Man mistakenly arrested-for burglarizing own home-is jailed

Dude111

VIP Member
Jun 6, 2011
Cops suck,they really do!!!

THEY THINK THEY CAN DO WHATEVER THEY WANT AND ITS SICKENING!!

According to testimony, the officers sprayed pepper spray under the crack in the bathroom door and Saucedo came out of the bathroom and resisted arrest, at which point police shot him multiple times with a pepper ball gun.

Police then tackled Saucedo, who was fighting being taken into custody, to the living room floor, Davis said. In the process Saucedo suffered a large gash to the top of his head, according to testimony in his trial Tuesday. [more]

http://lufkindailynews.com/news/local/article_f9d8d756-b27e-11e0-912d-001cc4c002e0.html

According to testimony, the officers sprayed pepper spray under the crack in the bathroom door and Saucedo came out of the bathroom and resisted arrest, at which point police shot him multiple times with a pepper ball gun.

Police then tackled Saucedo, who was fighting being taken into custody, to the living room floor, Davis said. In the process Saucedo suffered a large gash to the top of his head, according to testimony in his trial Tuesday. [more]

Man mistakenly arrested for burglary of his own home faces jury on charge of resisting arrest in same incident - The Lufkin Daily News: Local & State

The only thing I don't like about it is that there were two Spanish speaking officers on the scene. They should have tried to communicate with the suspect and did not. Other than that, however, the police probably acted pretty reasonably, based on the facts as I read them in this article.

However, I don't think that resisting arrest charges should have been filed, under the circumstances.

Man mistakenly arrested for burglary of his own home faces jury on charge of resisting arrest in same incident - The Lufkin Daily News: Local & State

Assuming the testimony is accurate, it appears there were errors on both sides here. It's understandable how and why this happened.

Assuming the testimony is accurate, it appears there were errors on both sides here. It's understandable how and why this happened.

That's pretty much the way I see it.

What "errors" did a man who does not speak English, or even think like an adult, make?

Yes he did kick in the door and everyone knows who the police are.

Bet he was high.

What "errors" did a man who does not speak English, or even think like an adult, make?

They spoke Spanish to him and he still didn't answer. Where did you get the idea he can't think like an adult? I didn't read in there that he was retarded.

You need to bear in mind the cops had no idea who he was and since he didn't answer them and hid from them they naturally assumed he was an intruder, as you and I both would have as well had we been one of the police officers.

Believe me, I'm a big civil libertarian and a strong critic of the methods deployed by law enforcement, but they need to be given some reasonable latitude. From what I have read, I don't believe the police were solely at fault here.

They spoke Spanish to him and he still didn't answer. Where did you get the idea he can't think like an adult? I didn't read in there that he was retarded.

You need to bear in mind the cops had no idea who he was and since he didn't answer them and hid from them they naturally assumed he was an intruder, as you and I both would have as well had we been one of the police officers.

Believe me, I'm a big civil libertarian and a strong critic of the methods deployed by law enforcement, but they need to be given some reasonable latitude. From what I have read, I don't believe the police were solely at fault here.

I have been following this story for a while so I know that he had been described as having the mind of a child.

Angelina County jury finds man guilty of evading arrest after being mistaken for burglar in his own home - The Lufkin Daily News: Local & State

Did I say the cops should know who he was?

A neighbor reported the door being kicked in, that does not mean the door was kicked in. The fact that no one actually tried to say that it was kicked in at any point during the trial tells me it wasn't.

As for them speaking Spanish, that was brought up at trial. From the OP.

When asked if anyone attempted to speak Spanish to Saucedo, Davis said police asked him if he spoke English.“And what did he say?” Deaton asked.
“No response,” Davis answered.

I still want to know what mistakes the guy made in hiding from people in his own home. I really want to know what he did wrong that got this comment from the judge.

From my link earlier.

“I haven’t heard from you and I have no idea why you didn’t speak. That causes me some trouble. I don’t agree with the notion you are a victim in this case,” Flournoy said. “I think your actions put you and the officers in harm’s way. This could have been easily avoided.”

WTF? Did this guy go to law school? The right to remain silent is inviolable in a criminal case, why is the judge using the fact that he exercised it at all. Additionally, how did he put anyone in harms way? It was his house, and the police entered it without his permission. I wouldn't have had a problem if he shot every single one of them for that. He didn't do that, he hid in the bathroom, just like any other child would.

A neighbor reported the door being kicked in, that does not mean the door was kicked in. The fact that no one actually tried to say that it was kicked in at any point during the trial tells me it wasn't.
From the OP:

When Deaton played the audio from inside Davis’ car, Davis can be heard telling Cagnon, “He lives there? OK, why did he kick the door in?”

From the OP:

When Deaton played the audio from inside Davis’ car, Davis can be heard telling Cagnon, “He lives there? OK, why did he kick the door in?”

When Deaton played the audio from inside Davis’ car, Davis can be heard telling Cagnon, “He lives there? OK, why did he kick the door in?” After a short pause, the officer says, “All right, what do we need to do?”
Deaton contended in court that Lufkin Police had no intention of filing an evading arrest charge against Saucedo until after they realized the burglary charge would not stick.
“At the jail you didn’t say anything about resisting arrest, just the burglary,” Deaton said to Davis.
“Sir, burglary is the more serious offense,” Davis said.

The door was not kicked in, it was reportedly kicked in. Even if it had been kicked in the cops were wrong to arrest the guy and charge him with burglary after they knew he lived there. That makes the cops wrong, period. The fact that this guy happens to be Hispanic is irrelevent to everyone but a few assholes.

I guess you think this is how people should behave when cops come to you're door.

From the OP:

When Deaton played the audio from inside Davis’ car, Davis can be heard telling Cagnon, “He lives there? OK, why did he kick the door in?” After a short pause, the officer says, “All right, what do we need to do?”
Deaton contended in court that Lufkin Police had no intention of filing an evading arrest charge against Saucedo until after they realized the burglary charge would not stick.
“At the jail you didn’t say anything about resisting arrest, just the burglary,” Deaton said to Davis.
“Sir, burglary is the more serious offense,” Davis said.

The door was not kicked in, it was reportedly kicked in. Even if it had been kicked in the cops were wrong to arrest the guy and charge him with burglary after they knew he lived there. That makes the cops wrong, period. The fact that this guy happens to be Hispanic is irrelevent to everyone but a few assholes.

If I own the house, I can kick in any part of it I want. I was taught the cops were there to help us. And until the last few years, I have believed that. But every day they cross the line into completely unconstitutional territory.

Kicked in the door, then he evaded and resisted the police.

Kinda reminds me of Prof whats-his-face, who would not show police his ID proving he actually lived there. The police had to go on the assumption that he was B&E.

Enter...the beer summit :rolleyes:

And then I am thinking...

"Sauceda, who Deaton described as having the mind of a child, then locked himself in the bathroom and refused to come out despite repeated warnings by the officers on scene.
“A person should feel secure in their own home. No matter black, white, Hispanic, Asian, I don’t care who they are, they should feel secure in their own home,” Deaton said. “The police have no right to come in your house and push you around and beat you up and do the things they did on March, 15, 2009.”
Deaton blamed a language barrier for Sauceda’s failure to respond to police, but prosecutor Gary Taylor attempted to diffuse that notion by comparing the similarities in the English word “police” and Spanish word “policia.”
“You have to look at it through the eyes of Marco Sauceda,” Deaton said. “He doesn’t think like you and I do. He has a child’s mind. He operates on a lower level thinking than you and I do. Number two, he doesn’t speak this language.”

...that a 30 year old man, living in the USA should know some English. And, being it is Texas, I am quite sure that some of the officers knew SOME Spanish. The defense attorney is scum, in my eyes, stating the defendent had a child's mind. Even young Spanish children know Spanish and English.
There is no proof that he had a 'child's' mind. Only his defense attorney claims that 'fact'.

Oh update!!

Report: Man who resisted arrest feared deportation - The Lufkin Daily News: Local & State

I have been following this story for a while so I know that he had been described as having the mind of a child.

Angelina County jury finds man guilty of evading arrest after being mistaken for burglar in his own home - The Lufkin Daily News: Local & State

When asked if anyone attempted to speak Spanish to Saucedo, Davis said police asked him if he spoke English.“And what did he say?” Deaton asked.
“No response,” Davis answered.

I still want to know what mistakes the guy made in hiding from people in his own home. I really want to know what he did wrong that got this comment from the judge.

From my link earlier.

“I haven’t heard from you and I have no idea why you didn’t speak. That causes me some trouble. I don’t agree with the notion you are a victim in this case,” Flournoy said. “I think your actions put you and the officers in harm’s way. This could have been easily avoided.”

WTF? Did this guy go to law school? The right to remain silent is inviolable in a criminal case, why is the judge using the fact that he exercised it at all. Additionally, how did he put anyone in harms way? It was his house, and the police entered it without his permission. I wouldn't have had a problem if he shot every single one of them for that. He didn't do that, he hid in the bathroom, just like any other child would.

The right to remain silent applies after one has been arrested. Perhaps the judge was lamenting because the defendant didn't speak for himself during trial, even through an interpreter. Probably on advise from his Public Defender.

Anytime anyone does not obey a police officers command, such as the menial 'pull over' if speeding or running a red light, etc, it DOES put police in harms way because they have NO idea who they may be dealing with.

Anyone recall any reports of police officers being shot and killed when attempting a traffic stop? Here's a few:
York Region police officer killed during traffic stop | Posted Toronto | National Post
Two Tampa police officers shot, killed during traffic stop - St. Petersburg Times
Two Arkansas police officers killed during traffic stop on I-40
Traffic stop - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Police officers being killed while responding to B&E calls:
Suburban Detroit police officer shot and killed | Deseret News
TAYLOR: Suspect in officer's killing has a long criminal history (with videos) - thenewsherald.com
News - Hospital Security - Campus Safety Magazine
THE WASHINGTON TIMES, President is present for rapper, absent for cop memorial | Facebook

Stick a fork in me and call me DONE!

Last edited:
Texas has, if I remember correctly, a law that requires an individual to surrender peacefully to LEO even if the the arrest in unwarranted. The only exception would be that the individual had reasonable suspicion that the LEO intended to kill or maim regardless what the suspect did.

One, surrender peacefully to the officers. Two, tell them politely you are the homeowner. Three, tell them politely a lawsuit is coming and they can make it easier by releasing the suspect from custody immediately. Four, regardless of LEO actions after that, sue, sue, sue.

Someone told me putting liens on officers' homes generally caught their attention.

From my link earlier.

The right to remain silent applies after one has been arrested. Perhaps the judge was lamenting because the defendant didn't speak for himself during trial, even through an interpreter. Probably on advise from his Public Defender.

Anytime anyone does not obey a police officers command, such as the menial 'pull over' if speeding or running a red light, etc, it DOES put police in harms way because they have NO idea who they may be dealing with.

Anyone recall any reports of police officers being shot and killed when attempting a traffic stop? Here's a few:
York Region police officer killed during traffic stop | Posted Toronto | National Post
Two Tampa police officers shot, killed during traffic stop - St. Petersburg Times
Two Arkansas police officers killed during traffic stop on I-40
Traffic stop - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Police officers being killed while responding to B&E calls:
Suburban Detroit police officer shot and killed | Deseret News
TAYLOR: Suspect in officer's killing has a long criminal history (with videos) - thenewsherald.com
News - Hospital Security - Campus Safety Magazine
THE WASHINGTON TIMES, President is present for rapper, absent for cop memorial | Facebook

Stick a fork in me and call me DONE!

The right to remain silent applies to everyone before, during, and after arrest.

the only thing that puts a police officer in danger if I am walking away from him is his decision to chase me down and beat the crap out of me. If he makes that choice he deserves it if he trips over the crack on the sidewalk.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back