Man wants to live like a pig?

Said1

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2004
Somewhere in Ontario
Now this guy sounds cool. :laugh:

Man wants to live like pig

AN animal rights activist is seeking a piggery owner who will let him live in a pig stall in an attempt to bring attention to piggery conditions.

Ralph Hahnheuser, from Animal Liberation of South Australia, has challenged commercial piggeries to put him in a sow stall for three weeks.

During that time, Mr Hahnheuser expects that, like many pigs in the cramped pens, he will suffer pressure sores and pneumonia.

"But I'll be fortunate in that I'll be monitored routinely and if things become completely unbearable, I will be able to pull out of it," Mr Hahnheuser said.

"The best a pig can hope for is a bullet in the head." Mr Hahnheuser said sow stalls are two metres long by 60 cm wide, giving pigs no room to turn around.

No bedding covers the often wet and filthy concrete floor, with 65 per cent of pigs kept in the stalls going lame and unable to stand up, he said.

Mr Hahnheuser hoped living in a pen would draw attention to the plight of pigs but said it could have serious repercussions on his health and he could be hospitalised during the stunt.

"This is not something that should be done willy-nilly," he said.

"The point of this is just to show what condition the pigs are kept in.

"To give them no straw, no bedding, no nothing is totally reprehensible and there's no excuse for it."

He said he was having difficulty finding a piggery that would agree to his challenge.

Mr Hahnheuser is currently facing contamination of goods charges after he allegedly fed ham to a shipment of sheep bound for halal-conscious Muslim markets.

Almost 2,000 sheep had to be slaughtered and a shipment of 73,000 animals to Kuwait was delayed for two weeks following the discovery of ham in a sheep feedlot at Portland, in Victoria's south-west, last November.

Article

Forum List

Back