Mandate English as a First Language

Zoom-boing

Platinum Member
Oct 30, 2008
East Japip
If you live in this country shouldn't you be able to speak and read the language?

This is the second time that our recycling wasn't picked up because the fucking guys working the truck don't speak or read English!!! :mad:

We put our recycling in a regular trash can w/a lid, have it marked 'RECYCLING' twice in black, permanent sharpie, and after the first non-pick up the company put a big white sticker on the front of the can that says 'RECYCLING ONLY'. The sticker always faces the street. We put the damn newspaper in a damn brown paper bag and sit it on top of the damn can. Kind of hard NOT to know the damn thing is recycling.

They want to mandate health care but are peachy keen that you speak whatever the hell language you want the rest of us will just work around it, right? Wtf, this just pisses me off.

If you live in this country shouldn't you be able to speak and read the language?

This is the second time that our recycling wasn't picked up because the fucking guys working the truck don't speak or read English!!! :mad:

We put our recycling in a regular trash can w/a lid, have it marked 'RECYCLING' twice in black, permanent sharpie, and after the first non-pick up the company put a big white sticker on the front of the can that says 'RECYCLING ONLY'. The sticker always faces the street. We put the damn newspaper in a damn brown paper bag and sit it on top of the damn can. Kind of hard NOT to know the damn thing is recycling.

They want to mandate health care but are peachy keen that you speak whatever the hell language you want the rest of us will just work around it, right? Wtf, this just pisses me off.

I'm not sure I would agree with a mandate...but in this case, I think that at least enough work-related English should be known.

Such as "recycling", "garbage", "trash", etc.

Interestingly, the Spanish word for recycle is "reciclar". I think they might not have read what you had written because they may be completely illiterate for both Spanish and English.

That brings up another point...would you mandate that illiterate English-speaking Americans learn to read? And if there was a mandate, what would be the penalty?

How do you know that's the reason? Perhaps they just don't like you and are messing with your mind. :lol:

Cause I've watched them. They look at the writing and turn around and and leave because they have no fucking clue what it says. The company also admitted that that is likely the reason why. The trash guys are hispanic and they don't speak English. They shouldn't have the damn job if they can't speak and read our damn language.

I'm not sure I would agree with a mandate...but in this case, I think that at least enough work-related English should be known.

Interestingly, the Spanish word for recycle is "reciclar". I think they might not have read what you had written because they may be completely illiterate for both Spanish and English.

That brings up another point...would you mandate that illiterate English-speaking Americans learn to read? And if there was a mandate, what would be the penalty?

Not getting into mandates for illiterate blah, blah, blah. If you are living and working in this country, you shouldn't be able to get any job if you can not pass basic reading and writing of the English language. How they hell did these guys even get the job if they can't read or speak English???

Not getting into mandates for illiterate blah, blah, blah. If you are living and working in this country, you shouldn't be able to get any job if you can not pass basic reading and writing of the English language. How they hell did these guys even get the job if they can't read or speak English???

i am guessing the guy who owns the waste management company doesnt want to pay much for labor so he winds up with workers who dont speak english.

i am guessing the guy who owns the waste management company doesnt want to pay much for labor so he winds up with workers who dont speak english.

I am guessing you are right. It just pisses me off to no end.

How do you know that's the reason? Perhaps they just don't like you and are messing with your mind. :lol:

Cause I've watched them. They look at the writing and turn around and and leave because they have no fucking clue what it says. The company also admitted that that is likely the reason why. The trash guys are hispanic and they don't speak English. They shouldn't have the damn job if they can't speak and read our damn language.
Are they legal immigrants or illegal immigrants?

No clue. I asked the girl on the phone but didn't get an answer. How can I find that out and even if they are illegal, will anyone be able to do anything about it?

No clue. I asked the girl on the phone but didn't get an answer. How can I find that out and even if they are illegal, will anyone be able to do anything about it?

i would say that is your answer right there, they are illegals being paid a very low wage, there is probably nothing you could do but maybe switch to another carting company if that is an option.

The link to the number for suspicious activity....About U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE)

The most recent news releases page of ICE has interesting news highlights.

Your trash companies workers could be one of the 11.3 million currently in the country without proper authorization.

Center for immigration studies;
Overview
In our analysis of the March 2007 Current Population Survey, we estimate that there are approximately 11.3 million illegal aliens living in the United States. Our estimate for the number of illegals included in the 2000 CPS is 7.3 million. This means that the illegal-alien population grew by four million between 2000 and 2007. We estimate that 57 percent of the illegal alien population comes from Mexico, 11 percent from Central America, 9 percent from East Asia, 8 percent from South America, and Europe and the Caribbean account for 4 percent. Of all immigrants from Mexico, 55 percent are illegal; for Central Americans it is 47 percent; and it is 33 percent for South Americans. It should be noted that these estimates only include illegal aliens captured by the March CPS, not those missed by the survey.

The two "magnets" which attract illegal aliens are jobs and family connections. The typical Mexican worker earns one-tenth his American counterpart, and numerous American businesses are willing to hire cheap, compliant labor from abroad. In addition, communities of recently arrived legal immigrants help create immigration networks used by illegal aliens and serve as incubators for illegal immigration, providing jobs, housing, and entree to America for illegal alien relatives and fellow countrymen.

A strategy of attrition through enforcement could reduce the illegal population by as many as 1.5 million illegal aliens each year. Elements of attrition through enforcement include: mandatory workplace verification of immigration status; measures to curb misuse of Social Security and IRS identification numbers; partnerships with state and local law enforcement officials; expanded entry-exit recording under US-VISIT; increased non-criminal removals; and state and local laws to discourage illegal settlement. With this strategy it would not be necessary to deport every single illegal alien, as many would find it difficult to work and live in the United States and make the rational decision to self-deport.

Illegal Immigrants and HR 3200: Estimate of Potential Costs to Taxpayers

:lol: I doubt it. They'd at the very least put in in with the other garbage.

Ask them. I'm sure they'll be tickled at your concern. Make sure to tell them that you're a Republican.

:lol: I doubt it. They'd at the very least put in in with the other garbage.

You want to come look at the recycling can that's been sitting out front since Friday? They didn't take it because they can't read English and these morons didn't even have enough sense to open the damn lid and look inside. I mean, how fucking hard is it to be a trash collector? I guess pretty hard if you can't read or write the language of the country you're living in. They should be fired and they shouldn't have been hired in the first place.

Our recycling gets picked up separately from the regular trash. Once I saw our old trash guys (different company) mix the recycling w/the regular trash; they picked everything up in one trip.

Forum List

Back