Man Killed By His Own Dogs -- How Could This Happen?

several happened in my area, feel free to leave little kids around pits I'll stick to non killers

You totally miss the point and your statement doesn't alter reality: Pitbulls aren't running around biting kids in the owners families all the time.

It's irresponsible to leave little kids unsupervised around ANY dog.

Yes, they are. Statistically speaking. More often than any other dog.

Statistics say you're wrong

Indigo Rescue - Adopt a Rescued Animal

This is the findings recently published by the journal of Applied Animal Behavior Science from a study conducted by the University of Pennsylvania.

Dachshunds, originally bred to hunt badgers, do not have a fearsome reputation due to their size, but research found that one in five dachshunds have bitten or tried to bite strangers, and a similar number have attacked other dogs; one in 12 have snapped at their owners. This put them on top of the list of 33 breeds which were rated for their aggression, after academics analyzed the behavior of thousands of dogs.

Following closely on the heels of the Dachshund is the Chihuahua, a dog noted as the smallest breed of dog. Then the feisty Jack Russell.

several happened in my area, feel free to leave little kids around pits I'll stick to non killers

You totally miss the point and your statement doesn't alter reality: Pitbulls aren't running around biting kids in the owners families all the time.

You're right about unsupervised kids and dogs. Most kids bit by pits have parents right next to them, watching, unable to do anything.

No. That is not the point. You totally miss it.

How many pitbulls are there in this country?
How many dog bite fatalities? (average is around 23 per year)?
How many dog bite's are reported each year? (usually only those that require medical treatment get reported which means it's usually larger dogs)

Look at those numbers and tell again how pitbulls are running around biting kids in their owners families all the time. The numbers don't work out to support that claim.

As to them biting more often than any other breed - that depends on the data and the data depends on how accurate breed ID is - which has been shown to not be very accurate. What is accurate, is that when they do bite, they tend to do a lot more damage.

Then you go on to say: Most kids bit by pits have parents right next to them, watching, unable to do anything.

Do you have any statistics to support that claim?

It is genetics in that when you select for certain traits - you are selecting genetics right? Many traits aren't always black/white dominant/recessive so it's difficult to determine what you might get.

I am not a breeder and don't plan on being one - my breed of choice is the (working) Australian Shepherd and, in exploring it's heritage, abilities, genetic issues and temperment issues I am much more comfortable letting a more knowledgable person do it. The breeder of my male dog breeds infrequently - for example, in the 9 years since Cowboy was born, she had no litters for most of those years, and two in the past year between her and a co-breeder. She breeds for herself and to preserve these lines. I have kept my boy intact at her request and she wants to use him. I would really like a puppy someday out of him but this particular female she wants to match him with has an edgy temperment and she is hoping Cowboy will take that edge off a little in the pups. She also asked me if I would mind if I would let her advise me on a pup because it was going to still be a pretty intense litter. Her pups are sold word of mouth to people who she knows or knows of their reputations. She keeps what doesn't sell. To me, that is a good responsible breeder. She doesn't do a whole lot of tests - she does OFA, but that's pretty much it. I did a bit more with Cowboy - I OFA'd, CERF, and ran him through a temperment test (really interesting!) and he has proven himself on sheep and cattle. If his breeder feels he is worth it, I trust her opinon but I would never do it on my own (not the least of which I really couldn't keep possibly a dozen dogs if I couldn't find the right homes for them or had to take them all back)...it's such a huge responsibility to me.

On a side note- German Shepherds have long been a favorite of mine, before I got Aussies, I had several. I love them still and someday, will have another. I know what you mean about the difference between show and working lines - and sometimes it's hard to believe they are the same breed. A friend of mine has a dog out of Czech/E. European lines and she is 4 square and moves beautifully - none of this walking on hocks with that ridiculous over-reaching front end. My aussies would be laughed out of the showring - I've been told by a handler I was chatting with that they can't be shown if they don't have trim - which is bs too.

I've had GSD's all my life. If you get a good GSD you will have the best dog on the planet in my book

I just laid my grand dog Andy to rest last month after 14 years.

Andy was all German working line. Solid temperment. You could take that guy into a crowd of a thousand people and he wouldn't bat an eye. I did some Shutzhund, herding and obedience with him. Kids and adults were equally safe with this big guy. He was protective without being agressive. He was 95 pounds of rock solid. One grand dog that I really miss.

My BC Jake is a rescue. Some dumbass that just had to have a BC. Of course he didn't research before he bought. Dumbass. Anyway Jake has herding titles and he's one great stock dog. He ain't to shabby for someones throwaway dog.

Both Andy and Jake would have been laughed out of the breed ring. What they lack in trim they more than made up for in intelligence and ability. I'll take that any day. LOL

I also have two little guys that I got from the pound. Zip is a Schnauzer/Cairn mix and Murph is a Schnauzer/Poodle mix. Designer dogs. Someone probably payed a bucket full of money for these two mutts and they both ended up at the pound.

Problem solving?? Thats Murph. One smart little pooch.

Love em all.

As for the Pittbull well its not a breed that interests me to own. Have nothing against them but I do believe I will stick with my GSD's and Border Collies and any other little dudes that strike my fancy. LOL

14 years...wow....that is a good life for a GSD, I'm sorry to hear you had to let him go. I like a good many breeds but really love the herding breeds - they are what I seem to end up with and 4 of my 5 dogs are rescues. I love BC's and fostered one I so wanted to keep, but she was young, active, had a lot to give for someone who had fewer dogs and the time to indulge her and work her so she ended up in a great home with BC experience. She too was a "throw away" dog - just hitting adolescence so naturally, they got rid of her rather than work with her. One of the things I love about GSD's though is there sense of humor. One of my GSD's was a "kleptomaniac" - you never knew what you'd find in her crate - forks, spoons, carberator parts, pans out of the sink, socks, bra's and of course an assortment legit toys (she'd follow the other dogs around until they lost interest in the toy they were carrying and then she'd nip in and snag it and haul it off to her crate). Good times :)

Yes 14 is old for a GSD. I got three or four of my dogs to 13.5 and 14 years of age. Ten is considered old for the breed. The BC is longer lived. Fifteen or sixteen is not out of the norm for a Border Collier. My BC Red was 16 when he passed.

Sense of humor?? You bet.

I was at a Shutzhund trial with Andy. I had him off leash and was speaking to a man who had his daughter in a stroller. The stroller had a basket on the back. As I was speaking wih the gentleman Andy loaded up the basket with sticks, rocks, pinecones, paper, you name it.

After watching this production for a while the man finally asked me what the heck Andy was doing. I laughed and told him, "Well. Andy broght a stick and you didn't throw it for him". He decided the stick wasn't a good one so he brought a rock. You still didn't throw it so the pinecone was next. Then the paper and the rest. Andy figured he would bring something that you would throw for him. The guy laughed, picked up the pinecone and started a 30 minute game of fetch with Andy. Andy was in dog heaven. He lived to play ball. He was an awesome dog in every respect.

Jake, a typical BC, is a focused dog. He can move sheep from 30 to 45 feet away. He has great eye and is the most athletic dog I think I have ever seen. He's 12 now but way spry for an older dog.

Many good times with my four legged buddies. Can't imagine life without a dog. LOL

I've had GSD's all my life. If you get a good GSD you will have the best dog on the planet in my book

I just laid my grand dog Andy to rest last month after 14 years.

Andy was all German working line. Solid temperment. You could take that guy into a crowd of a thousand people and he wouldn't bat an eye. I did some Shutzhund, herding and obedience with him. Kids and adults were equally safe with this big guy. He was protective without being agressive. He was 95 pounds of rock solid. One grand dog that I really miss.

My BC Jake is a rescue. Some dumbass that just had to have a BC. Of course he didn't research before he bought. Dumbass. Anyway Jake has herding titles and he's one great stock dog. He ain't to shabby for someones throwaway dog.

Both Andy and Jake would have been laughed out of the breed ring. What they lack in trim they more than made up for in intelligence and ability. I'll take that any day. LOL

I also have two little guys that I got from the pound. Zip is a Schnauzer/Cairn mix and Murph is a Schnauzer/Poodle mix. Designer dogs. Someone probably payed a bucket full of money for these two mutts and they both ended up at the pound.

Problem solving?? Thats Murph. One smart little pooch.

Love em all.

As for the Pittbull well its not a breed that interests me to own. Have nothing against them but I do believe I will stick with my GSD's and Border Collies and any other little dudes that strike my fancy. LOL

14 years...wow....that is a good life for a GSD, I'm sorry to hear you had to let him go. I like a good many breeds but really love the herding breeds - they are what I seem to end up with and 4 of my 5 dogs are rescues. I love BC's and fostered one I so wanted to keep, but she was young, active, had a lot to give for someone who had fewer dogs and the time to indulge her and work her so she ended up in a great home with BC experience. She too was a "throw away" dog - just hitting adolescence so naturally, they got rid of her rather than work with her. One of the things I love about GSD's though is there sense of humor. One of my GSD's was a "kleptomaniac" - you never knew what you'd find in her crate - forks, spoons, carberator parts, pans out of the sink, socks, bra's and of course an assortment legit toys (she'd follow the other dogs around until they lost interest in the toy they were carrying and then she'd nip in and snag it and haul it off to her crate). Good times :)

Yes 14 is old for a GSD. I got three or four of my dogs to 13.5 and 14 years of age. Ten is considered old for the breed. The BC is longer lived. Fifteen or sixteen is not out of the norm for a Border Collier. My BC Red was 16 when he passed.

I was at a Shutzhund trial with Andy. I had him off leash and was speaking to a man who had his daughter in a stroller. The stroller had a basket on the back. As I was speaking wih the gentleman Andy loaded up the basket with sticks, rocks, pinecones, paper, you name it.

After watching this production for a while the man finally asked me what the heck Andy was doing. I laughed and told him, "Well. Andy broght a stick and you didn't throw it for him". He decided the stick wasn't a good one so he brought a rock. You still didn't throw it so the pinecone was next. Then the paper and the rest. Andy figured he would bring something that you would throw for him. The guy laughed, picked up the pinecone and started a 30 minute game of fetch with Andy. Andy was in dog heaven. He lived to play ball. He was an awesome dog in every respect.

Jake, a typical BC, is a focused dog. He can move sheep from 30 to 45 feet away. He has great eye and is the most athletic dog I think I have ever seen. He's 12 now but way spry for an older dog.

Many good times with my four legged buddies. Can't imagine life without a dog. LOL

:lol: that is so funny, and so so Shepherd! I can't imagine life without a dog either, would be awfully dull. I lost my old red aussie girl Deena this winter, she was 16 and healthy until almost the end - and even at 16, still Queen Bitch ;)

Cowboy doesn't drive yet - our progress is slow because we only get to work on sheep once a month, and sometimes my friend's cattle in between. He has great balance though and wears nicely and he has enough push I think driving will not be difficult. He has more eye than a lot of aussies, and it's interesting to watch him work and build confidence. However, unlike my friend's BC - who is absolutely serious about work, Cowboy is not above splitting the flock and so he can gather them back up if things are too boring.

Great dogs...good times...nice posts :)

You're right about unsupervised kids and dogs. Most kids bit by pits have parents right next to them, watching, unable to do anything.

How many dog bite's are reported each year? (usually only those that require medical treatment get reported which means it's usually larger dogs)

Look at those numbers and tell again how pitbulls are running around biting kids in their owners families all the time. The numbers don't work out to support that claim.

As to them biting more often than any other breed - that depends on the data and the data depends on how accurate breed ID is - which has been shown to not be very accurate. What is accurate, is that when they do bite, they tend to do a lot more damage.

Then you go on to say: Most kids bit by pits have parents right next to them, watching, unable to do anything.

Yes, I already posted the stats. The stats are that a huge percentage of fatalities and bites are from pitbulls, and they are usually children. They are not children who have been left alone in a room with a pit bull, they are children walking by, or playing in the yard with the parents right there.

:lol: that is so funny, and so so Shepherd! I can't imagine life without a dog either, would be awfully dull. I lost my old red aussie girl Deena this winter, she was 16 and healthy until almost the end - and even at 16, still Queen Bitch ;)

Cowboy doesn't drive yet - our progress is slow because we only get to work on sheep once a month, and sometimes my friend's cattle in between. He has great balance though and wears nicely and he has enough push I think driving will not be difficult. He has more eye than a lot of aussies, and it's interesting to watch him work and build confidence. However, unlike my friend's BC - who is absolutely serious about work, Cowboy is not above splitting the flock and so he can gather them back up if things are too boring.

My mom has a chocolate Lab that is like , that girl loves to play, and when she comes over I can't even keep her out of my pool. I don't even try anymore. Her favorite is to play tug of war but she's so strong my mom can't even play with her. Funny though she'll rough house with me all day long and then lay on the porch while my 2 y/o daughter and 5 y/o niece dress her up like a breathing doll and not complain.

I got Jake and Andy in NC where I lived for 10 years. Joined a herding club there and went to class every Saturday. Met a great bunch of likeminded folks with Aussies, BC's, Corgi's and Cattle dogs. We always went to the trials together and had a great time.

Sure hope you and Cowboy could hook up with something like that. Loads of fun and boy does it feel good when your dog qualifies at a trial.

As you say. Great dogs, good times and very, very nice posts.

Yes, I already posted the stats. The stats are that a huge percentage of fatalities and bites are from pitbulls, and they are usually children.

Liar

You didn't post any stats.

They are not children who have been left alone in a room with a pit bull, they are children walking by, or playing in the yard with the parents right there.

And you're backing away from your lies.

My mom has a chocolate Lab that is like , that girl loves to play, and when she comes over I can't even keep her out of my pool. I don't even try anymore. Her favorite is to play tug of war but she's so strong my mom can't even play with her. Funny though she'll rough house with me all day long and then lay on the porch while my 2 y/o daughter and 5 y/o niece dress her up like a breathing doll and not complain.

I had a dog who was my sons' "nana". We lived in the country, in a subirrigated hollow where the grass was 5 feet high, and the boys would go out to play and I couldn't see them. But when Duchess was with them, I could always see them, because she would jump up in the air as they were going along, so she could see up over the grass. All I had to do was locate Duchess and I knew where the boys were.

She also would jump in the water and pull anyone or anything out. What a lovely dog she was. She was my youngest boy's pillow when he was watching tv, and fought with us for space on the beds and covers. We loved her like a member of the family and still miss her horribly.

I had a dog who was my sons' "nana". We lived in the country, in a subirrigated hollow where the grass was 5 feet high, and the boys would go out to play and I couldn't see them. But when Duchess was with them, I could always see them, because she would jump up in the air as they were going along, so she could see up over the grass. All I had to do was locate Duchess and I knew where the boys were.

She also would jump in the water and pull anyone or anything out. What a lovely dog she was. She was my youngest boy's pillow when he was watching tv, and fought with us for space on the beds and covers. We loved her like a member of the family and still miss her horribly.

My freaking Danes drive me nuts when someone is swimming I have to lock them up in their pen. The male runs back and forth the length of the pool barking the entire time anyone is swimming. I don't know what that's about. Put him in his pen though and he doesn't make a peep.

My freaking Danes drive me nuts when someone is swimming I have to lock them up in their pen. The male runs back and forth the length of the pool barking the entire time anyone is swimming. I don't know what that's about. Put him in his pen though and he doesn't make a peep.

Maybe he wants to go for a swim or is worried his people might drown?

More likely, he wants to play with the person in the pool, but he's afraid of the water.

But it could be one of a million reasons. Dogs can be strange

My chow mix is afraid of her own poop :lol:

Oh, he doesn't want to go swimming, he HATES water. It's an all hands on deck job to give him a bath. He's not much for playing either, He'd just as soon be my daughter's farting pillow as anything.

Oh, he doesn't want to go swimming, he HATES water. It's an all hands on deck job to give him a bath. He's not much for playing either, He'd just as soon be my daughter's farting pillow as anything.

If he hates the water, then he's probably warning his people that they're in grave danger.

He's saying "Get out! Get out!"

If he hates the water, then he's probably warning his people that they're in grave danger.

I suspect your right. I just don't what , if anything, can be done about it.

My Parson Russell is the same way, only with the kids in the tub. We have to shut and latch the door while they're taking a bath because otherwise, she stands next to the tub and barks, then stands up on the side of the tub and barks, then gets in and just stands there in the water. She'll drink enough to make her barf while she's standing there - she's not there because she likes the water. She's there because, I have finally determined, she's worried about the kids. Then when she's there she doesn't really know what to do, so she just gulps water. Then pukes it all over my bed.

She's such a spaz, but we love her anyway.

Forum List

Back