Man parachuting from 120,000 feet Live NOW

Aborted

The "live" feed is a joke.

It has only recently been aborted. I was watching as the winds came up and tore the tethers loose from the ground crew.

I left and came back during the countdown...
If they'd left the cameras up I guess the abortion would have been anti-climatic.
The site's graphics were running behind, one would think he was up and away while still tethered to the crane.

There wouldn't be a hell of a lot of G force anyway. Increasing atmosphere should slow him down gradually to a fairly normal freefall speed that is experienced by any jumper.

I don't know, I'd rather see Robbie Knevel wearing the same protective clothing jumping 40 school buses on a motorcycle.

The current record holder did pass out on his first high altitude attempt.

And the automatic chute deployment was what saved his life. :cool:

incorrect.

Joseph Kittinger - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This was not the world record jump...
Kittinger's first high-altitude jump, from about 76,400 feet (23,300 m) on November 16, 1959, was a near-disaster when an equipment malfunction caused him to lose consciousness.[2] The automatic parachute opener in his equipment saved his life.

this was...
On August 16, 1960, he made the final jump, from the Excelsior III, at 102,800 feet (31,300 m).[2] Towing a small drogue parachute for initial stabilization, he fell for four minutes and 36 seconds, reaching a maximum speed of 614 miles per hour (988 km/h)[4][5] before opening his parachute at 18,000 feet (5,500 m). Pressurization for his right glove malfunctioned during the ascent, and his right hand swelled up to twice its normal size.[6][7] He set historical numbers for highest balloon ascent, highest parachute jump, longest drogue-fall (four minutes), and fastest speed by a human being through the atmosphere.[8] These are still current USAF records, but were not submitted for aerospace world records to the Fédération Aéronautique Internationale (FAI).

Forum List

Back