Man who builds small houses, neat video!

The guy lives by himself so of course he can live in a 89 sq ft house, which by the looks of it is just a small trailer.

But yes, I understand the point of the video which is to only have as much home as you need. This goes along with "living within your means", a phrase Americans will get used to in the coming generations as their standard of living decreases due to runaway government debt and manufacturing jobs being sent overseas.

But that's another thread entirely isn't it?

wastefulness is in general a bad thing, and after you indulge in it, you regret it. This is just rational taken to an irrational extreme. It is, however, a lot less crazy that the opposite, living beyond your means which seems to be the norm.

This is cool!

I think we Americans have burdened ourselves, and the planet, with building bigger and bigger houses. This fellow is doing the opposite.

Vitality - Yahoo! News

Not only was that fascinating, but it was fulfilling in the sense of a kind of cosmic justice that I always look for...

The guy does what is the right thing for him, takes a huge chance in an unknown direction, something he loves which does no harm to anyone else...and is karmically rewarded: it opens a whole new career for him.

Bravo!

Thanks for the OP.

I want one, so I can go anywhere in the country. But my question is, isn't that much like an RV?

So cool! I want one. I'd need a bit more than 89 sq. feet since I have a daughter and my brother lives with me as well but still the idea is a sound one. Maybe something more like two of those would work for us.

This is cool!

I think we Americans have burdened ourselves, and the planet, with building bigger and bigger houses. This fellow is doing the opposite.

Vitality - Yahoo! News

Not only was that fascinating, but it was fulfilling in the sense of a kind of cosmic justice that I always look for...

The guy does what is the right thing for him, takes a huge chance in an unknown direction, something he loves which does no harm to anyone else...and is karmically rewarded: it opens a whole new career for him.

Bravo!

Thanks for the OP.

This is exactly why I liked the clip as well. He decided to downsize his life and in doing so taught himself how to build tiny houses...not to make money, but out of his own need and desire to not llive outside of his means. People liked his idea once they saw it, and now he has a new buisness (when he started out as a store clerk). Cool little story...like the house too.

I try not to live outside my means,but I seem to accumulate lots of clutter anyway. I would love to "downsize"...just need to learn how to let go of the "crap" first though.

Last edited:
I have been interested in building one of these for a while now, put it on a piece of land in the country somewhere near a national forest. These houses aren't as cheap as you might think and he isn't the first to do it, there is a company outside of San Antonio that have been building these for quite a few years. These guys specialize in building with 99% salvaged parts from the cabinet, to the floors to the hinges and locks. This is their site.

Tiny Texas Houses

Here is this other guy's web site.
Tumbleweed Tiny House Company

I have been interested in building one of these for a while now, put it on a piece of land in the country somewhere near a national forest. These houses aren't as cheap as you might think and he isn't the first to do it, there is a company outside of San Antonio that have been building these for quite a few years. These guys specialize in building with 99% salvaged parts from the cabinet, to the floors to the hinges and locks. This is their site. Tiny Texas Houses
The houses in that link look like the ones built in the 1800s'. One looks like the School House or Church on "Little House on the Prairie". I'm guessing the insulation is just a bit better than 160 years ago though!

I'd consider getting one, but with a detached mini-barn where I could keep all my hobby stuff. Yeah I know, that kinda' defeats the intended purpose right? :lol:

Most people with really large houses are putting their money into a home rather than giving it all to the regime running the government. Tax breaks and resale values govern selections on real estate for many making a decent living. It's also harder to get a loan for a house that is perceived to be out of the ordinary. My brother built a spectacular Geodesic Dome house with 2 A frames incorporated into it. A very efficient and fun space but he had a hard time getting financing to build it. The market is very small for a home like that but when it came time to sell it, the right person had to have it...... he didn't make a killing but he made a few bucks and experienced life in a dome.

I have been interested in building one of these for a while now, put it on a piece of land in the country somewhere near a national forest. These houses aren't as cheap as you might think and he isn't the first to do it, there is a company outside of San Antonio that have been building these for quite a few years. These guys specialize in building with 99% salvaged parts from the cabinet, to the floors to the hinges and locks. This is their site.

Tiny Texas Houses

Seems to be quite a bit of concurrence in this thread...

I wonder how many of us loved reading 'Walden Pond,' by Thoreau?

Great, if you live alone. What about those of us who like girls?

Tiny Texas Houses

I was looking at your link...very cool houses, and they look to come in several different sizes. I like the rustic look of them and that they seem to all be very unique,it's also neat that they are built with all recycled materials. The wood work is beautiful.

Thanks for posting that!

Forum List

Back