Man who drowned in a Virginia creek identified as US Navy sailor Walter Torres

Not all sailors are good swimmers. Saw a couple of them when I went through boot camp.

And, he could have been dragged under by an undertow. I know that on my first command, there were three guys painting the side of the ship, when a tugboat pulled alongside and the wake generated by the boat flipped the barge they were on. Two of them survived, but a friend of mine named Tony got dragged under the boat and drowned. Took 2 days to find his body, which was 2 piers down from the ship.

Last edited:
Not all sailors are good swimmers. Saw a couple of them when I went through boot camp.

That's strange. I'd have imagined sailors know how to swim. It's kind of logic isn't it?

But..........there you have it ...:rolleyes-41:

That's strange. I'd have imagined sailors know how to swim. It's kind of logic isn't it?

But..........there you have it ...:rolleyes-41:

Some of them had to go through remedial swim training to pass boot camp. And, to tell the truth, the swimming requirements aren't that hard IMHO, but I grew up swimming in lakes and ponds in Montana. Some of the city boys in our company had never even seen a lake or pond, and had never swam at a pool either. Those guys had a hard time.

I think the requirements were that you had to be able to float and tread water for 5 min, as well as swim the length of the pool using any stroke you wanted. Kinda hard to remember back to 1982.

Forum List

Back