Man to be executed, Governor refuses DNA test

1) I am all for DNA testing in cases where there actually is evidence, one way or another, that sways in the balance between guilt and innocence

2) When do the appeals stop? What test next? There is a point where everything is exhausted, but our system of seemingly endless appeals keeps death row scum alive longer than the families of victims

3) I am all for the death penalty. Once fried or skewered or injected or gassed or shot or hung or whatever, the repeat crime rate of that person is exactly 0%. A sane society eliminates it's maniacal killers

1) I am all for DNA testing in cases where there actually is evidence, one way or another, that sways in the balance between guilt and innocence

2) When do the appeals stop? What test next? There is a point where everything is exhausted, but our system of seemingly endless appeals keeps death row scum alive longer than the families of victims

3) I am all for the death penalty. Once fried or skewered or injected or gassed or shot or hung or whatever, the repeat crime rate of that person is exactly 0%. A sane society eliminates it's maniacal killers

As long as you are willing to put your money where your mouth is and go to the chair yourself if it is conclusively proven any innocent person has been executed, then you aren't a hypocrite.

Funny

With my morals and behavior, I don't see putting myself in that type of situation...

Innocent people die. Eyewitness tesimony is often totally wrong.

I say if there's DNA evidence to be gathered it should be done ESPECIALLY in capital cases.

If the state is going to take a man's life for a crime -- the ultimate price of mortal men and there are no do-overs -- then the state needs to exhaust EVERY means to ensure there is no mistake.

I get frustrated with the appeals process too, but fixing THAT makes more sense and is more morally acceptable to me than executing innocent people.

Imagine how that must feel. KNOWING you did not commit a crime and watching them execute you and nothing you can say is going to stop it. When that can come down to how good a lawyer you can get, the system's broken.

People get caught up too much in the moral argument as the problem without looking at actual cause and effect. We have the death penalty. We use the death penalty. Is our application of the death penalty foolproof?

Not even close. Fix what's broken first. THEN argue your morals.

I doubt the ones that are executed for something they didn't do never saw themselves in that position either.

Except that many are career criminals or criminals of another sort that were in a situation or put themselves in a situation to be where they are...

Could I be thrust into a weird situation where my fingerprints are somewhere and an eyewitness confuses my average looks for someone else's? yep... there is a chance of ANYTHING happening in this world... but with proper decision making in life, it is HIGHLY unlikely

Except that many are career criminals or criminals of another sort that were in a situation or put themselves in a situation to be where they are...

Could I be thrust into a weird situation where my fingerprints are somewhere and an eyewitness confuses my average looks for someone else's? yep... there is a chance of ANYTHING happening in this world... but with proper decision making in life, it is HIGHLY unlikely

So your position is that these people likely deserved it anyways? :confused:

Nice try...

My position is that many times, they are in this position because of choices and other behaviors... not that anyone that is not a murderer (or child molester, in my eyes) is 'deserving' of the death penalty

Riiiiiiight! I mean Sean Bell was leaving a strip club without a weapon and NYPD gave him the death penalty.

Stupid perspective.

Riiiiiiight! I mean Sean Bell was leaving a strip club without a weapon and NYPD gave him the death penalty.

Stupid perspective.

And you jump yards ahead again.. instead of dealing with the statement and associated situation...

As stated... many have history, actions during that time, etc that put them into the situation to be charged, tried, and convicted....

I just have a way of behaving and a code of conduct where I do not put myself in those situations

I get the distinct feeling you have a complete distrust of the judicial system and the law eforcement arm of it.

Contempt is more like it. Being arrested in Roland, OK after having drugs planted on you by an officer of the law and paying $1000 to get out of jail and $1500 for a lawyer to squash it easily because the town is one of the most corrupt in America and under investigation by the FBI will give one a sour attitude. But hey, I could have sued in Muscogee Federal Court! (I live in Massachusetts) How well do you think that would have gone? ("We don't smoke weed in Muscogee"). I was on I-40. Do a search on i-40 Roland OK police and see what happens.

Sequoyahcountytimes.com

Tulsa World: I-40 tickets keep town Roland in cash

Roland Oklahoma Police Officer Ken Cole Arrested And Suspended | Bad Cop News

Rip Off Report: Roland, Oklahoma Police Department & Lieutenant R. Jasna #3 Yet another attempted Unlawful Search & Seizure Roland Oklahoma

Its a big game to get your money.

Contempt is more like it. Being arrested in Roland, OK after having drugs planted on you by an officer of the law and paying $1000 to get out of jail and $1500 for a lawyer to squash it easily because the town is one of the most corrupt in America and under investigation by the FBI will give one a sour attitude. But hey, I could have sued in Muscogee Federal Court! (I live in Massachusetts) How well do you think that would have gone? ("We don't smoke weed in Muscogee"). I was on I-40. Do a search on i-40 Roland OK police and see what happens.

Sequoyahcountytimes.com

Tulsa World: I-40 tickets keep town Roland in cash

Roland Oklahoma Police Officer Ken Cole Arrested And Suspended | Bad Cop News

Rip Off Report: Roland, Oklahoma Police Department & Lieutenant R. Jasna #3 Yet another attempted Unlawful Search & Seizure Roland Oklahoma

Its a big game to get your money.

I meant that more as a question than a statement, and did not mean it to be taken as criticism.

I have no love for, nor intrinsic trust in law enforcement nor the judiciary. Neither do I default everything they do to corrupt, power-abusing bureaucrats.

Distrusting the government is a good thing, IMO. More people should try it instead of blindly following along.

Convio: Site Not Found

This is why I'm against the death penalty.

How dare anyone execute this man until a DNA test has proven his guilt or innocence. What if he is an innocent man? What will happen if it is revealed he is innocent?
This is a huge risk being taken here, a potentially innocent man could be executed, and one person is standing in the way of proving once and for all whether he is guilty.

I meant that more as a question than a statement, and did not mean it to be taken as criticism.

I have no love for, nor intrinsic trust in law enforcement nor the judiciary. Neither do I default everything they do to corrupt, power-abusing bureaucrats.

Distrusting the government is a good thing, IMO. More people should try it instead of blindly following along.

I assure you I took no offense at all. I admit my perspective is likely biased. I only tried to give context to the bias.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/31/us/31execute.html?ref=us
On Monday, a convicted murderer serving a life sentence in Alabama stepped forward with a handwritten affidavit claiming that he, and not Mr. Arthur, was responsible for the murder. The convict, Bobby Ray Gilbert, said in the affidavit that he shot Mr. Wicker in the face at the behest of Ms. Wicker, whom he said he had met in a nightclub.

And here is no surprise to me...
Mr. Arthur’s lawyers said in legal filings that the state now acknowledges it cannot find what the lawyers say could be a critical piece of evidence if subjected to DNA testing — a rape test performed on Ms. Wicker.

Stinks of cover up.

I assure you I took no offense at all. I admit my perspective is likely biased. I only tried to give context to the bias.

Understood. I have no love for cops. Miami-Dade Metro specifically. Used to laugh my ass off when Miami Vice made them look actually competent. It only takes 8 of those asshat pussies to beat down one suspect.

In context, that was in the 70s. I have no idea how they are now.

Forum List

Back