Man who claims he was choked by Federal Way police awarded $640,000; calls for reforms

Do you agree or disagree with the verdict? Please explain why below.

• No - He should have received more

Votes: 2 40.0%
  • Yes - That amount should help motivate the police to stop their unlawful practices

• No - He should not have received anything, the police were only doing their job

• Total voters

NewsVine_Mariyam

Platinum Member
Mar 3, 2018
The Beautiful Pacific Northwest
Man who claims he was choked by Federal Way police awarded $640,000; calls for reforms

FEDERAL WAY, WAsh. - A federal jury has awarded a man who sued Federal Way police $640,000 in damages.

Josiah Hunter said he was at an Am/Pm store in Federal Way in September 2014 when he saw a two cars collide a few feet away. Hunter and a friend ran into the street to help.

“We were just here helping that was our main goal,” Hunter said.

But soon after Federal Way police arrived, Hunter said they ordered he and his friend, Junior Beausilien, to back up. He said they then told them they would be charged criminally if they didn’t leave.

But, Hunter said, once they got to the car the officers grabbed them.

“Blink of an eye he started and choking me out and he starts lifting up,” Hunter said.​

The men were charged with criminal trespassing, resisting arrest and obstruction. Charges that were later dropped.

Hunter sued the City of Federal Way, Federal Way police, Officer Kris Durrell and others for and for violating his civil rights. On Tuesday, a jury awarded the now 25-year-old $640,000 in damages.

“I wanted justice,” said Hunter, who works for Alaska Airlines. “I want to make a change. They need to make a change.”​

55671c74-057b-4f01-8ffb-b4a96008d1f9-large16x9_PKGCHOKEDBYPOLICE.transfer_frame_2097.jpg

Here's the legal complaint
HUNTER v. CITY OF FEDERAL | No. 2:16-cv-01445... | 20180712622| Leagle.com

He probably shouldn't have made it know he works for Alaska Airlines. That is a very conservative organization..

That this young man prevailed in his legal action against this police agency is significant in my opinion particularly since he's still alive (not a wrongful death lawsuit) and not permanently mained, disfigured or disabled.

The PD can always appeal though.

They probably will appeal, maybe even re-instate the trumped-up charges.
No end of stupid when you're dealing with local cops.

IF the cops were only doing their jobs, then why drop their charges? According to the story, they had asked/told the guys to leave the accident scene so they could attend to the accident & victims. So technically the charges were valid IF they didn't respond as told. Story wasn't exactly clear if the guys had went to their own car, or to the accident car or the cop car, when the officer became physical.

BUT I will say this...….not only the cops, but the court system (atleast up until just a few years ago) in South King County have been practicing their own kind of law & order.

He should have received more. Federal Way is notorious for being a breeding ground of racism in WA. At least when I was stationed at Ft Lewis.

Not one word in the article about racism. The guy just happens to be black, possibly his friend as well, IDK cause it doesn't discuss the color of their skin. There are such incidents of police overreach with other races as well, including whites. The problems around Puget Sound areas are the cops being more aggressive with EVERYONE

IF the cops were only doing their jobs, then why drop their charges? According to the story, they had asked/told the guys to leave the accident scene so they could attend to the accident & victims. So technically the charges were valid IF they didn't respond as told. Story wasn't exactly clear if the guys had went to their own car, or to the accident car or the cop car, when the officer became physical.

BUT I will say this...….not only the cops, but the court system (atleast up until just a few years ago) in South King County have been practicing their own kind of law & order.
Were the talking/yelling shit while walking towards their car?

I have no idea if they did or not. I rarely watch the local news & this thread is the first I've seen it. Were they?

I have no idea if they did or not. I rarely watch the local news & this thread is the first I've seen it. Were they?
If you didn't know why did you reply to my post?

If you didn't know why did you reply to my post?

because you asked????

New Topics

Forum List

Back