Mandatory counseling for seniors every 5 years

Discussion in 'Healthcare/Insurance/Govt Healthcare' started by Arawyn, Jul 21, 2009.

1. Arawyn

Arawyn Bringer of Light

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +46
    Or more if they are sick is written into healthcare legislation?

*I heard it on Rush's show today*

Gee, I didn't know our seniors were so screwed up they would require counseling.

I guess this is another stimultation of sorts (not of the physical kind LOL) that Obama has promised. It will create tons more jobs alright, government jobs.

2. Political Junky

Political Junky Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,542
    The counseling is for them to discuss their wishes, should they become unresponsive .. as in a living will etc.
    William Kristol and others have suggested that it has something to do with euthanasia .. Kristol will stoop to anything. I couldn't be euthanized by law, even if I asked for it.

3. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    Section 1233 of HR 3200

It's requires doctors to sign that they've gone over 'dying with dignity' with the patient. Read the section closely and you'll see where they are going and what they are leaving 'open.'

Anyone who's 'known' me for the years on the boards, knows that both of my parents lived into their 80's. While they were in their 60's and 70's they gave my brother and I 'medical power of attorney.' For both of them, there came a time that as a family we decided when a 'DNR' order would be given-my dad made the decision for my mom; My dad and us made it for him.

I'm certainly not against anyone making these decisions for themselves or family members, but it should be 'informed', not because of a certain age.

Text of H.R.3200 as Introduced in House:... OpenCongress

Start at my link to 1233 and scroll down.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2009
  4. Arawyn

Arawyn Bringer of Light

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +46
    Isn't that what families are for? Isn't that what planning for your senior years currently entails under personal responsibility?

5. Arawyn

Arawyn Bringer of Light

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +46
    Will do as soon as page unlocks for me :lol: It's my puter causing hangup

6. Dis

Dis Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Which is fine, if they HAVE families. Not everyone does, and those that don't likely need all the help they can get.

What SHOULD be mandatory, is a friggen road test every year after the age of 60. :mad:

7. KittenKoder

KittenKoder Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,714
    If true, a double edged sword. On one hand it's forcing them to spend more money that we really don't have, on the other it may make their lives a little better.

8. Arawyn

Arawyn Bringer of Light

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +46
    Ok, so doctors', health care professionals will not only address health care issues but legal ones as well?

Thus I stand by my previous post: Isn't that a part of senior planning anyway? Now it'll be government enforced? Geez louise.

9. KittenKoder

KittenKoder Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,714
    It's sad to see people still cling to this morally backwards concept. Even if a majority do have family, most are no longer in contact with them and a stranger would make as good a decision on their care, family rarely cares about the wishes of their members, they almost always care only for their own personal gain in the venture.

10. Arawyn

Arawyn Bringer of Light

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +46
    SHOULD be mandatory? I'm sorry but this is treating those of senior citizen age as dotty idiots who can't take care of themselves. Ridiculous.