Man sues Germany for Nazi art seizure

CrimsonWhite

*****istrator Emeritus
Mar 13, 2006
Guntucky
Interesting.

NASHVILLE, Tenn. - An 82-year-old Holocaust survivor and his family are suing the German government over an extensive art collection, including paintings by El Greco and Peter Paul Rubens, seized by the Nazis and sold at auction during World War II.

The lawsuit is unusual because it is seeking damages for lost art rather than the return of items that once belonged to Holocaust victims, lawyers said. The suit estimates the 400 or more works would be worth "tens of millions" of dollars today.

Retired economics professor Fred Westfield said he was celebrating this 12th birthday when he last saw his uncle, Walter Westfeld, a renowned art collector. Two days later came Kristallnacht, or the Night of Broken Glass, on Nov. 9, 1938, when Nazis looted and burned Jewish synagogues and businesses across Germany and Austria.

Man sues Germany for Nazi art seizure - Life- msnbc.com

I'm glad someone out there is willing to take on Germany, to remind us of the horrors of the Holocaust, and to fight for what's right. Maybe Steven Spielberg can make a movie about this!

I'm glad someone out there is willing to take on Germany, to remind us of the horrors of the Holocaust, and to fight for what's right. Maybe Steven Spielberg can make a movie about this!

Yes, and you and sunni boy can rewrite the script, and call it:

"Nazis, Lies and Video Tape"

Or:

"Racist Fiction"

maybe:

"Closed Minds of the Third Kind" -or should that be "Closed Minds of the Third Reich?"

That kind of stuff happens quite often, while one gets back pictures now in possession of the gouverment quite quickly and easily, it is something entirely different if the pictures are now owned by private persons.
So far the German gouverments stance was to hand back pictures but do not pay money, apart form that it also depends on the nationality of the suer, on the time of the thing (if it was during wartime and Germany paid Reperation to the country in question you are out of luck, not so in this case) and a bunch of other factors.

Apart from that I kinda wonder when Mexicans sue Spain for the Atzec Gold.

Forum List

Back