Man Tries to Pay Fine With Pennies, Court Says NO, Issues Warrant

Paulie

Diamond Member
May 19, 2007
cbs3.com - Warrant Issued For New Jersey Man Frank Gilberti Paying Traffic Fine With Pennies

Penny Problem Puts Man In Trouble With N.J. Town

Warrant Issued After Man Tried To Pay $56 Traffic Fine With Coins

NUTLEY, N.J. (CBS) ― A Nutley, N.J. man is putting in his two cents about what he calls a lot of non-cents over a traffic ticket.

He has been trying to pay his fine in pennies, but the town is demanding he change his way of paying.

"It's very easy to count. It goes in 10s. I mean, there's five rows of 10s," Frank Gilberti said.

Gilberti showed 112 rolls of pennies to CBS station WCBS-TV in New York City. He said he thought he could use the coins to pay a traffic fine at the Bloomfield Municipal Court.

"I went to the bank and got $56 worth of rolled pennies and went down to the court house and they refused to take it. They had told me to bring cash. I was under the assumption this was cash."

Last time I checked, pennies were legal tender for ALL debts. There is no legal basis for this court's move whatsoever. Not accepting the pennies for payment was bad enough, but issuing a warrant for arrest??

What is this country coming to?

cbs3.com - Warrant Issued For New Jersey Man Frank Gilberti Paying Traffic Fine With Pennies

Last time I checked, pennies were legal tender for ALL debts. There is no legal basis for this court's move whatsoever. Not accepting the pennies for payment was bad enough, but issuing a warrant for arrest??

What is this country coming to?

And last time I checked, no judge was going to allow some disgruntled person to force some poor state worker to sit there counting pennies so he can be as obnoxious as humanly possible. And, if you look at the article, the jerk went to the bank and ASKED for 112 rolls of pennies. If I were the judge, I'd kick his butt, too.

Just sayin'

This is just bullshit. The judge should be stripped of all licenses and arrested for treason.

depending on what year his pennies were minted, he could actually be overpaying the fine.

but the arrest warrant was bogus. that fucking judge should be hauled into jail for abuse of power.

And last time I checked, no judge was going to allow some disgruntled person to force some poor state worker to sit there counting pennies so he can be as obnoxious as humanly possible. And, if you look at the article, the jerk went to the bank and ASKED for 112 rolls of pennies. If I were the judge, I'd kick his butt, too.

Just sayin'

Yeah because those court employees have SOOO much work to do :rolleyes:

Jill, you're a lawyer. You know damn right well there's no legal basis to refuse the pennies, and certainly none to issue a warrant. The man paid a fine legally, no matter how obnoxious you may think it is.

Just sayin'

Yet are not these bank rolls of pennies certified by the bank? And if, in the count, it was somehow determined that he was $0.02 short, would he not be informed that he would be responsible for those $0.02?

The currency he provided was legal tender, whether this bozo judge or bozo clerk liked it or not... and this is wrong of the judge... whether they believe, you believe, or I believe this person was just doing it to be obnoxious or not... the fact remains he offered government issued legal tender to pay for his fine

So far, the only one who even REMOTELY agrees with this is a lawyer.

Go figure :rolleyes:

Yeah because those court employees have SOOO much work to do :rolleyes:

Jill, you're a lawyer. You know damn right well there's no legal basis to refuse the pennies, and certainly none to issue a warrant. The man paid a fine legally, no matter how obnoxious you may think it is.

I am a lawyer. And if I were the judge I wouldn't allow it either.

Have you ever worked in a courthouse? Or had to stand behind someone who pulled a bonehead move like that?

I understand what you're saying about it being legal tender, but the guy was trying to make a point by doing it in pennies.

All he has to do is get his butt back to the bank where he got the pennies in the first place. Real simple.

Does that give anyone a clue why people are so inflamed by the justice system today/?

I am a lawyer. And if I were the judge I wouldn't allow it either.

Have you ever worked in a courthouse? Or had to stand behind someone who pulled a bonehead move like that?

I understand what you're saying about it being legal tender, but the guy was trying to make a point by doing it in pennies.

All he has to do is get his butt back to the bank where he got the pennies in the first place. Real simple.
It still should not matter Jillian,. It is a perfect way of peaceful protest.

Many wish to take those rights away and people are tired of it.

Idiotic.

Currency is Currency.

Please point to me the law that a citizen needs to pay fines in dollars. It just needs to be paid. The judge has no right to tell someone how they should pay it, just that they need to pay it.

The guy should go back with nickels

Pennies is a form of currency used in this country.

who gives a shit what hes protesting or if he is.

It's not illegal, and the state should accept it.

The judge has no authroity on telling someone in what manner the fine should be paid, just that he has to pay it

And what's he protesting? The fact that he got himself a ticket?

I don't think he was protesting anything. he was doing EXACTLY what a law abiding citizen should do. he was paying a fine issued by the court in the legally recognized currency of the country.

he broke no law by doing so.

Worse. I worked in a bank for nearly five years. I counted more coin than that on a daily basis. Did I hate it? Yes. Did I do it? Yes.

If the clerk didn't like it, tough shit. He or she can quit the job and find a new one.

Forum List

Back