Man who won lottery reveals that the pressure of the jackpot led to him considering suicide

barryqwalsh

Gold Member
Sep 30, 2014
david%20kevitt.JPG

David Kevitt, who was just 28 when he scooped the jackpot, said that the subsequent years were the most traumatic of his life and led to him considering suicide.

Irish man who won 1.35m lotto reveals that the pressure of the jackpot led to him considering suicide - Independent.ie

That's what happens when people suddenly have everything a no longer have goals... Robin Williams killed himself not long ago. He had no real problems in life I don't think.

That's what happens when people suddenly have everything a no longer have goals... Robin Williams killed himself not long ago. He had no real problems in life I don't think.
I've heard a lot of people who struggled and succeeded at something, who said they missed the struggle because it gave them something to work toward.

I've heard a lot of people who struggled and succeeded at something, who said they missed the struggle because it gave them something to work toward.
Yeah exactly. Retiring is traumatic I've heard too because suddenly you no longer have a job to bitch about and you just live off what you've made.

I assume this is from all the worthwhile noble causes you hear about begging for some money. While it's easy to give the finger to some, because many are legitimate and good causes, having to say no over and over can take it's toll to a good person.

Yeah exactly. Retiring is traumatic I've heard too because suddenly you no longer have a job to bitch about and you just live off what you've made.

You joke, but many people get a lot of personal satisfaction from their jobs, and a lot of social interaction from their co-workers.

Scott Adams has written how, after he became rich, that his interaction with his old friends changed, and he lost at least one friend.

His old way of conversation, with frank discussions about his problems, instead came across as horrible boasting.

I have played large ticket lotteries, but I could see how it could be bad.

I have worked very hard to get to where I am, and to have all the work rendered meaningless by a stroke of luck?

Could be hard in some ways.

I still play, and assume that I would get over it, of course.:beer:

He had severe depression and was on medication (for his heart, IIRC) that exacerbated it.
But what caused the depression? It seems like lots of celebs can become depressed therefore high drug use and other things that would be common decisions made by someone that thinks their life is pointless.

Robin Williams had battled depression his whole life. And he had recently been diagnosed with Lewy Body Dementia, which causes hallucinations, and Parkinson's disease.

He had lots of problems in his life, he just didn't divulge them to the public.

Forum List

Back