currently do. Have privately funded legal clinics that help the elderly. Did it for years, works great. ;)

Forum List

Back