Man Fined $400 For Skipping Jury Selection In Boston Marathon Bombing Trial

ShootSpeeders

Gold Member
May 13, 2012
The 13th amendment says -" Neither slavery nor involuntary servitude, except as a punishment for crime whereof the party shall have been duly convicted, shall exist within the United States, or any place subject to their jurisdiction.". So how can forced jury duty be legal?

Man Fined 400 For Skipping Jury Selection In Boston Marathon Bombing Trial

may 1 2015
BOSTON (AP) — A man who skipped the final stages of jury selection in the Boston Marathon bombing trial has been fined $400 and sentenced to 40 hours of community service.

A federal judge imposed the sanction Thursday against Jose Gutierrez of Lawrence.
Judge William Young found that Gutierrez intentionally violated his obligation to serve as a juror by skipping jury service March 3 so he could go to work. Gutierrez had made it through the initial rounds of jury duty.

The judge cited more than 1,300 other prospective jurors who complied with their obligation to appear in court for the trial of bomber Dzhokhar Tsarnaev. The judge told Gutierrez he should be "ashamed" of his decision.

Attorney Hank Brennan, who represented Gutierrez, said he reported for the first two rounds of jury selection, but did not attend the third round because he felt he needed to go to his job as a medical interpretor that day.

Seem to have managed to avoid jury duty all my adult life the legal way by never registering to vote or actually voting. If you do register to vote, and then vote, I think you're signing away some of your rights.

If you don't like your responsibilities either learn to lie and get out of duty, or move, to a country that does not afford jury trials..

• Banned
Seem to have managed to avoid jury duty all my adult life the legal way by never registering to vote or actually voting. If you do register to vote, and then vote, I think you're signing away some of your rights.

Some cities go by the DMV roles. I've been called for jury duty even though i too have never voted or registered to vote.

Not registering to vote used to be a good way to avoid jury duty. That's why the DMV is used in addition to voter registration.

I get called every year and have been chosen every time. I have always been able to avoid being impaneled. Only a total dolt or someone who really wants to gets on a jury.

Some cities go by the DMV roles. I've been called for jury duty even though i too have never voted or registered to vote.
Then you have no right to complain....about anything in our government or laws.

Ss has a poor understanding of the words hes reading.

Avoiding jury duty is easy. Show up. When questioned simply state “the cops wouldn't have arrested the defendant if he wasn't guilty.” The defense attorney will object and you won't be empaneled.

Avoiding jury duty is easy. Show up. When questioned simply state “the cops wouldn't have arrested the defendant if he wasn't guilty.” The defense attorney will object and you won't be empaneled.

Then they'll put you on a civil trial jury.

The 13A also clearly makes the military draft unconstitutional. But we ignore that too. Like Bush said - " the constitution is just a piece of paper".

I must be of a different "breed" or something... I've been called to jury duty only once in my 40+ years and it ended in settlement so I never got to go.

I /want/ to participate, am I really the only one? Maybe they should do a poll of folks who want to participate on a jury and lessen the "burden" on those who don't? I, for one, would happily take the place of someone who did not want to go.

They now also use car registration to fill the jury pool.

I must be of a different "breed" or something... I've been called to jury duty only once in my 40+ years and it ended in settlement so I never got to go.

I /want/ to participate, am I really the only one? Maybe they should do a poll of folks who want to participate on a jury and lessen the "burden" on those who don't? I, for one, would happily take the place of someone who did not want to go.

I've been called a couple times but never had to actually serve. You spend all morning sitting there waiting and then they say "we don't need you - here's $5". It's terrible.

I don't mind Jury duty. I get paid for the days off from my employer... Plus the state...along with mileage .

Subpoenas and summonses to appear in court are part of the judicial system. Jury Duty is a summons. The man was ordered to appear before the court, not serve on the jury.

Then they'll put you on a civil trial jury.
The plaintiff is just looking to win tort lotto. Thry are just lying money grubbers.

I've used both.

I was summoned for federal court when I was going to school full time, and working full time, and being a parent part time. I wrote in, asking to be excused, and was.

Our courts have legalized both bribing and blackmailing of witnesses and i want no part of it.

Forum List

Back