Man shotgun blasts drone spying on his daughters from his back yard. Good for him.

R

rdean

Just watched it on the news. A man's two teenage daughters were bikini sun bathing in the privacy of their own home. A camera drone comes down and hovers over the two young girls. They call their father. He sees the drone hovering and goes back inside and gets his shotgun.

BAM!

Drone lands in separate pieces. Four men show up and the guy tells them he will defend his property.
They leave and the police show up and arrest the guy and he is charged with destruction of property and weapons discharge.

First, if it had been a black guy, we know what would have happened. But it wasn't.

So whose side are you on?

Me personally? Four grown men show up after watching my two daughters without consent? Lucky they weren't shot as far as I'm concerned.

What do you think?

The drone cost $1,800.00

Does that matter?

Just watched it on the news. A man's two teenage daughters were bikini sun bathing in the privacy of their own home. A camera drone comes down and hovers over the two young girls. They call their father. He sees the drone hovering and goes back inside and gets his shotgun.

BAM!

Drone lands in separate pieces. Four men show up and the guy tells them he will defend his property.
They leave and the police show up and arrest the guy and he is charged with destruction of property and weapons discharge.

First, if it had been a black guy, we know what would have happened. But it wasn't.

Me personally? Four grown men show up after watching my two daughters without consent? Lucky they weren't shot as far as I'm concerned.

What do you think?

The drone cost $1,800.00

Does that matter?

The discharge of a fire arm is the issue.

Destruction of private property? To me no different than pruning the branches of a neighbors tree that grew onto my yard.

We just need a solution to drones that don't require shotgun pellets flying- but yes- I approve of this dad's actions(assuming that firing the shotgun was otherwise safe in the area.)

Destruction of private property? To me no different than pruning the branches of a neighbors tree that grew onto my yard.

We just need a solution to drones that don't require shotgun pellets flying- but yes- I approve of this dad's actions(assuming that firing the shotgun was otherwise safe in the area.)

The shotgun was entirely appropriate.

It was the correct response to the assault on his minor daughters.

Good for Dad. Bad or Americans. The police just told you that you do NOT have the right to defend your property. Get used to that. Businesses and the gov. are going to be using drones more and more and the gov. will simply pass a law that it is against the law to wilfully destroy government property.

Good for Dad. Bad or Americans. The police just told you that you do NOT have the right to defend your property. Get used to that. Businesses and the gov. are going to be using drones more and more and the gov. will simply pass a law that it is against the law to wilfully destroy government property.

I suspect the police will drop the charges.

IF this went forward, it could go very badly for those who oppose basic property rights.

The shotgun was entirely appropriate.

It was the correct response to the assault on his minor daughters.

Hmmm look- as the father of a teenage daughter myself, I could certainly see being tempted to do the same thing.

But his daughter was not assaulted(the other girl was not his daughter)- otherwise we would have Dad's shooting middle age men on the beach every weekend.

Rdean

Never thought I would agree with you, but the Dad's response was perfectly appropriate, or at least understandable (as long as he didn't endanger anyone with the shot)...

Grown men spying on teenage girls that expected privacy (since they were in one's back yard) should have been charged themselves....

Last edited:
Hmmm look- as the father of a teenage daughter myself, I could certainly see being tempted to do the same thing.

But his daughter was not assaulted(the other girl was not his daughter)- otherwise we would have Dad's shooting middle age men on the beach every weekend.

Actually, using a hidden or surreptitious camera to film someone against their will is assault.

This is interesting, I know that Louisville is a far left enclave. But I suspect, based on the posts for the TV station covering the story, that this could blow up in the face of the police and DA, should it go to court - particularly if there were appeal to federal court and ancillary charges of civil rights violations.

I think a DA would a complete fool to let this go before a jury, AND that any defense attorney would be a fool to take a deal. There is no upside for the city in this action.

BAM!

What do you think?

The drone cost $1,800.00

Does that matter?
Saw this story a couple days ago.
Glad you agree Rdean.
:thup:

“William H. Merideth was arrested and charged with 1st degree criminal mischief and 1st degree wanton endangerment.”

http://unofficialnetworks.com/2015/08/man-arrested-for-shooting-down-drone-flying-over-sunbathing-daughters

This is one of many reasons why shooting at drones is a bad idea, no matter how justified one might believe himself to be.
If nothing else it's a violation of one's personal airspace.

The guys "claim" they were using it to film another property nearby.
Oh well. Should've cleared you flightpath
:D

good for the dad

the drone pilots should be charged for not maintaining separation from buildings and persons

"Airspace" is not owned by the property owner.

I am very tempted to approve what Dad did, anyway.

Actually, using a hidden or surreptitious camera to film someone against their will is assault..

a) Maybe you are correct- but I can't find any such law and
b) Clearly that camera was no hidden or surreptitious.

Meanwhile- I think the only thing that may be pursued will be the discharge of weapon within the city limits.

And maybe it will lead to Louisville to address the issue of trespass by drone.

Forum List

Back